Calories or points plus weight watchers

Options
I'm debating which one to do. Weight watcher points plus counts carbs, fiber, protein but not calories & don't track fruit or veggie

Calories or points plus weight watchers 28 votes

Calories
85%
josette06amfmmamacallsitlikeiseeitDancingMoosiegoal06082021Go_Deskerciseashtree42RedordeadheadParisPrincesseBarbaraHelen2013sbellettikellieolson05knotmelAnnPT77taly114JBanx256superkit1Cinder333Lietchihelen_goldthorpe 24 votes
Points plus
14%
starcroxdcajennsmaysoto7633DRx00 4 votes

Replies

• sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Calories
    Choose the plan you are most likely to stick with and that provides results.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for something I can get for free. And I wouldn't choose a plan that doesn't require me to know how many calories I'm eating if creating a calorie deficit is important.
  • daisygirl1550
    daisygirl1550 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    That's why I'm pondering. Because they are basically saying calories don't count an apple isn't equal to a candy bar even if same calories.

My friends on low carb prove this as well. They eat well over their calories they should be eating a day but since low carb they consistently lose weight. I also listening to a Dr who discusses fasting and it not how much you eat but when and eating less calories lowers metabolism.

So I'm trying to make right decision but everyone is contradicting each other.
  • jdafoe80
    jdafoe80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I am using calories and a backup to WW. I LOVE the community in WW and the weekly topics help keep me engaged in my weight loss journey. Also it helps me with my relationship with food. That is why I think paying for WW is worth it. That being said.....I am more successful at weight loss when I count calories and ensure I am in a calorie deficit for the week.

I think no matter the approach you use, points, calorie counting, fasting, beachbody portion fix, etc. You need to be in calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,588 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, which is the only thing I can do, early on WW might have worked for me. I seldom ate fruit and veg, so being penalized for not doing so might have encouraged me to eat more.

However, nowadays I eat a shedload of fruit and veg- many hundred calories per day (this week notwithstanding- I’m out of state but still have ample fruit and veg in my diary, just less than usual). Most days I eat a mixing bowl sized salad that is easily 150 calories of veg before I start adding meat and roasted edamame. And that’s just lunch.

I can easily eat my weight in fruit every day. Fruit is lower cal and nutritionally better for me, but in quantity it would kill me on WW.

So your initial and follow up choices might depend on your eating style.

I do think, though, that feeling “penalized” for eating foods other than “free” foods might have made my pigheadedness kick in and caused me to specifically eat those foods. Having the option to eat them or not while still counting calories was very liberating for me and made me begin thinking “I can have two cookies or I can have a giant bowl of cottage cheese and fruit for the same calories”. That alone caused me to start making better choices from the get-go.

I am very much a quantity nosher and CICO lends itself to that, imho.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,410 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Calories
    Ooops, duplicate post - network problem.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Calories
    That's why I'm pondering. Because they are basically saying calories don't count an apple isn't equal to a candy bar even if same calories.

My friends on low carb prove this as well. They eat well over their calories they should be eating a day but since low carb they consistently lose weight. I also listening to a Dr who discusses fasting and it not how much you eat but when and eating less calories lowers metabolism.

thats not how any of this works. i dont care if you are eating carrots and grass, if you are eating more calories than your body needs, you will gain weight. doesn't matter if its a candy bar, apples, or lettuce, or steak.

if WHEN you ate affected weight loss, I never would have lost the 200+ pounds I did, as I tend to eat my dinner immediately before bed. And then i get in bed and have my bedtime cookies. I sleep better on a full stomach. And what about people who work swing shifts and their meal timing varies WIDELY on a week to week or even day to day basis? Plenty of them on here who have lost weigh successfully as well.

Stop trying to follow a fad and try good, old fashioned calorie counting. Learn how to weigh and log your food ACCURATELY. on a food scale. ALL your food. Fruits and veg, too. Be honest in your logging. Don't overestimate your exercise calories or activity level. THAT is how you lose weight AND learn to keep it off, which is what is important.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Calories
    Hi! I have spent way too much time on this very question. I have been down the rabbit hole and back on youtube. I did WW years ago, and I have done MFP. I had success on both. However, the WW I did was very different than the one today. At the end of the day, I am going with MFP. 1. It's free 2. It's less restrictive. 3. It is where I have see success for myself most recently.

Another big plus with WW used to be the community. There thousands of sites you could get recipes with point information, now it is different for everyone, that perk is out the window, but you can find tons of great sites that will give you your calories, or even your macros if that is what you want. I also have always relied heavily on the information that I get from this community board.

Either way you go, I do suggest you check out Skinnytaste.com She is awesome and provides information for both.

I recently did Keto, while doing macros, and I lost weight, but I was hungry. You may lose weight, but it is restrictive. Personally, did not see my self maintaining. I finished my 6 week challenge, and decided it was not for me.

Good Luck! I am starting all over again... but I am back and looking forward to feeling better. Feel free to add me if you decide to go MFP.
  • springlering62
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »

I recently did Keto, while doing macros, and I lost weight, but I was hungry. You may lose weight, but it is restrictive. Personally, did not see my self maintaining. I finished my 6 week challenge, and decided it was not for me.

How refreshing for someone to admit they tried something -particularly keto - for the whole plan term, decided it didn’t work for them, and to carry on with something else that may.

You didn’t quit. You just evaluated, shrugged, and kept on keeping on.

Good for you!

I will now don hard hat for the keto fans to throw stones.

And btw @AnnPT77 often states she became Class 1 obese while having been vegan for forty years.

Overeating anything causes gain. I

could happily eat fruit and roasted edamame alllll day long and ya’d think because it’s classified by so many as “good” I’d never gain weight. Nah. Sadly, untrue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you can track carbs and fiber and not track fruits or vegetables...they are carbs and fiber.

Your friends aren't eating well over their calorie needs with low carb and losing weight...because that is biologically impossible. If they're eating a lot of veg and fruit, it is likely they are eating a high volume of food, which doesn't necessarily mean a high number of calories.

WW points have no correlation to calorie content. They inflate points on some foods and deflate other foods and have free foods. The inflated points on "bad" foods make up for the deflation elsewhere. There is zero correlation to actual calories in something. A calorie is just a uniform measurement like an inch or a mile or a watt or whatever.
  • springlering62
    edited February 2022
    Options
    You might be interested in the Volume Eating thread. It made me totally rethink some things.

I now eat massive salads for lunch three or four days a week, and look for foods that don’t punch a lot of calorie weight in large quantities - chicken breast, sirloin tip steak, roasted vegetables, a sack of crunchy finger-vegetables for my front desk volunteer gig, I even bought a case of Oreo candy canes. At 45 calories a pop, they can be volume if I need them to be. 😂 but one is usually enough.

This is the thread I found my beloved yogurt pudding on. Best of all worlds: delicious, protein packed, low cal, rings the dessert bells…..

I suggest going back to page 1 (I can’t get there easily via the app)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread
  • lo2lu2a
    lo2lu2a Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I'm sorry, your friend is either not counting calories correctly or is not telling the whole truth. There is no food at all that results in magic weight loss. Yes, eating less carbs leads to a reduction in water weight as glycogen attracts water. But this is only temporary and initial. Eat more carbs and the water weight is back. Continue doing this and you won't be losing more water. You can lose weight eating nothing but candy, as long as it's less calories than your body burns. Likewise, if you eat nothing but apples (or meat) but more calories than your body needs you will gain weight. Btw, an apple is largely carbs.

It depends a lot also on how you eat. I could eat nothing but free foods as it's naturally how I eat. I would gain weight on weight watchers but never reach my points for the day.

I was comparing WW to MFP and loved your reply. I feel the same way... WW's commercialization is intended to keep people dependent on their latest 'model'. MFP is the real deal - calories & macros ... no over-complication needed :)