Is it normal to lose weight the first week you start ?

Options

Is it normal to lose weight the first week you start ? 22 votes

Yes
63%
alung2k3scarlett_kLiveOnceBeHappyBarbaraHelen2013PalmChrisPrimeSuspect87Seasonal_Onemidlomel1971RunStart34CLICitRavengreywolfLaurenstrong413ReenieHJyessiec8 14 votes
No
4%
DRx00 1 vote
Other
31%
kshama2001cwolfman13goal06082021AnnPT77crb426spiriteagle99Lietchi 7 votes

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Other
    The problem with this question is that it's dependent on a lot of factors. Weight fluctuates so easily due to increased exercise, salt increase, hormones, waste in body, etc. These things may mask weight loss.

If you do it correctly, meaning weighing your food with food scales, and using the appropriate data entries, then yes, you should lose weight (even if the scale doesn't show it). Sometimes it's a pretty good amount that first week and your body gets rid of water weight. Then the next week may be nothing, or an increase. Or maybe nothing that first week, and a lot the second week. Maybe it's nothing for weeks and then a lot all at once.

Weight is never a smooth downward trend. More like a crazy rollercoaster.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Yes
    It feels very normal for me because every time I've ever tried a new diet and came off a bingefest, my prior calorie intake had been abysmally high. :( So I lose 1-3# the first week. Then it settles down to .5-1# a week after that. If I had more to lose, such as 50, I'd lose probably 5 the 1st week. Those numbers are all based on my previous experiences of being a yo-yo dieter all my life. :(
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yes
    I think it's common. I lost 6 pounds the first week! I'm sure it was a lot of water weight, but I was still kind of alarmed. I have my calorie deficit to lose 1 pound a week and I've been very strict about it. The second week I lost a whopping 1/2 pound...haha. At least that's more in line with what I expected. Slow and easy wins the race.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Yes
    I think it's common. I lost 6 pounds the first week! I'm sure it was a lot of water weight, but I was still kind of alarmed. I have my calorie deficit to lose 1 pound a week and I've been very strict about it. The second week I lost a whopping 1/2 pound...haha. At least that's more in line with what I expected. Slow and easy wins the race.

Many years ago I was on WW. I weighed 200#, lost 10# that 1st week and went YEAH!! Then 1# every week after that for the first month. I gave up because back when I was 20, slow and easy never entered my brain. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Other
    I voted other...it is both common to lose weight the first week, but it is also common to not. I lost weight in a very linear fashion for the first 4-5 weeks my first time around, but I was only using diet and easy walks were my only exercise.

Once I started engaging in more strenuous exercise and weight lifting, there were far more fluctuations due to water being retained to aid in repair of broken down tissue. It is highly probable that with starting a diet, along with a massive jump in exercise, that one would not immediately see weight loss due to the amount of inflammation and water retention and stress on the body.