Having a hard time

Options
jadu1536
jadu1536 Posts: 112 Member
edited January 2022 in Chit-Chat
I started talking to this guy off an online dating app back in December, and we had been talking since. We've gone on several dates, and we went out last Tuesday and had a great time, went golfing, out to dinner, etc. I also spent all day with him Wednesday and things were great - but after that he got to be very quiet. I get 1 text a day from him - and I called him on Friday so we talked for 10-15 mins, but other than that no communication.

Because I like him so much, I'm struggling. I keep checking my phone, I find it hard to eat, or go work out. I also find it hard to sleep.

I didn't text or call at all this weekend, but I did send a text this morning in which I asked if he will be traveling tomorrow (he had told me last week he has to travel Tuesday), and that I noticed hes been a little quiet since last week, so I hope everything is okay.

I have left it that - Its really hard and I'm feeling so disappointed, I really felt like we had such a great connection and maybe things were meant to be. I dont think he feels the same way, otherwise, daily contact isn't too much to ask.

Are there any other people dating out there? Do you talk daily? If you don't - does it bother you? Am I reading too much into things? Being too excited? Expecting too much?

Replies

• jadu1536
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    If a man does that, then he is not interested. I would move on.

I guess if they don't reply - then you have no choice. But it's never easy. It would be nice if they would at least tell you that they don't think it can work and give you a reason.
  • jadu1536
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Online dating gave me lots of opportunities to practice the Buddhist concept of Non-attachment :lol:

There was once a man I really liked, but between work, kids, exes, he was just way too busy to be in sync with me.

Most likely though, it means this particular man has moved on, and you should too.

On the plus side, better to know this now.

Ps - men who don't give you a reason often do this because they've met someone else but want to keep you as an option. This is disqualifying as far as I am concerned.

I just find it insane that between last Wednesday and Thursday - they moved on.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    Online dating gave me lots of opportunities to practice the Buddhist concept of Non-attachment :lol:

There was once a man I really liked, but between work, kids, exes, he was just way too busy to be in sync with me.

Most likely though, it means this particular man has moved on, and you should too.

Ps - men who don't give you a reason often do this because they've met someone else but want to keep you as an option. This is disqualifying as far as I am concerned.

But how do you know he wasn't already seeing five other women? You don't.

Anyone who is such a coward that he can't even politely tell you he's doing _ _ _ _ _ isn't worth your time and has shown you who he is. You dodged a bullet. :) You'll be okay!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

There was another man I really liked, and we had a great time when together, but in between he was radio silent for long stretches of time. He was a fabulous cook and had other good qualities, so I put up with this and dated him casually, on his terms.

I thought I meant nothing to him, but when I posted publicly that I was moving back to MA, he was upset. (I might have stayed in FL with him if we'd had a different sort of relationship.)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It may seem strange but, he may really like you--too much, and be afraid of that. Some people are just afraid of getting too close, or he may think you're expecting too much too soon. All I can tell you is that when it's right, you'll know it.

I agree with those that say to cool it down. Let go and start looking for other possibilities. The next person you meet might just be the one you're waiting for.
  • jadu1536
    Options
    I do think we are on different wave lengths, where I am looking for more than him. Might be necessary for me to calm down a little and keep myself busy rather than obsessing over a boy. I think it's something I'm going to have to work on, in order not to scare people away when/if I do really like them. He did message me back today - so I think I'll just have to be nonchalant and try not to show as much concern/affection as I had been doing.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I do think we are on different wave lengths, where I am looking for more than him. Might be necessary for me to calm down a little and keep myself busy rather than obsessing over a boy. I think it's something I'm going to have to work on, in order not to scare people away when/if I do really like them. He did message me back today - so I think I'll just have to be nonchalant and try not to show as much concern/affection as I had been doing.

Just enjoy life. Go out and do the things you like to do. Never a bad thing to play a little hard to get as in don't always be available to him or chase him. Sounds like such high schoolish advice but I think it holds true anyways. If someone feels things are moving too fast they might be thinking whoa there!

Don't hold tons of expectations from a month of dating. Try to reign your heart in a little bit; if something grows great. If not, then just enjoy your time with him.

Good luck finding someone who's perfect for you. :)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I gave up on online dating. For my personality, it just really doesn't work, and I don't think it really works great for most people unless you're mostly looking for a hookup or have a TON of time to invest in it.

Some dating "here's your sign" and/or "stop that woman!" that I've learned in our modern world:
    • If they stop texting, HYS
    • If you are sending 3, 4, 5+ texts for every one of theirs, HYS
    • If they are busy, but won't commit a specific future time either, HYS
    • If they are evasive about what they are busy with, HYS
    • If it's been under 3 months, and you're freaking out about them for ANY reason, HYS
    • If you're the only one asking the other person about their life, HYS
    • If, after the first few dates/month they only get together with you when it's convenient/they're not busy/they have some free time, HYS
    • If all of their current/past relationship problems are/were "her" fault (especially if they still have to deal with exes due to some reason), not just HYS, just freaking RUN
    • If after a few months they still have no interest in including you in anything personal (meeting their friends or family, joining them in the things going on in their life even when it's not "fun," etc), HYS

For me, with my attachment style, if things seem too good - they are, in fact, horrible. Time for me to run. If things are slightly 'boring' and predictable - that's actually the healthier relationship, it's just not as exciting and the feelings are no where near as strong. If I have very strong feelings in the first few months, I need to GTFO because there is a unhealthy reason I am feeling that way.

If you've been dating for awhile (over a month IMO) and communications start to decrease - that's only natural, as long as it's not turning into one-sided conversations. If you're both adults who had full lives before meeting, then there will come a point you won't need that constant contact. I still think daily, even if it's just a good morning and good night should be expected barring a special day here or there. Some people have much higher communication needs than others, and if you're a high-contact person, then you should discuss that before jumping to conclusions.

Ghosting is different though, and sometimes the communication will RAPIDLY decrease, which I generally find to be a ghosting situation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I should mention that there was/is a happy ending for me. I met my partner on OKCupid nine years ago. We are very much in sync on many levels. We both wanted to communicate regularly initially. It may not have been every day, but it was definitely most days.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    I like Tyler Perry's take on relationships. "If somebody wants to walk out of your life, let them go." "When people leave you, let them go." I can feel the handwriting on the wall before I even read it.
  • boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    It's not 100% but I'd say he more than likely moved on and doesn't have the spine to say it. For your sake I hope I'm wrong but I hope you are able to find peace!
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    It’s a crappy feeling when you feel like you are putting in effort, invested time, want more and don’t know where the other person stands. It’s hard not to take personally if you sense they are pulling away. It might help if you find something to distract yourself from the perseverating thoughts.

Sometimes it is better to walk away without creating a bigger issue, even if you really don’t want to, especially if you see red flags early on. You might not be on the same page. It could be a miscommunication but you won’t know unless you ask. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that, then walking away and investing in someone that doesn’t make you guess, might be your answer. Idk - take my two cents with a grain of salt. Best of luck to you.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I gave up on online dating. For my personality, it just really doesn't work, and I don't think it really works great for most people unless you're mostly looking for a hookup or have a TON of time to invest in it.

Some dating "here's your sign" and/or "stop that woman!" that I've learned in our modern world:
    • If it's been under 3 months, and you're freaking out about them for ANY reason, HYS
    • If, after the first few dates/month they only get together with you when it's convenient/they're not busy/they have some free time, HYS
    • If all of their current/past relationship problems are/were "her" fault (especially if they still have to deal with exes due to some reason), not just HYS, just freaking RUN
    • If after a few months they still have no interest in including you in anything personal (meeting their friends or family, joining them in the things going on in their life even when it's not "fun," etc), HYS

For me, with my attachment style, if things seem too good - they are, in fact, horrible. Time for me to run. If things are slightly 'boring' and predictable - that's actually the healthier relationship, it's just not as exciting and the feelings are no where near as strong. If I have very strong feelings in the first few months, I need to GTFO because there is a unhealthy reason I am feeling that way.

If you've been dating for awhile (over a month IMO) and communications start to decrease - that's only natural, as long as it's not turning into one-sided conversations. If you're both adults who had full lives before meeting, then there will come a point you won't need that constant contact. I still think daily, even if it's just a good morning and good night should be expected barring a special day here or there. Some people have much higher communication needs than others, and if you're a high-contact person, then you should discuss that before jumping to conclusions.

Ghosting is different though, and sometimes the communication will RAPIDLY decrease, which I generally find to be a ghosting situation.

Maybe this is why I am still single. I still have to deal with my ex because of the kids and honestly, it was all his fault. When we were together everything was my fault, from the traffic, to the temperature of his food whenever he decided to come home, to him hitting me and choking me. So I think I have taken enough blame and the only thing I take responsibility for is how long I stayed
  • Versicolour
    Options
    To get back on topic... I would take a step back. My experience with online dating is that you never get a reason. I have been the person carrying the conversation. They are happy to reply and engage, but as soon as I stop I hear nothing more.

So my advice is, wait for him to message you instead of reply to you. If the message never comes then he's just not that into you.
  • boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    Options

Maybe this is why I am still single. I still have to deal with my ex because of the kids and honestly, it was all his fault. When we were together everything was my fault, from the traffic, to the temperature of his food whenever he decided to come home, to him hitting me and choking me. So I think I have taken enough blame and the only thing I take responsibility for is how long I stayed

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. I hope you're doing ok now!
  • Versicolour
    Options

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. I hope you're doing ok now!

Thank you. Yeah, it took me a while to recover, but I am all good now. I had a great support system and my kids are my reason for living. Best of all, I don't have to deal with him most of the time!