How can we achieve our fitness goals with a workout partner?

Options
fitness goals with a workout partner

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,465 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    You get up and go to the gym (or outside, your basement or wherever) and workout. In my 60's and have been working out since high school, never had a workout partner.

Nothing wrong with having one, but YOU need to decide YOU are going to do the work and not be dependent on another person.

Best of luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,316 Member
    Options
    What is your question? I can think of a couple of possibilities:

* You have a workout partner, and there's some issue in the partnership, such as they're so much less fit it's holding you back, you can't keep up with them because you're the one less fit and that feels unpleasant for you, or one or the other of you is less motivated so it interferes with planned workouts . . . or something like that?

* You don't have a workout partner, and think you need one. That may or may not be true: It's very individual.

I have workout partners in summer, but not in Winter. It takes a little more will power (not my greatest strength) in Winter (especially because I like my Summer exercise modes better than I like my Winter ones). I do OK most of the time by (improbably) convincing myself that the exercise I've planned is not an option, but a not-to-be-questioned thing like eating, sleeping, toothbrushing, grocery shopping, etc.: It just has to get done. I also use one of the threads here on MFP as an accountability tool - one where people report in what workout they did. (No one beats us up if we don't report in, it's just a personal thing that helps me.)

If you feel like you need a workout partner, and go to a gym, especially maybe in a group class setting, you can make friends with time and patience, and have workout buddies. Or, any other group activity can yield friends that are workout buddies in other ways. (I talking clubs like bike, run, swim, etc. - real life or online ones).

Or, join some workout challenge threads here, in the Challenges part of the Community, or maybe you can find a group in the Groups part of MFP that's active and focused on your preferred workout type(s) (if you have one/some).

Ask your question more clearly, we can help better.
  • Lisa_allenn
    Lisa_allenn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    You get up and go to the gym (or outside, your basement or wherever) and workout. In my 60's and have been working out since high school, never had a workout partner.

Nothing wrong with having one, but YOU need to decide YOU are going to do the work and not be dependent on another person.

Best of luck.

You are right but I think working out with a partner is better than doing it alone. But after sometime I asked my friend to come to the gym and work out with me then I realized that having a workout partner is beneficial for us. We can workout together, motivate each other and have fun.
  • Lisa_allenn
    Lisa_allenn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

* You have a workout partner, and there's some issue in the partnership, such as they're so much less fit it's holding you back, you can't keep up with them because you're the one less fit and that feels unpleasant for you, or one or the other of you is less motivated so it interferes with planned workouts . . . or something like that?

* You don't have a workout partner, and think you need one. That may or may not be true: It's very individual.

I have workout partners in summer, but not in Winter. It takes a little more will power (not my greatest strength) in Winter (especially because I like my Summer exercise modes better than I like my Winter ones). I do OK most of the time by (improbably) convincing myself that the exercise I've planned is not an option, but a not-to-be-questioned thing like eating, sleeping, toothbrushing, grocery shopping, etc.: It just has to get done. I also use one of the threads here on MFP as an accountability tool - one where people report in what workout they did. (No one beats us up if we don't report in, it's just a personal thing that helps me.)

If you feel like you need a workout partner, and go to a gym, especially maybe in a group class setting, you can make friends with time and patience, and have workout buddies. Or, any other group activity can yield friends that are workout buddies in other ways. (I talking clubs like bike, run, swim, etc. - real life or online ones).

Or, join some workout challenge threads here, in the Challenges part of the Community, or maybe you can find a group in the Groups part of MFP that's active and focused on your preferred workout type(s) (if you have one/some).

If you feel like this then you can workout according to yourself because everybody has a different mindset with workout and workout buddies. Many people prefer to workout with a partner. Because working out with a partner can correct each other where they go wrong with a genuine concern and wellbeing in the heart.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by the question. Having a workout partner is fine so long as the goals are the same or similar. You go with your partner and do your thing and meet your fitness goals...again, confused by the question.

• thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just do it! 😁
    I Don't have a workout partner, I go to the gym twice a week and follow a program set up by the trainer. I also do a long walk at least once a week.
    I also have a motivation to stay fit, my weak back muscles were causing my back pain. (Also a relatively new relationship with a younger man! 😉)
    Find your motivation.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Having a workout partner is beneficial when you make bench presses, your muscles give up and you end up pinned to the bench below the bar. ;) Other than that: do what you like. If you want to do a) and your partner b) then you either find a compromise or don't work out together.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,316 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you feel like this then you can workout according to yourself because everybody has a different mindset with workout and workout buddies. Many people prefer to workout with a partner. Because working out with a partner can correct each other where they go wrong with a genuine concern and wellbeing in the heart.

We literally don't know what your question is, in your initial post. We don't know what you're asking, or looking for.
    What are you asking?