Does anyone "save" calories for alcohol?

Options
2»

Replies

• thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Absolutely on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I also try to workout more on those days. What fun would life be without partying on the weekends????? I'm too old to change that habit!!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yup. Doing it for tonight! I had a light lunch and I'll probably have a light dinner as well.
  • finchase
    Options
    I do save up though I don't starve myself during the day. I definitely work out the morning before I go and I've been known to hit the gym a second time in the evening if I get home early from a happy hour. For me, it's not the alcohol that's so bad, especially since I've dropped frozen margaritas in favor of wine or light beer. It's the chips and appetizers that put me over. I think my social life is suffering since I started this program because I don't go out as often in favor of eating sensibly, but I think the times I go out are better because I feel so much better about myself now.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on a night out, do you save your calories?

I have a bad bad habit of doing this.. not sure if It's better to just eat and deal with going over (more like doubling daily calories due to alcohol intake).. or still try to keep within daily intake range calculating drinks into it?
    I don't "save" Calories, but I do exercise for them.

At the weekend I'll do two 40min bike rides and that usually nets me about 500kc extra for the pub. Plus I usually go into town for an hour or two and I found out that also burns about 400kc.

So while I don't save Calories or skip meals, I do work for the pleasure :drinker: It's a great incentive :bigsmile:
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do. Today in fact! There will be beer and bowling and beer....and I can't wait!!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I try to eat lighter (more like 1300-1400 calories) and then drink what I want.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I use it when I've got 100 or so calories left over that I have to use up. And that's almost nightly! ;-)!
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i save..but i also make good alcohol choices and my alcohol intake is usually like 3 beers friday and a few glasses of wine saturday every other weekend... i dont drink when i have my kid at home alone lol soooo..i'm not sure if my opinion counts too much
  • Helen789
    Options
    I save for alcohol and exercise more when I have had a couple of glasses ;-)
  • nessajk
    Options
    Sure, but make sure you eat something solid (protein) shortly before drinking to keep you from getting ridiculously drunk as you would on an empty stomach. Personally, if I get a few drinks in, I tend to forget I'm dieting and start chowing down, too! A glass of water between each drink helps.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I do, but you can't save ALL your calories for alcohol. Eat as reasonably as possible and then drink as reasonably as possible.

What she said!
    And I will also add in a work out!

I do know that I have enough calories for 2 glasses of wine on most days.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on a night out, do you save your calories?

I have a bad bad habit of doing this.. not sure if It's better to just eat and deal with going over (more like doubling daily calories due to alcohol intake).. or still try to keep within daily intake range calculating drinks into it?

Nope i plan for ONE night a week of getting SH_T faced and eating whatever and how much i want should i desire and it hasn't hindered my weight loss at all. I know that the following 6 days of eating under will easily make up for my overage! ENJOY your booze!
  • No1Suspicious
    Options
    I know this thread is kind of old but I heard this story on NPR the other day and thought this news article was relevant.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10/19/drunkorexic-students-saving-calories-for-alcohol/

Long story short, anything to excess is bad for you. Id say if you are saving calories every night of the week to drink, it's probably bad. If you are saving more than half of your calorie intake for the day to drink, it's probably bad. But that's just my opinion, it's all up to your individual judgment.
  • PiersonsWifey
    PiersonsWifey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I save calories for a beer or a glass of wine ... a night of drinking NO WAY ... I want to be thin more than a night of social drinking.
    But if you do plan to drink alternate a glass water per drink. Be sure to eat wisely 3 days prior & 3 days after (strictly nutrient dense foods).

This is what I do!! Crazy to hear someone else say it! I stopped drinking for 51 days (to get through an entire 17 day diet), and when I started drinking again on weekends or whatever, I would drink a beer, then a bottle of water, a beer, and so on. Keeps you hydrated and helps with the hangover too lol.
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    I "save", although I a) exercise, and b) try not to drink too much since I've started doing this. I do miss social drinking, but I guess all of these, plus hydration between drinks, plus dancing the alcohol off (as opposed to just sitting down and drinking) are good tips.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    Yep, I have a glass of wine at night.....sometimes 2......and a half.......or 3 :blushing:
  • barski63
    Options
    I love the idea of taking 1 glass of wine an adding club soda with ice to make two glasses! Gonna try that!
  • charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If I'm going out, I add what I "plan" to eat and drink while out, that way I know in advance how many calories I've got to burn/save during the day.

I prefer to burn rather than save - if I eat normally & exercise during the day, I don't have to worry too much about eating too much or making poor choices at night.

Planning it ahead is a bit boring I guess, but it's a real eye-opener at first and helps you get control over your portions and treats when you're starting out...and I am definitely drinking a lot less and eating far fewer sweets and meals out. Good for the budget too!
  • me2rotten
    Options
    I save them on Friday and Saturday :drinker: