Preventing water retention

Options
I have a bunch of hobbies that often mean spending hours on my feet, in the same spot in the kitchen-baking, cake decorating, etc. And if I’m not doing something in the kitchen, I’m sitting at my sewing machine the entire afternoon. The issue I run into with both scenarios is water retention in my calves. I can eat very well and drink plenty of water, yet at the end of the day, my calves are swollen. The only thing I’ve recently found that seems to help move the fluid out after a day on my feet is hopping on the Peloton for a ride.

The issue is frustrating though, as that fluid retention typically shows up on the scale as a “gain” masking any progress. Does anyone else experience similar issues? Have you found anything that helps flush the fluid out or prevent it entirely? It seems like a cruel joke that the things I enjoy doing the most leave me feeling defeated and discouraged in regards to my health goals.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I have never used these things and never needed them, but my first thought was that perhaps compression stockings are something to look into?

But it is just water retention, so I would also recommend not getting too emotionally invested in your weigh-ins. Perhaps use a weight trending app like Libra or Happy Scale to see the trends beyond the weight fluctuations? I have weight fluctuations too from working out, my period,... But that's just part of weight management, I don't try to manipulate the fluctuations.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    Standing or sitting too long can definitely cause edema in your lower legs. Elevation and exercise are the best ways to alleviate it. Good for you for jumping on the Peleton once it happens, but perhaps taking more frequent breaks while doing your hobbies would help prevent it. Good luck, and check with a medical professional to make sure it isn't a circulatory issue.
  • Une_Poire
    Une_Poire Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No medical background here, but would think you might ask your dr about it if it is consistently a problem.

But from ideas of simple things to try, have you set a timer or used a smart watch to remind yourself to get up and move periodically? Maybe introducing bits of movement to the midst of those activities would help? Are you watching your sodium intake? Are you tracking your water to make sure you are drinking as much as you think?

Maybe move your iron board away from your sewing machine so that you have to add movements? Compression socks?

Good luck finding an answer!
  • Nicoles0305
    Nicoles0305 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I have never used these things and never needed them, but my first thought was that perhaps compression stockings are something to look into?

But it is just water retention, so I would also recommend not getting too emotionally invested in your weigh-ins. Perhaps use a weight trending app like Libra or Happy Scale to see the trends beyond the weight fluctuations? I have weight fluctuations too from working out, my period,... But that's just part of weight management, I don't try to manipulate the fluctuations.

I do use Happy Scale, which does help. And I have used compressions stockings once, back when I had terrible swelling for months after having my son. I try to not let it bother me, I really do, but some days it’s a real struggle. Period and exercise fluctuations don’t bother me anymore-they did once upon a time- but for some reason this does bother me some days.
  • Nicoles0305
    Options
    Standing or sitting too long can definitely cause edema in your lower legs. Elevation and exercise are the best ways to alleviate it. Good for you for jumping on the Peleton once it happens, but perhaps taking more frequent breaks while doing your hobbies would help prevent it. Good luck, and check with a medical professional to make sure it isn't a circulatory issue.

I just had the thought today of setting a timer to take a movement break when I’m planning to be baking or sewing. I’m terrible at at taking breaks. Lol I get in the groove and find it hard to stop what I’m doing.

I see my doc next week. I’ll bring it up then. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about outside of it driving me crazy some days, but obviously I could be wrong.
  • Nicoles0305
    Options
    Une_Poire wrote: »
    No medical background here, but would think you might ask your dr about it if it is consistently a problem.

But from ideas of simple things to try, have you set a timer or used a smart watch to remind yourself to get up and move periodically? Maybe introducing bits of movement to the midst of those activities would help? Are you watching your sodium intake? Are you tracking your water to make sure you are drinking as much as you think?

Maybe move your iron board away from your sewing machine so that you have to add movements? Compression socks?

Good luck finding an answer!

I am seeing my doc next week, so I’ll bring it up with her then.

I just had the thought of using a timer today myself. Sodium is usually not super high- I usually fall below the 2300mg/day number MFP suggests. I’m pretty good about tracking my water. Sometimes I do forget to log one or two, but I’m pretty disciplined in that area.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options

I just had the thought today of setting a timer to take a movement break when I’m planning to be baking or sewing. I’m terrible at at taking breaks. Lol I get in the groove and find it hard to stop what I’m doing.

I see my doc next week. I’ll bring it up then. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about outside of it driving me crazy some days, but obviously I could be wrong.

I don't know whether it's actually a medical problem or not, but it's not a standard, widely common thing among people who have sedentary hobbies, IME. If you still have material amount of weight to lose, that could be a factor of course, so something that would potentially resolve as you get lighter. I'm a sedentary hobbyist (and old-ish, 66), and have quite a few friends who are sedentary hobbyists, so my saying that is just based on a non-representative sample of people I happen to know.

Leaving aside this specific thing, I've found that I sometimes need to be rather firm with my doctor(s) about symptoms that are interfering with my daily life comfort or functioning, i.e., take less a "is this a problem?" approach, more of "this is interfering with my well being: What options do we have for identifying causes and possible solutions?".

You know best about how this is affecting you, of course.

I hope you're able to find some solutions!
  • Nicoles0305
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I don't know whether it's actually a medical problem or not, but it's not a standard, widely common thing among people who have sedentary hobbies, IME. If you still have material amount of weight to lose, that could be a factor of course, so something that would potentially resolve as you get lighter. I'm a sedentary hobbyist (and old-ish, 66), and have quite a few friends who are sedentary hobbyists, so my saying that is just based on a non-representative sample of people I happen to know.

Leaving aside this specific thing, I've found that I sometimes need to be rather firm with my doctor(s) about symptoms that are interfering with my daily life comfort or functioning, i.e., take less a "is this a problem?" approach, more of "this is interfering with my well being: What options do we have for identifying causes and possible solutions?".

Thanks. I’m about 35-40 lbs from goal (and healthy BMI range) now. I’ve lost a ton of weight over the last 7.5 years- 210 lbs and counting- and I first noticed this water retention thing happening a few years ago.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Why not do a weigh-in in the morning, after the bathroom? This way you probably hit the point where swelling is lowest, and where you're weight is also less influenced by what you eat and drink in the course of the day?
  • Nicoles0305
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Why not do a weigh-in in the morning, after the bathroom? This way you probably hit the point where swelling is lowest, and where you're weight is also less influenced by what you eat and drink in the course of the day?

I only weigh in in the mornings. It still shows up on the scale.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Well, edema can be a sign of serious health issues. I'd definitely talk at length to your doctor ASAP.

I've never had that problem, not when I was obese and not now - but I have been asked if it is an issue by my doctor. I hope you continue to get daily exercise.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,639 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I would discuss you circulation and leg swelling with your doctor

Anecdotally it doesn't HAVE to be super serious, some changes like stockings or movement breaks may be suggested to you and help, but it is something for you and your doctor to place on your radar, discuss and evaluate! At least that's what I would do if I were you!!!🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Nicoles0305
    Options
    I see my doc next week. I’ll definitely bring it up.

It’s so frustrating sometimes. I can be perfect on food and exercise, but do something I enjoy for a few hours and it looks like a gain the next morning.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I have to be what I consider to be excessively proactive with some of my doctors and love this languaging!

ETA: I hurt my wrist in November and saw my primary soon afterwards. In December I told my her I still had pain. At that time, she referred me to a physiatrist, but I can't get in until 2/22. I just wrote and explained how this was affecting my daily activities and quality of life and asked about what we could do to move the appointment up or do something in the interim.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Questions to think about before your doctor appointment:

Is this a long term issue or something that is new?

Do you have relatives with the same issue?

When you have swelling (since you may not at the time of the appointment), can you press it in and it stays in or does it bounce back?

How much weight fluctuation do you see on a daily basis?

Answers to these questions will help your doctor determine the possible cause and best way to treat.

Note: Many people in my family (not me) have "leaky lymph valves" that lead to leg swelling under many circumstances like you describe. This is just genetic and not a reason for much concern and responds decently to compression socks and other lifestyle changes. But, separately, some people have had edema due to heart failure. It looks kinda similar, but is obviously very serious. These are just 2 examples; there are many more causes for edema, which is why it's great that you are planning to talk to your doctor.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Consider a professional Lymphatic massage :)
  • Nicoles0305
    Options
    Questions to think about before your doctor appointment:

Is this a long term issue or something that is new?

Do you have relatives with the same issue?

When you have swelling (since you may not at the time of the appointment), can you press it in and it stays in or does it bounce back?

How much weight fluctuation do you see on a daily basis?

Answers to these questions will help your doctor determine the possible cause and best way to treat.

Note: Many people in my family (not me) have "leaky lymph valves" that lead to leg swelling under many circumstances like you describe. This is just genetic and not a reason for much concern and responds decently to compression socks and other lifestyle changes. But, separately, some people have had edema due to heart failure. It looks kinda similar, but is obviously very serious. These are just 2 examples; there are many more causes for edema, which is why it's great that you are planning to talk to your doctor.

These are great questions that I will write out answers to and take along. I am now very curious about the leaky lymph nodes you mentioned though.

• Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't sit at your sewing machine for hours on end. It's not just bad for your circulation, it's bad for your back and your eyes. Set up your ironing board as far away as you can. (and if you're not pressing frequently I'd be happy to give you a lecture about why you should). Every time you do get up for something stay up and move intentionally - make a circuit around the house, march in place, if you do yoga do a bunch of sun salutations. If you are short check to see if the backs of your legs are pressing too hard of the edge of your chair cutting off circulation, it may help to raise the foot control up off the floor a few inches. Look for natural breaks in the baking to stop and move more deeply than the shifting from one foot to another you're probably doing - ex. every time you stop to switch icing bags march in place for 30 seconds.