Trying to figure out a workout for my new Home Gyn

Options
zorbaru
zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
I just got a new home gym. Well, my wife got one because we have moved to an area that doesnt have a local gym. Since I work from home I want to use it as well. I went to the gym a long time ago but hated it because I didnt like people around when I worked out and it was expensive.

The thing is I really dont know what to do. I would love it if there was a website where I could enter in my equipment and my goals and it would spit out stuff to do.

Or i would even take ideas from the fine people of MFP.

My gym consists of an adjustable incline bench, 1 to 20kg dumbells, a power rack, lat pulldown and low row cable attachment, an olympic bar with a stack of weight plates.

m8m3clu7ae66.jpg

g7l2f6fw8r81.jpg

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Nice.

Besides the goal of using a great setup - what goal would you have for resistance training?

You could do a strength program like StrongLifts 5x5. Think power lifter type focus.

You could do a hypertrophy program like many are in the below link. Think body building type focus.

You could do a circuit training type program also in that link. Think functional and endurance type focus.

And when you think of each of those focuses - don't over think you could get to the extremes you've seen that may be coming to mind - that's years of dedicated training, and many times some drug assist.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

There is overlap of course between those focuses - in pursuing strength you will have to add muscle. In pursuing hypertrophy for more muscle you'll of course get stronger.

Different programs generally have different amounts of time needed, so as with everything time is a factor.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'd start with pinning down joint stability and quality movement patterns before jumping in on the heavy lifting. Gotta' resist the temptation to "test" yourself and spend some time conditioning your body before you take on a strength or hypertrophy program.

Do you have an appropriate mirror in there? It's good to be able to see what you're doing.
  • Jocko808
    Jocko808 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Look up Jeff Cavaliere on Z YouTube. You can buy one of his workout programs or just watch his free videos on YouTube and learn how you want to put your own program together. He’s very scientific with it and explains not just the what but the why and how.
  • jackson_geall
    jackson_geall Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Either wendler 531 or stronglifts 5x5, are good ones to get cracking, just have to work out what accessories you can do. I train from the garage only and sometimes you just have to get creative with your setup.

I've figured out how to setup a GHR, incline bench with a flat bench, belt squat, and lots of others. Just need to think outside the box.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I am partial to full body programs rather than splits. When I started back to lifting years ago I did Starting Strength which is a good, though imperfect beginner strength program. It is not intended to be run for a significantly long time...if I remember correctly I ran it for about 4 months or so. I was able to build up a good foundation of strength before moving on.

With that program, you start out lighter than what you can actually do...so it feels kind of easy at first, but it's important to starting to condition your body for greater loads and conditioning your smaller muscles and tendons and ligaments. You add weight week to week to your lifts and it gets heavy before you know it, so just enjoy the intro conditioning. It is similar to Strong Lifts 5x5 but uses a 3x5 format which I found to be more doable in a calorie deficit while at the same time making linear progression on my lifts for a few months. The book is very good as well, though it is a bit "sciency" for some.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think the safest thing would be to hire a personal trainer to get you started. They can set you up a plan, and see you through the first few weeks or months. Injuring yourself because you take it too quickly, or a mistake in using the equipment could really set you back.
  • golfchess6
    golfchess6 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congrats on having a home gym. I find it way more convenient then driving to the gym. Have you gone to the website muscleandstrength? There are great beginner programs and videos.