Do you get fed up of constantly feeling not good enough because of weight?

Options
Just dawned on me today that for more than 50 years of my life, I have felt (second class) because I am not the size I ought to be. Never been massively overweight usually one and a half to two stone over. Constantly thinking, why can't I just eat without feeling guilty, or how are all these people slim and I'm not. 50 years, of trying and the only time I properly lost weight was when a family member was very ill and I lost my appetite.
Do we all feel like this or is it just me?

Replies

• NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have been physically active for over half my life, and proud of it, so even though I disliked the weight I would gain, then lose, then gain, then lose, I still was proud of the fact that my body could do the things that it could do. I looked at myself as a successful long distance hiker, not a fat person. Now I see myself as a runner, not just an old woman. I've never been beautiful or fashionable, but I have run 5 marathons, walked from Georgia to Maine and Mexico to Canada and Canada to Mexico. So what if I don't have a perfect body?

Beautifully stated!
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Interesting responses thank you. Yes I am strong and do lots of things, so should be grateful of what I can do. Need to stop comparing and second guessing.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    moss11 wrote: »
    Interesting responses thank you. Yes I am strong and do lots of things, so should be grateful of what I can do. Need to stop comparing and second guessing.

Ah yes, “comparison is the thief of joy”. I, too, get sucked into comparing and degrading myself. I’ve been a little mad that I wasted my younger years hating my body, but never sticking to it long enough to get to where I want to be.

I am working on my mindset, though, and I find that if I’m doing things each day to better myself, whether that be eating well or getting some exercise, I feel proud and hopeful rather than depressed, defeated, and disappointed. I WILL reach my goal this year and I’m making right decisions every single day that my future self will be proud of and thankful for!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Weird trait of mine and I hate it but I've always compared myself to others. Very sad and pathetic the way my brain used to work. I'd walk into a class room and look around to see if I was the largest one there. :( I have(or had) some serious deep-seated issues surrounding my size. Ever since I've gotten to within a "normal" size, I no longer do those particular things. But some days I still feel I don't measure up. There are always going to be things about ourselves we're not happy with; if it's not weight, it'll be hair, nose, hands, eyes, whatever. Well, if you're like me, there will be. :/

The problem with not feeling good about myself is it creates a bubble around me, one that projects lack of self-confidence and self-esteem. Sometimes it even projects an aura of being snobbish because I feel uncomfortable looking at people or talking with them. I tend to avoid reaching or to others or striking up conversations.

I wish I could 'fake it til I make it' but I don't. :/

And for all of the above, I know therapy would help. :|

I almost mentioned this on another thread, but apparently saved it for you :smiley:

One good thing about the pandemic is the expansion of tele-health. I find this incredibly convenient, and I especially like it for therapy.

I hear ads for various remote mental health options on several of my favorite podcasts. Here's one:

https://www.betterhelp.com/faq/

I'm with the VA and have not used that service myself, but it is something I'd consider otherwise. It's a shame their FAQ page does not address insurance. It looks like it does not go directly through insurance, but with some policies you can be reimbursed some amount if you use an out of network provider.

https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/therapy/does-health-insurance-cover-therapy-for-mental-health-or-do-i-have-to-pay/

Here's one that does take insurance: https://www.talkspace.com/insurance
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    Weird trait of mine and I hate it but I've always compared myself to others. Very sad and pathetic the way my brain used to work. I'd walk into a class room and look around to see if I was the largest one there. :( I have(or had) some serious deep-seated issues surrounding my size. Ever since I've gotten to within a "normal" size, I no longer do those particular things. But some days I still feel I don't measure up. There are always going to be things about ourselves we're not happy with; if it's not weight, it'll be hair, nose, hands, eyes, whatever. Well, if you're like me, there will be. :/

I was the same, although at the opposite end of the weight spectrum. Tall, lanky and gawky didn't exactly fit the ideal for female attractiveness either. Although I do think we all have aspects of ourselves that we're not happy with and unfortunately those things tend to be the ones that we focus on so they loom large for us when they might not even be noticeable to others.
    The problem with not feeling good about myself is it creates a bubble around me, one that projects lack of self-confidence and self-esteem. Sometimes it even projects an aura of being snobbish because I feel uncomfortable looking at people or talking with them. I tend to avoid reaching or to others or striking up conversations.

I could have written this. Several very candid friends of mine have told me that their first impression of me was that I was "aloof" and they were surprised to learn that I was really a friendly person.
    I wish I could 'fake it til I make it' but I don't. :/

I've tried. My acting ability isn't that good, I wasn't fooling anyone. And I quickly got fed up with feeling inauthentic.