Paleo/Primal Dieters

Options

Replies

• singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've been 80/20 Primal since early February, eating dairy, using MFP's calorie guidelines (1200 net calories/day to lose 2 lbs. per week), keeping carbs <100 g/day. I've lost 61 lbs. without feeling hungry or deprived, while eating mostly non-processed whole foods. GERD/heartburn is gone--whether due to weight loss or reduced gluten intake, I don't know. Since I'm now within 10 lbs. of my goal weight, I've recently reduced my weekly loss goal to 0.5 lb., and the weight is still coming off.

Mark Sisson of marksdailyapple.com says you can reap the benefits eating 80%Primal/20%conventional.

Supposedly, you can just eat primally and lose weight, but MFP guidelines + Primal worked wonders for me!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

With Paleo / Primal you don't count calories...............you stick to the allowed foods of fats, protein, vegetables, throw in some fruit and nuts on occasion and dairy if you are tolerant.............

What?

Why wouldn't you count calories on paleo or primal when you otherwise would?

Calorie counting turns me into a bit of a Crazy Lady and I end up getting too obsessed with how I eat (not the case for everyone, but that's how I am). I've found that I'm so satisfied while eating paleo that I don't really need to count calories. I still typically count once a week or so, just to gauge how everything stacks up. When I have counted, I am right in the 1600-1800 range (at or slightly below maintenance for me) -- some days it has been hard for me to even hit 1200, though.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

With Paleo / Primal you don't count calories...............you stick to the allowed foods of fats, protein, vegetables, throw in some fruit and nuts on occasion and dairy if you are tolerant.............

What?

just like with Atkins, there is no need.

So you're telling me that it's impossible to get fat eating primal or paleo and that there is no need to count calories because you're not eating grains and dairy?

In other words, the only way to get fat is by eating grains and dairy?

I'm a little on edge here with your post because it was short and didn't actually explain your position.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

Calorie counting turns me into a bit of a Crazy Lady and I end up getting too obsessed with how I eat (not the case for everyone, but that's how I am). I've found that I'm so satisfied while eating paleo that I don't really need to count calories. I still typically count once a week or so, just to gauge how everything stacks up. When I have counted, I am right in the 1600-1800 range (at or slightly below maintenance for me) -- some days it has been hard for me to even hit 1200, though.

If your eyeball estimates are close to when you actually count then it's not an issue. However, the idea that someone doesn't have to worry about the laws of the universe affecting the body because of X food being eaten completely violates all laws of common sense.
  • FitJ1210
    Options
    Bump
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to follow this for the past week, with the exception of adding cheese and plain non fat greek yogurt. I find that if I didnt add the cheese and yogurt I would have a very boring diet. I dont eat red meat or pork, so there is only so much chicken and eggs a person can eat. I am sooo tired of eggs for breakfast. Maybe I am doing something wrong, because with 1 fruit a day and the added veggies I struggle to keep my carbs below 100. I usually am right around 95-100. But I need the fruit to increase my fiber consumption.
    What do you all average for carb intake? Will it work if I eat cheese since the cheese is really low carb??
    I appreciate any advice!!
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to eat this way. In the past I was successful w/ Atkins, but as soon as I returned to the SAD the weight (and heath problems) returned. I just feel better when I am eating a high protein and fat, low carb meal plan. I usually track my food so I am aware of how many calories I am eating, but I have noticed that if I keep my calories as low as this site is suggesing I feel deprived and have carb cravings.

I have a question about the daily nutrition values on MFP. For those of you that eat paleo/primal what % do you keep your fat, carbs, and protein?
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Dawn, I'd rather add full fat yogurt or at least as close as possible. It seems as though every low fat product I pick up has more junk added, often in the form of some sort of carb/grain. Try aged cheeses and considering trying to add some meat. That part is hard for me as I got so out of the meat habit following "conventional wisdom".

I don't really "count" calories on primal. I consider it that I'm "tracking" foods to see where I'm at with my preferred ratio of protein/fat/carbs. I find it's hard to go over, sometimes hard to get up to, the goal calories MFP sets for my weightloss goals. Hard because I'm just not hungry enough to overeat calories if I'm eating the other healthy primal stuff. When I have my sugar weakness days is when it comes close or can go slightly over. Otherwise it's not really that hard. The sugar weakness hits less and less as I continue on. I didn't stress over it in the beginning, just accepted it as part of what I needed to factor in and chose things that were less bad. (not pretending they were good, ha) For you fruit might be your sweet treat and if you enjoy it, well, that's in your 20%. Are you eating potatoes or corn as part of your "veggies"? Either of those could add carbs in a way you might try doing without for awhile.

Losing the grains helps us reset our metabolisms so most don't need to count calories because we naturally start consuming a more normal amount and what we do consume is metabolized better rather than stored as fat.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Dawn, I'd rather add full fat yogurt or at least as close as possible. It seems as though every low fat product I pick up has more junk added, often in the form of some sort of carb/grain. Try aged cheeses and considering trying to add some meat. That part is hard for me as I got so out of the meat habit following "conventional wisdom".

I don't really "count" calories on primal. I consider it that I'm "tracking" foods to see where I'm at with my preferred ratio of protein/fat/carbs. I find it's hard to go over, sometimes hard to get up to, the goal calories MFP sets for my weightloss goals. Hard because I'm just not hungry enough to overeat calories if I'm eating the other healthy primal stuff. When I have my sugar weakness days is when it comes close or can go slightly over. Otherwise it's not really that hard. The sugar weakness hits less and less as I continue on. I didn't stress over it in the beginning, just accepted it as part of what I needed to factor in and chose things that were less bad. (not pretending they were good, ha) For you fruit might be your sweet treat and if you enjoy it, well, that's in your 20%. Are you eating potatoes or corn as part of your "veggies"? Either of those could add carbs in a way you might try doing without for awhile.

Losing the grains helps us reset our metabolisms so most don't need to count calories because we naturally start consuming a more normal amount and what we do consume is metabolized better rather than stored as fat.

Thanks!!!
    i dont eat potatoes or corn. Usually for veggies I eat broccoli, cauliflower, salad with tomatoes, romaine and spinach leaves, eggplant, tomatoes, and green beans. occasionally I will have sweet potatoe or winter squash, but thats maybe once per week. I have one fruit serving per day. I seem to eat alot of cheese (2-3 ounces since starting this) and nuts! (almonds, walnuts, cashews). I also like the nut butters, peanut butter and almond butter and have at least 1-2 servings of nuts per day...
    Unfortunately I dont like seafood other than tuna, or red meat...
    I am going to try more coconut and limiting the cheese!
    thanks again for the reply!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

What?

just like with Atkins, there is no need.

So you're telling me that it's impossible to get fat eating primal or paleo and that there is no need to count calories because you're not eating grains and dairy?

In other words, the only way to get fat is by eating grains and dairy?

I'm a little on edge here with your post because it was short and didn't actually explain your position.

When you control your carbs to a lower number, then calories don’t matter so much because your body is then a “fat burning” system…as you increase your carbs (such as the 120 carbs in question) it stands to reason that calories would then come into play because you’re transitioning your fuel system from a fat burner back over to a calorie burning system.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

Oh boy, another baseless claim.

You're right. I can eat steak, potatoes, avocado and almonds by the boatload and I won't gain any weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

When you control your carbs to a lower number, then calories don’t matter so much because your body is then a “fat burning” system…as you increase your carbs (such as the 120 carbs in question) it stands to reason that calories would then come into play because you’re transitioning your fuel system from a fat burner back over to a calorie burning system.

your body becomes a "fat burning" system in a ketogenic diet because you are eating more fat, when you eat more carbs you burn more carbs. a ketogenic diet has no metabolic advantage nor is it superior for fat loss to other diets, all diets work due to caloric restriction. even on keto diets if you are i na caloric surplus eating only fat and pro you'd gain weight
  • RangerSteve
    Options

Can I ask you something? Do you even know what a calorie is? (serious question)

What you said makes no sense at all. I don't even know what to say. You literally just made a bunch of stuff up and there is no possible way to argue against it.........
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to eat this way. In the past I was successful w/ Atkins, but as soon as I returned to the SAD the weight (and heath problems) returned. I just feel better when I am eating a high protein and fat, low carb meal plan. I usually track my food so I am aware of how many calories I am eating, but I have noticed that if I keep my calories as low as this site is suggesing I feel deprived and have carb cravings.

I have a question about the daily nutrition values on MFP. For those of you that eat paleo/primal what % do you keep your fat, carbs, and protein?

I haven't kept track of the ratios. My goal has always been to keep sugar, carbs low and processed food non-existent (when possible). That has worked for me up this point.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    As always, please keep the debate respectful. It's fine to disagree, but stay on topic and do not insult/attack others.

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

If your eyeball estimates are close to when you actually count then it's not an issue.

My problem is that when I am eating more starches and less fat, I am hungry all the time at my maintenance level of calories. I feel the need to eat all the time and, unless I am VERY good about monitoring my intake (hence the Crazy Lady), I gain.
    However, the idea that someone doesn't have to worry about the laws of the universe affecting the body because of X food being eaten completely violates all laws of common sense.

I never said that. However, anecdotally, I have heard of guys trying to gain on a paleo diet who were taking shots of olive oil to be at a calorie surplus and were having trouble gaining without upping the carbs. I don't know why or how much of a surplus they were eating, but it sounded as though this was not typical for them -- they were not your typical hard-gainer. I don't think they were defying the laws of thermodynamics or anything, I'm just saying maybe they thought that they were "eating like crazy" and still had a hard time eating at a surplus. That's not great if you are a guy who WANTS to gain, but it supports other peoples' claim that it is an easy diet to "stick with" insofar as being able to eat to satiety and not gain fat.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

If your eyeball estimates are close to when you actually count then it's not an issue.

My problem is that when I am eating more starches and less fat, I am hungry all the time at my maintenance level of calories. I feel the need to eat all the time and, unless I am VERY good about monitoring my intake (hence the Crazy Lady), I gain.
    However, the idea that someone doesn't have to worry about the laws of the universe affecting the body because of X food being eaten completely violates all laws of common sense.

I never said that. However, anecdotally, I have heard of guys trying to gain on a paleo diet who were taking shots of olive oil to be at a calorie surplus and were having trouble gaining without upping the carbs. I don't know why or how much of a surplus they were eating, but it sounded as though this was not typical for them -- they were not your typical hard-gainer. I don't think they were defying the laws of thermodynamics or anything, I'm just saying maybe they thought that they were "eating like crazy" and still had a hard time eating at a surplus. That's not great if you are a guy who WANTS to gain, but it supports other peoples' claim that it is an easy diet to "stick with" insofar as being able to eat to satiety and not gain fat.

I actually agree with you. I did paleo for two years myself to see if I liked it. It's a lot easier to feel full when you're eating veggies and meat for most of your diet. As far as having trouble gaining weight, that's also a possibility. I lost a lot of weight when I was on it. I think this is more from correlation as opposed to causation though. I would assume (anecdotal guess) that most people who gravitate towards a paleo diet are the same people who are fit to begin with or are in the early stages of getting fit. Either way, energy burning is happening and that means weight loss. Plus, when you eat the same type of foods every day, the appeal to eat more isn't always there. I bet a lot of it is psychological. Either way, I support the diet, I just don't support the people who make false claims and then tell other people they're wrong for what they're doing.

We're practically neighbors by the way.

edit: And I definitely agree about having more trouble controlling intake when chowing down carb rich foods. 200 calories in a pop tart? Seriously? I can eat 6 of them in a sitting.
  • anewrac
    anewrac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been 80/20 Primal since early February, eating dairy, using MFP's calorie guidelines (1200 net calories/day to lose 2 lbs. per week), keeping carbs <100 g/day. I've lost 61 lbs. without feeling hungry or deprived, while eating mostly non-processed whole foods. GERD/heartburn is gone--whether due to weight loss or reduced gluten intake, I don't know. Since I'm now within 10 lbs. of my goal weight, I've recently reduced my weekly loss goal to 0.5 lb., and the weight is still coming off.

Mark Sisson of marksdailyapple.com says you can reap the benefits eating 80%Primal/20%conventional.

Supposedly, you can just eat primally and lose weight, but MFP guidelines + Primal worked wonders for me!

That's awesome!!! Well done you x
  • sandislim
    Options
    I eat mostly paleo - I tried atkins but I never lost weight - too much fat/protein/dairy and reliance on sweeteners. Paleo is a lot more realistic for me. I avoid dairy as much as possible but I'm allergic to coconut so occasionally I will have dairy where there is no alternative but it doesn't make me feel good (cream gives me asthma now). I avoid grains - I used to cheat but have taken the cheats out and I feel much better, I guess I just have to get used to not eating these foods any more. I haven't tried unconventional grains though like bulgur and quinoa - maybe when I've got my weight down futher I might experiment.
    I eat fruit and this means I can avoid artificial sweeteners! I just use berries instead and I don't get blood sugar problems with berries either.
    I eat mostly vegetables from my garden which beats organic any day of the week - but I don't buy organic unless I can afford it or its on offer.
    I also count calories. The lifestyle is hard to stick too, but I've incorporated some solutions to certain problems (takeaways/ready meals/cheat days) and found some strategies that seem to be working for the moment. This isn't an easy lifestyle though, but I think its pretty obvious that it is healthier lifestyle for many people - when supermarkets start catering to that lifestyle (frozen cauliflower rice etc) it will become much easier. But until then it is hard work.

When I eat carbs (sugar/grains) I cannot feel satiety, even when my stomach is distended from food intake - this includes whole grains - I don't know why but thats just how it is for me, I can control my calorie intake much better when I avoid these types of foods.