chocolate milk

Options
13»

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

yeah, it's from yellow to blue on this measuring device. I don't know what pH # a person has symptoms. As you know it would change throughout the day. The issue is choronic acidicity. Too much of anything, good or bad, isn't healthy for anyone.

Ok, so at what urine pH can chronic toxicity be expected? No idea? Well just keep peeing on litmus paper to be safe...lol
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    yeah, it's from yellow to blue on this measuring device. I don't know what pH # a person has symptoms. As you know it would change throughout the day. The issue is choronic acidicity. Too much of anything, good or bad, isn't healthy for anyone.

What would you say your pH levels for saliva and urine are? According to your litmus paper?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    In the midst of all this metabolic acidosis talk, we have lost the valuable info on chocolate milk and it's recent fame as a recovery drink. Please remember that the only study being referenced used only 9 subjects, and has not been published in any peer-reviewed medical or scientific journals. It has serious flaws.

Low fat chocolate milk is a decent post-workout snack, but don't believe everything the dairy industry tells you. They have been implicated in massive misleading advertising campaigns like this before.
  • alkion
    Options

What would you say your pH levels for saliva and urine are? According to your litmus paper?

As you know from a scientific perspective I can't give you your data, that's for you to interpret. Personally, i'd say about... 9.1 +/- 0.2 So you can interpret the data, here is the chartfood_ph_scale2.jpg
    Yes I know the test shows i am highly alkalaine which isn't good either, i currently need to eat more acidic foods. Also everyone else take note where is "sugar" on this scale.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

As you know from a scientific perspective I can't give you your data, that's for you to interpret. Personally, i'd say about... 9.1 +/- 0.2 So you can interpret the data, here is the chartfood_ph_scale2.jpg
    Yes I know the test shows i am highly alkalaine which isn't good either, i currently need to eat more acidic foods. Also everyone else take note where is "sugar" on this scale.

Your litmus paper doesn't have a scale? You do know that not all litmus papers are equally ranged right? Some range from 5.0-8.0 only. So if your paper doesn't even have a color scale for all we know it could be a range of 6.5-8.5 in which case both ends of the spectrum would be normal. Normal urine can range from 6.0-8.5. And your sugar pH is bogus. Sugar has no free H+ or OH- ions so it has no pH. Get yourself a chembook and educate yourself. Oh by the way, I also found an article that says milk causes your blood serum levels to be alkaline, due to the high calcium content.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    You got that chart from the vendor that sold you the alkalized water machine didn't you? Explain to me how can distilled water be at a pH of 4?
  • alkion
    Options
    You got that chart from the vendor that sold you the alkalized water machine didn't you? Explain to me how can distilled water be at a pH of 4?

Because multiple distillations are used to get a pure form of water. I have personally bought distilled water, and it was acidic.
  • alkion
    Options

Your litmus paper doesn't have a scale? You do know that not all litmus papers are equally ranged right? Some range from 5.0-8.0 only. So if your paper doesn't even have a color scale for all we know it could be a range of 6.5-8.5 in which case both ends of the spectrum would be normal. Normal urine can range from 6.0-8.5. And your sugar pH is bogus. Sugar has no free H+ or OH- ions so it has no pH. Get yourself a chembook and educate yourself. Oh by the way, I also found an article that says milk causes your blood serum levels to be alkaline, due to the high calcium content.

how are you going to sit here talk about "getting educated" YELLOW, HIGHLY ACIDIC, BLUE, HIGHLY ALKALINE. What don't you understand??? It's not complicated. Go pee on a stick, and tell me what is your pH level. You can nit pick all day.The proof is in the test it yourself. I tested it, I KNOW, and I have SEEN THE RESULTS. you're talking with NO EXPERIENCE, which isn't very smart. Wasn't it you who said that our stomach is higly acidic around 1 or 2? Go drink some battery acid and see what happens. Sugar... go eat half a pound of sugar and see what happens.

It's common sense. compare the battery acid to 1 gallon of ionized water. Use common sense and tell me which would cause more damage???

Or eat 1lbs of protein, compared to the 1lbs of sugar. You do realize that if someone eats 1lbs of sugar they will pretty much go in to shock??? Just use common sense. Lets say I am completely wrong, dead wrong abI out this pH acid stuff, okay so be it. I KNOW for a fact that if i eat 1lbs of sugar i'll feel like crap. Or if I drink battery acid i'd die. It's common sense. NOT HEALTHY. oh btw my scale was from 5.0 - 10.0
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

how are you going to sit here talk about "getting educated" YELLOW, HIGHLY ACIDIC, BLUE, HIGHLY ALKALINE. What don't you understand??? It's not complicated. Go pee on a stick, and tell me what is your pH level. You can nit pick all day.The proof is in the test it yourself. I tested it, I KNOW, and I have SEEN THE RESULTS. you're talking with NO EXPERIENCE, which isn't very smart. Wasn't it you who said that our stomach is higly acidic around 1 or 2? Go drink some battery acid and see what happens. Sugar... go eat half a pound of sugar and see what happens.

It's common sense. compare the battery acid to 1 gallon of ionized water. Use common sense and tell me which would cause more damage???

Or eat 1lbs of protein, compared to the 1lbs of sugar. You do realize that if someone eats 1lbs of sugar they will pretty much go in to shock??? Just use common sense. Lets say I am completely wrong, dead wrong abI out this pH acid stuff, okay so be it. I KNOW for a fact that if i eat 1lbs of sugar i'll feel like crap. Or if I drink battery acid i'd die. It's common sense. NOT HEALTHY. oh btw my scale was from 5.0 - 10.0

Bro, I have a Master's Degree in Food and Nutritional Sciences. I was awarded the Deal's Medal at Graduation, not just because of my grades, but because of my extensive scientific research, one of my experiements would have published by a peer reviewed journal had it not been for patent issues. I work full time conducting research and development for food processing companies. If you want to compare experience we can go there. I'll take saliva and urine pH readings, but with my digital calibrated pH meter. What will you say then when my saliva and urine is in the normal range and you know that I drink 2 glasses of chocolate milk a day and 4-6 servings of fruits a day. Also, I never said anything about drinking battery acid, but for you're information the reason why battery acid is so dangerous is because it's made of sulfuric acid which denatures proteins. You're trying to compare drinking battery acid which has a pH of less than 1 to drinking alkalized water which at most has a pH of 11. Do you even realize the difference in ion strength between a pH of 1 and 11? Try comparing drinking an acid solution of 1 to an alkaline solution with a pH of 13, such as liquid drano. Now do you really think there would be a difference in the outcome? Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Trying to compare battery acid to alkalized water, (like from the machine you got conned into buying) is like comparing drinking drano to drinking orange juice.
  • alkion
    Options
    Bro, I have a Master's Degree in Food and Nutritional Sciences. I was awarded the Deal's Medal at Graduation, not just because of my grades, but because of my extensive scientific research, one of my experiements would have published by a peer reviewed journal had it not been for patent issues. I work full time conducting research and development for food processing companies. If you want to compare experience we can go there. I'll take saliva and urine pH readings, but with my digital calibrated pH meter. What will you say then when my saliva and urine is in the normal range and you know that I drink 2 glasses of chocolate milk a day and 4-6 servings of fruits a day. Also, I never said anything about drinking battery acid, but for you're information the reason why battery acid is so dangerous is because it's made of sulfuric acid which denatures proteins. You're trying to compare drinking battery acid which has a pH of less than 1 to drinking alkalized water which at most has a pH of 11. Do you even realize the difference in ion strength between a pH of 1 and 11? Try comparing drinking an acid solution of 1 to an alkaline solution with a pH of 13, such as liquid drano. Now do you really think there would be a difference in the outcome? Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Trying to compare battery acid to alkalized water, (like from the machine you got conned into buying) is like comparing drinking drano to drinking orange juice.

Okay i give you props on your education and your accomplishments. This diet was created by Robert O Young PhD with 30yrs experience in microbiology. It was created by watching blood analysis and seeing how diet effects people's blood. I am majoring in chemistry, it's my first semester so I am not that educated in the subject, most of my schooling up to this point was to get my masters in computer science. So now i am working on chem.

Putting all the alkaline and acid stuff acid. Wouldn't you say, eating lets say 5 servings of vegetables would be healthier than 5 servings of chocolate milk?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Okay i give you props on your education and your accomplishments. This diet was created by Robert O Young PhD with 30yrs experience in microbiology. It was created by watching blood analysis and seeing how diet effects people's blood. I am majoring in chemistry, it's my first semester so I am not that educated in the subject, most of my schooling up to this point was to get my masters in computer science. So now i am working on chem.

Putting all the alkaline and acid stuff acid. Wouldn't you say, eating lets say 5 servings of vegetables would be healthier than 5 servings of chocolate milk?

I didn't know you are a chem major. It's a tough major, I had some real competitive classmates when I majored in that for over 2 years. I wanted to become a Pharmacist, got my Pharmacy tech certificate while going to school, did the pharm tech gig. for a few months then realized it wasn't for me, very monotonous work. But some people love it. I changed my major to Food and Nutritional Sciences now I work with anything from Dairy Industry to Fruit and Vegetable processing to Wine Industry. From what I personally know about our fruits and veges, they are not as nutrient rich as they were several decades ago. The soils are depleted from the vitamins and minerals we need, and even with fertilizers we aren't getting the most out of our F&V's. If you aren't eating the right combination of F&V's you won't get all the essential amino acids, and no plant source that I'm aware of contains B12 unless if you count some seaweeds, so you would need to supplement that. Also, we need the fat from milk, not only for energy but for cholesterol. Yes I said it, we need cholesterol, it is needed for hormones, something all of our body's need. But choco milk does lack many of the vitamins and minerals that F&V's contain. It's a tough choice but I'd go with the choco milk just because the calorie content in 5 servings would provide more calories (energy) than 5 servings of veges. I would probably become very ill and die eventually with either choice but I believe I would be able to hold out longer with the choco milk.
  • alkion
    Options

I didn't know you are a chem major. It's a tough major, I had some real competitive classmates when I majored in that for over 2 years. I wanted to become a Pharmacist, got my Pharmacy tech certificate while going to school, did the pharm tech gig. for a few months then realized it wasn't for me, very monotonous work. But some people love it. I changed my major to Food and Nutritional Sciences now I work with anything from Dairy Industry to Fruit and Vegetable processing to Wine Industry. From what I personally know about our fruits and veges, they are not as nutrient rich as they were several decades ago. The soils are depleted from the vitamins and minerals we need, and even with fertilizers we aren't getting the most out of our F&V's. If you aren't eating the right combination of F&V's you won't get all the essential amino acids, and no plant source that I'm aware of contains B12 unless if you count some seaweeds, so you would need to supplement that. Also, we need the fat from milk, not only for energy but for cholesterol. Yes I said it, we need cholesterol, it is needed for hormones, something all of our body's need. But choco milk does lack many of the vitamins and minerals that F&V's contain. It's a tough choice but I'd go with the choco milk just because the calorie content in 5 servings would provide more calories (energy) than 5 servings of veges. I would probably become very ill and die eventually with either choice but I believe I would be able to hold out longer with the choco milk.

I am aware of the benefits of cholestrol. I remember hearing doctors sayitng that people with high levels of cholestrol live longer. Yes cholestrol can clump together and cause clogged arteries, but they only clump when there is scaring in the tissue, which has been linked to over consumption of simple sugars.

I didn't meant 5 servings "only" i meant, 5 servings of one or the other AND your normal diet.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I am aware of the benefits of cholestrol. I remember hearing doctors sayitng that people with high levels of cholestrol live longer. Yes cholestrol can clump together and cause clogged arteries, but they only clump when there is scaring in the tissue, which has been linked to over consumption of simple sugars.

I didn't meant 5 servings "only" i meant, 5 servings of one or the other AND your normal diet.

Well in that case I would obviously pick the F&V's because of the minerals and vitamin profile, over choco milk since I can get fat and protein from meat and tree nuts. That's doesn't mean that choco milk is bad for you though as you originally suggested. I came across some info on milk and other dairy products. Apparently they raisies serum and urine pH , due to the calcium ions. There is something called Milk Alkali syndrome which can be dangerous. Foods with positively charged minerals such as Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, etc. actually raise urine pH.
  • alkion
    Options

Well in that case I would obviously pick the F&V's because of the minerals and vitamin profile, over choco milk since I can get fat and protein from meat and tree nuts. That's doesn't mean that choco milk is bad for you though as you originally suggested. I came across some info on milk and other dairy products. Apparently they raisies serum and urine pH , due to the calcium ions. There is something called Milk Alkali syndrome which can be dangerous. Foods with positively charged minerals such as Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, etc. actually raise urine pH.

As you know calcium is leached from the bones and potassium from the muscles to keep a good balance of blood pH. Here's my question to you, do you think disease and health issues is just genetic and isn't influenced by our diet?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

As you know calcium is leached from the bones and potassium from the muscles to keep a good balance of blood pH. Here's my question to you, do you think disease and health issues is just genetic and isn't influenced by our diet?

Pulling from the bones is the bodies latch ditch effort to buffer the tissue and blood if I recall. I believe disease is a combination of many factors, genetics, diet, lifestyle (i.e. stress load, exercise activity, recreational drug use, medicinal drug use, exposure to toxins, etc)
    Here's an example
    My orthodontist was a fitness fanatic. He ate healthy foods, no fast food, he didn't drink alcohol, didn't smoke, didn't do recreational drugs. He ran 5 miles every weekday morning and had a body I admired. He was 42 years old when he died of a heart attack.
    I had a family friend, he smoked tobacco from a pipe, drank a six pack of beer almost everyday of his life, didn't exercise, ate steaks and bacon and eggs and all those foods that Dr.'s say will lead to a shortened life. His Dr. said he wouldn't live past 75. He past away a few years ago at the age of 92, drinking and smoking to the very end. "Can't explain that?"
    What were the differences? Dr. had a crazy stressfull job, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. My family friend was a farmer and owned greenhouses. He worked hard but not 12 hour days. He took yearly vacations and knew how to relax.
    Here's a question for you, Is a stressful job more detrimental than eating unhealthy?
  • alkion
    Options

Pulling from the bones is the bodies latch ditch effort to buffer the tissue and blood if I recall. I believe disease is a combination of many factors, genetics, diet, lifestyle (i.e. stress load, exercise activity, recreational drug use, medicinal drug use, exposure to toxins, etc)
    Here's an example
    My orthodontist was a fitness fanatic. He ate healthy foods, no fast food, he didn't drink alcohol, didn't smoke, didn't do recreational drugs. He ran 5 miles every weekday morning and had a body I admired. He was 42 years old when he died of a heart attack.
    I had a family friend, he smoked tobacco from a pipe, drank a six pack of beer almost everyday of his life, didn't exercise, ate steaks and bacon and eggs and all those foods that Dr.'s say will lead to a shortened life. His Dr. said he wouldn't live past 75. He past away a few years ago at the age of 92, drinking and smoking to the very end. "Can't explain that?"
    What were the differences? Dr. had a crazy stressfull job, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. My family friend was a farmer and owned greenhouses. He worked hard but not 12 hour days. He took yearly vacations and knew how to relax.
    Here's a question for you, Is a stressful job more detrimental than eating unhealthy?

You know what's interesting about the doctor. As I said earlier how carbs have been linked to heart disease. I do understand what you're saying about stress, Dr James E. Loehr PhD makes a good point about it in his book. He has a few so i won't list them. He constnatly talks about causing waves of stress with waves of recovery to get tougher physically, mentally, of course too much stress leads to a weakining response in the body, so does too little stress.

The thing about what you said, "eating unhealthy?" What is "unhealthy eating" many people have different views on what is healthy eating. I think healthy eating is most important, it will help your body function properly which will reduce stress and also help speed up recovery.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I drink chocolate milk because of deliciousness.
  • alkion
    Options
    I drink chocolate milk because of deliciousness.
    haha, i'll give you that, yes it is good.
  • Jcat52643
    Jcat52643 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wish i could "like" things similar to Facebook. This has been a very entertaining debate.
  • Jcat52643
    Jcat52643 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    And now for some intelligent debate...

The research I've seen is from Joel Stager, and not surprisingly, is funded by the "Dairy and Nutrition Council." For those of you that don't know, that is an industry group...a dairy industry group.

I'm looking (briefly, I'll admit), and I cannot find a single instance of Stager's "research" being published in any peer-reviewed scientific or medical journals. When I read the details of the study, I noted that it only compared chocolate milk to other sports beverages, and not regular milk or even a placebo. I also noted that there were only 9 subjects in the study.

I find these details to be particularly troubling. However, low-fat chocolate milk has been a convenient and successful recovery drink for me. I can easily purchase 8oz individual cartons from Horizon organic. It's easy to toss in my gym bag, etc...

Now, I'd like to call to mind ANOTHER study that the dairy industry funded in the past. In "Obesity Research" Dr. Amy Joy Lanou, PhD published research claiming that consuming 24 oz of dairy daily aided weight loss. The dairy industry launched a multi-million dollar advertising campaign based on this.

Later, it was pointed out that the research was severely flawed, and that the dairy industry used misleading advertising. They were sued by MANY groups, including the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. http://pcrm.info/search/?cid=1190

So next time you read about a hot new study, take some time and actually READ THE STUDY.

Amen.