Water question

Options

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    yes...at least half your body weight. add another 8 ounces for every 8 ounces of caffeinated beverage you drink and add another 8 ounces for every 30 minutes of exercise.

So if I weigh 155, I drink 77.50 ounces a day.....then if I work out an hour I drink 16 ounces.......and if I have 3 cups of coffee I have 24 ounces. So with that being said, I am supposed to have 117.50 ounces for that particular day or 14.5- 8 ounce glasses?? :huh:
    [/quote]

yep, according to the study I read about (there are other things I've read that suggest a gallon or more a day). I'm just trying to pass along things that I've read about and that work for me. I'm not a doctor or scientist and, outside of myself, I haven't tried these things on other people. Everyone is free to ignore whatever witchcraft I propose.

but, here's the thing....are you happy with the progress of your weight loss and healthy goals? if you are, then keep doing what you're doing. keep drinking the liquids you're drinking (whatever they are) and keep drinking a similar amount of water. If, however, you are unhappy with your progress, maybe trying some more water will help. Something that isn't witch doctery with respect to water is WHY it is needed for fat loss. some folks on this thread have talked about hydration and that's super important. but, the way water helps with fat loss is that when you drink enough water, your liver doesn't need to help your kidneys do their job. then the liver can focus on its primary job...and that is, digesting food and burning fat. finding how much water you need to achieve this wonderful benefit, and whether any type of liquid works....believe whatever formula you want, but trial and error on what works best for you is the most ideal answer.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I count any liquid that will hydrate me (so, not coffee or alcohol) as water. If it has calories in it (eg milk) then I will log it into my calories in addition to being whatever-cup-equivalent of water.

Some people on here are so strict with the "IT MUST BE WATER ZOMG," but it really doesn't have to be. You just don't want to get dehydrated or retain water, so keep drinking.
  • malilamala
    Options
    You should know that coffee and other items with caffeine actually dehydrate you (it's a diurhetic), althought it can help temporarily speed up your metabolism. For every cup of coffee or soda you drink, you should drink an extra glass of water!

For inspiration, I remember what my middle school biology teacher taught me:
    Water cleanses, makes your skin elasticity better, and helps prevent illness.

I take a 32oz water bottle with me to work. Drink it twice and you're at 8 glasses. Easy. ;)
  • Candeedle7
    Options
    Water, old fashioned H2O is the best choice for hydration and to wash waste & toxins out of the body. While some people prefer the taste of water over other drinks, most people find it relatively bland and will stop drinking water before becoming fully hydrated. Water is the best, but it only helps you if you drink it. Sports drinks don't hydrate better than water, but you are more likely to drink larger volumes, which leads to better hydration. They can replace electrolytes and offer lower calorie choices than juice or soft drinks. Juices are nutritious, but it isn't the best choice for hydration. The fructose, or fruit sugar, reduces the rate of water absorption so cells don't get hydrated very quickly. Sometimes when I need flavor in my liquid, I will add 1 or 2 oz of juice to my water, but on it's own it isn't a great thirst quencher. Carbonated Soft Drinks, zero calorie or full, aren't good for the body. The acids used to carbonate and flavor these beverages will damage your teeth and may even weaken your bones. Soft drinks are devoid of any real nutritional content. The carbohydrates will slow your absorption of water. And coffee and tea can also sabotage hydration. Both drinks act as diuretics, meaning they cause your kidneys to pull more water out of your bloodstream even as the digestive system is pulling water into your body. If you are able to drink more than 60 oz. of liquids thank you have the choice to mix it up and you digestive system can process the milk, soda, juices and have water as well. But I struggle getting just that 60 oz, so it is best for me to stick to H2O. If you really are wondering if you are hydrated enough pay attention to your urine. The bottom line: Drink water for maximum hydration.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You should know that coffee and other items with caffeine actually dehydrate you (it's a diurhetic)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

Only if you drink tons of it...its an old myth from years go.
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I only drink decaf tea and coffee but I only count the pure water that I drink.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The experts do say that because it's true. Do you really think that putting tea leaves in water someone makes that glass contain less water??? Even if you put sugar in it. If you ate a spoonful of sugar and then drank the water, you'd count it as water, right? So dumping the sugar in the water does not make is any less water. It just means you should log the calories from the sugar too.

Hydration is about how much water you consume, in any form, versus how much water you lose (through breath, sweat and urine). What you consume along with the water should be evaluated for calories, sodium, etc., but it does not take water out of the glass. It's just common sense really.

Exactly.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wow, okay, touchy topic! :smile: Thanks for all the input. I see a little discussion of the thing I was wondering about--if there was something in coffee, tea, Crystal Light, etc. that would block the body's efficient absorption of the water. I think I'd read that sugar does something to the kidney's efficiency, maybe? That's why I had ruled out sugared tea, soda, etc. (which I don't drink anyway) as counting toward the daily total. I do know green tea has a diuretic effect on me, so I guess that rules it out, as well. :ohwell: I guess I'll just drop a bit of lemon juice into the water and try to get down 8 glasses...
  • mccgivens
    Options
    I only count my water (H2O) but I'm only drinking about 104oz a day (I'm 214 lbs). I may need to reevaluate my water consumption. I'll do a little more research into it though.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Wow, okay, touchy topic! :smile: Thanks for all the input. I see a little discussion of the thing I was wondering about--if there was something in coffee, tea, Crystal Light, etc. that would block the body's efficient absorption of the water. I think I'd read that sugar does something to the kidney's efficiency, maybe? That's why I had ruled out sugared tea, soda, etc. (which I don't drink anyway) as counting toward the daily total. I do know green tea has a diuretic effect on me, so I guess that rules it out, as well. :ohwell: I guess I'll just drop a bit of lemon juice into the water and try to get down 8 glasses...

This this is what I was hoping to avoid. This pure intake B/S that some spout leading to someone giving up drinks they enjoy. If you really want to avoid those ingredients then fine give up those drinks, but don't give them up because you think you have to in order to lose weight or get enough water. At the end of the day, the whole water thing is only about HYDRATION. If your urine is clear or lightly colored, you're in great shape and will gain the benefits in terms of an efficient metabolism. Be careful of all the hype and the "oh I read this study once". The fact is reading one study and taking it as gospel truth is what leads a lot of people down the wrong path.

As an athlete I've done a lot of studying on the need to hydrate and how to hydrate appropriately. I've read probably hundreds of studies and articles on how the body hydrates, processes wastes, etc. I would recommend others do the same. Read a lot of reputable sources and the truths become pretty clear and the myths become obvious.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The only reason to give up diet sodas is the sodium content and then only if you are sodium sensitive (and I believe only a small percentage of the population is sensitive, I happen to be...yay, lucky me!). There is no reason to make the liquid consumption harder than it might be for some...a liquid is a liquid is a liquid...period!
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I only count my water (H2O) but I'm only drinking about 104oz a day (I'm 214 lbs). I may need to reevaluate my water consumption. I'll do a little more research into it though.

No you don't, seriously, unless your sodium consumption is over 3,000mg/day but if it is then you should just work on that aspect.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You guys are killing me with this stuff. :explode:

Will actual scientific research convince you to overthrow this urban myth?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.html?_r=1
    Medical experts have been saying for years that caffeine acts as a potent diuretic. Consume too many caffeinated beverages, and you end up drinking yourself into dehydration.

But research has not confirmed that notion. Most studies have found that in moderate amounts, caffeine has only mild diuretic effects — much like water.

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.full
    Conclusions: This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks, intechpc and BrewerGeorge :smile: I do know that green tea has a diuretic effect on me--if I drink it on a trip, I'll be stopping once an hour. Any othe beverage, I'm good for more than twice that long unless I drink a ton. My ankles and lower legs will be swollen pretty badly the day after if I drink any kind of carbonated drink, so I've basically cut those out because I hate the uncomfortable feeling. But it is good to know that basically, if I'm drinking, I'm good. I do know that I need to get in more fluids, period, and I do figure that some of it being straight water is a good idea, just because I don't want to overdo artificial stuff, or at least I want to save it for where I really like it, like in my coffee and my green tea. :smile: I love the exchange of info here, and I'm thankful that you've done the research. I've read, but don't always know the significance of the info after I have.
  • BrewerGeorge
    Options
    Thanks, intechpc and BrewerGeorge :smile: I do know that green tea has a diuretic effect on me--if I drink it on a trip, I'll be stopping once an hour. ...
    Happens to lots of people - that's why the myth is so seductive. The trick is that you're drinking more liquid with the beverage than you're peeing out. (Adult average is about 4-6 oz per pee if they go when they first feel the urge.)

I knew LOTS of people in the Navy who literally NEVER drank anything at all except coffee and Mt. Dew or Coke - including one guy who popped ephedrine (REALLY diuretic) like candy. These people would be dying of dehydration if all these other beverages didn't hydrate you.
  • val071418
    val071418 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    sneezles asked for research about my half your bodyweight (+) comment. I read it and I know a source was cited, but I don't have it handy. I know for me, when I get at least 100 ounces in a day, things work out better in terms of energy, lack of hunger between meals, the clear piss thing, and overall weight loss. I know that when I start to skimp on my water and get 64 ounces in, things don't work as well.

I agree with this. I started drinking hot decaf tea a couple times a day and counted it as water. But after a few days I was noticing my urine was getting darker, i didn't feel quite as good as normal, and I was not consuming as much regular water as I should have. And I do notice that when added up the ounces, I DO drink just shy of half my weight in water!! It helps flush sodium, which retains water and you gain weight, and keeps your body functioning at 100% allowing you to obtain the best benefit from your workouts!!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    The only reason to give up diet sodas is the sodium content

Another myth. The 12 oz Coke Zero I have is 40mg sodium. It is not a significant source of sodium.
  • Jcat52643
    Jcat52643 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Anything you drink counts as water unless it has caffeine. Caffeine acts as a diuretic and causes the body to get rid of more water so it's counter productive. It's not a myth, you can look it up in any drug database; look at the side effects and you'll find "diuresis" which is the medical term for increased urination. Alcohol should not be counted either since it inhibits the antidiuretic hormone and causes the same thing. Clearly, weight loss would be more productive if you drank sugar free drinks. I see nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners except the ones that can cause diarrhea (diarrhea=dehydration). Additionally, if you are weight training your body may tend to retain water due to the increase levels of lactic acid in the muscles. Drink more fluids when you are weight training so that the body doesn't try to hold onto so much of it. Beyond that, drink whatever you like or makes you feel good.

Trust me, I'm a doctor... Seriously, I am.

P.S. To correct another user who commented on the topic, the liver's primary function is to rid the body of toxins. It also stores sugars for use later and builds fats and cholesterols. So if anything, it makes you gain weight if you are eating too much and helps very little with losing weight even when you are eating well.
  • BrewerGeorge
    Options
    Anything you drink counts as water unless it has caffeine. Caffeine acts as a diuretic and causes the body to get rid of more water so it's counter productive. It's not a myth, you can look it up in any drug database; look at the side effects and you'll find "diuresis" which is the medical term for increased urination. Alcohol should not be counted either since it inhibits the antidiuretic hormone and causes the same thing. Clearly, weight loss would be more productive if you drank sugar free drinks. I see nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners except the ones that can cause diarrhea (diarrhea=dehydration). Additionally, if you are weight training your body may tend to retain water due to the increase levels of lactic acid in the muscles. Drink more fluids when you are weight training so that the body doesn't try to hold onto so much of it. Beyond that, drink whatever you like or makes you feel good.

P.S. To correct another user who commented on the topic, the liver's primary function is to rid the body of toxins. It also stores sugars for use later and builds fats and cholesterols. So if anything, it makes you gain weight if you are eating too much and helps very little with losing weight even when you are eating well.
    Nobody said it wasn't diuretic. The question is whether the 100mg of caffeine found in a cup of coffee has more than a cup's worth of diuretic effect. What's the net effect on the body's hydration level? Also, what do you think is the impact of the fact that regular users of caffeine develop a tolerance to its diuretic effects?

I'm not being snarky. I'm really, truly interested in hearing what you have to say. I've been basing my opinion on stuff like this:
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/559762_2 but I'm not a doctor so it's harder for me to judge the worth of this info than it must be for you.
  • Jcat52643
    Jcat52643 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Nobody said it wasn't diuretic. The question is whether the 100mg of caffeine found in a cup of coffee has more than a cup's worth of diuretic effect. What's the net effect on the body's hydration level? Also, what do you think is the impact of the fact that regular users of caffeine develop a tolerance to its diuretic effects?

I'm not being snarky. I'm really, truly interested in hearing what you have to say. I've been basing my opinion on stuff like this:
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/559762_2 but I'm not a doctor so it's harder for me to judge the worth of this info than it must be for you.

My apologies. I must have misunderstood/misread.

In my experience, very few studies can be trusted. Results can be skewed to say practically anything and more often than not the people conducting the studies do not use the appropriate statistical tests to analyze their results rendering them meaningless. The also don't typically have enough people included or go on long enough to produce clinically significant results. But they are a necessary evil, LOL! Anyway, I have seen other articles claiming that for every mg of caffeine ingested you lose around 1.2 mL of fluid. Do I believe this is true for everyone? Absolutely not. It is all dependent on kidney function and to be quite honest everyone is going to react differently to it. However, if you look at the caffeine content in 12 ounces of Mountain Dew (55 mg)... yeah, you would intake more than you excrete. So you do have a point. I don't agree with that article you posted about it being equal but I admit, you would still have a net gain of 81% of the fluids from that beverage. And I've never seen anyone suffer from dehydration due to excessive intake of caffeine (alcohol is another story though!). As far as tolerance goes, it's kind of pointless now isn't it seeing as how I just conceded to the whole fluid loss versus intake issue? :D