60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your wife, Steve. Vent all you want.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    It's good to hear from you, Steve - please vent or comment here in any way that's helpful to you.

Caregiving can be so difficult, having a severe or life-threatening condition can be so difficult, and combining those in a household (in the middle of a pandemic, besides!) is a multiplier of difficulty and drama, at times. The best one can manage - realistically manage - is plenty good enough, because it has to be, I think.

Positive thoughts and wishes heading your way.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 and others...
    Sometimes the ill concentrate on things that aren't necessary or important at the time. Because it is something THEY CAN CONTROL unlike their illness.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for your kind words.

@swimmom_1 - I can understand the need to try to control something when you feel like your life is out of control, but sometimes it is totally unreasonable.

I'm not the most empathetic person on my best day, and the heightened tension just makes it harder to care. I just try to concentrate on getting the things done that need to be done. I don't have the emotional energy for much more than that on days like these.

The good news - my sister-in-law arrives Sunday, so that should help lift my wife's spirit. Hoping for calmer, better days next week.

• wiley1st
    wiley1st Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 and feeling much better getting in lots of walking. Lost lots of weight and it helps me. Need to now focus on flexibility for my (sad) golf game :smile:
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. Riding that stupid emotional roller coaster with the wife. A lot of unnecessary drama that doesn't help anyone. Just causes more turmoil when calm is needed. Energy that could be used for caregiving is wasted on other issues. It's a struggle just to get through the day and night, sometimes.

My hat is off to anyone who serves as a caregiver for a long period of time. It is emotionally grueling. I'm trying to hold the line, weight wise, but I cave to stress eating at times.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit. This helps me get back to a more calm state.

Your doing amazing, I know how hard it is for you but your stronger than you know.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 Sending thoughts and prayers your way, Steve. I'm so glad that we can be there for you in even a small way.
  • pam_bryson
    pam_bryson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m Pam and I’m 60 recovering from spine surgery and a broken foot. Gained weight during pandemic due to inactivity and sciatica.

I’ve started losing weight using a pescatarian and vegan diet, but I’m having trouble hitting my protein goals set by a doctor.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,270 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hey @pam_bryson, I don't know much about that kind of diet but I do add nutritional yeast (yellow flaky) to a lot of things to boost the protein value.

Easy to stir into soups, stews, sauces.

Glad you were able to get the needed surgery!
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    pam_bryson wrote: »
    Hi! I’m Pam and I’m 60 recovering from spine surgery and a broken foot. Gained weight during pandemic due to inactivity and sciatica.

I’ve started losing weight using a pescatarian and vegan diet, but I’m having trouble hitting my protein goals set by a doctor.

See the thread below, It contains a chart listing foods and their protein content. Might give you some ideas for foods to add to your pantry. Regardless, I struggle, too, to get all the protein I should eat.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10244142/list-of-foods-with-highest-protein-calorie-percentage/p1
  • mustangmonie
    mustangmonie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd be delighted to join in. I'm just turned 60 last week. I'm needing to lose 40 lbs. I did it here once before and kept it off for 8 years. Sadly, I piled it back on over the last two years. I need to get it off. I don't feel as good and I certainly don't look as good. I need to get good and strong heading into the later years so my body doesn't fail me.
  • Elwin5
    Elwin5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good morning, would it be okay if I join your thread. Have read through a lot of comments and feel you are genuinely a kind and helpful community. I have been with MyFitnessPal for many years with success and failures. I do feel that things are much different than they were a few years back as for health wise, would like to hang with some humans who checked the same age bracket box as myself😉
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    Elwin5 wrote: »
    Good morning, would it be okay if I join your thread. Have read through a lot of comments and feel you are genuinely a kind and helpful community. I have been with MyFitnessPal for many years with success and failures. I do feel that things are much different than they were a few years back as for health wise, would like to hang with some humans who checked the same age bracket box as myself😉

If there was an entrance exam, or a group approval vote required, I missed it! 😉 We're quite a diverse bunch, I think, other than the age thing (and there's even a bit of flexibility at the margins for that). People here are at all stages of weight management, fitness, nutrition, health challenges, etc.

I think you've joined the group, just by posting. And welcome! If you have particular questions or challenges, or on the flip side tips and strategies that may help others, please post.
  • alteredsteve175
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Elwin5 wrote: »

Welcome, @Elwin5 You've come to the right place. Lots of seasoned citizens here. I tell people that the mutual support and encouragement is the best feature of MFP.
  • randylud
    randylud Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am in good company here, just turned 74 last Thursday and am glad to have made it.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    Hello, glad to have found a supportive gathering of people in my age group. I'm a 73 year old retired RN trying again to get down to a healthy weight. I yo-yo'd most of my adult life and just have not been able to get down all the way and keep it off. Being cooped up for Covid did a number on me but I am not giving up. Ever! I lost the Covid pounds and now working on the rest. I started Intermittent Fasting on Feb 1 and added 1200 cal limits using MFP on Feb 3. I am very pleased with my 6 pound wgt. loss so far. I would like to lose at least 30 pounds more but this time will be more focused on where my body feels stable rather than a number. Wishing you all great success.

Welcome! At least a few RN's here getting to healthy weights.

I FINALLY hit the 100 lb weight loss today! 75% of my goal completed!

Well done!
    I am down 100 lbs also! Just another 12 to 40 to go!
    I haven’t chosen a goal. 12 gets me to a “normal” BMI. But I am historically extremely thin due to genetics, so I will keep going until weight loss no longer seems to make sense with my body type.