60 yrs and up

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,491 Member
    Just checking in. Still no news from the doctors, but Kathy has an appointment with the oncologist next week. 🤞

Holding the line weight-wise. Minimal drinking - meal prep has been out the window, though. Getting some exercise walking the dog - better than nothing - back to the gym next week (I hope).

Glad to see y'all sticking to your programs. Thanks for the support!

Take care Steve. Sending happy healthy thoughts to you and yours.

• karlschaeffer
    seilidhe wrote: »
    xbsh3165wdnd.jpg
    y506sa3ldxz4.jpg

Love those saguaros!

• Tuppence26
    Tuppence26 Posts: 143 Member
    MaryFloNS wrote: »
    Hello,

New to the group. I had to discover in order to see the latest posts, I need to go to the last pages not the first. My name is Florence but you may call me Flo. I have lived in Nova Scotia all my 74 years as of the upcoming date of June 14. I have been overweight all my life and it never really bothered me so much. But in that not caring what I ate I reached 315 lbs. This was many years ago, I eventually got to my lowest last year at 243. Then the Nutella disaster happened and I shot up to 273 in no time. In between 243 and 273 I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis of the liver and Colon Cancer. Right now the cancer is gone, it didn't spread so treatment was not called for. The cirrhosis is compensated, which means it's not causing any problems and as long as I take care of myself with losing weight and eating better It can stay that way for another 10 or 12 years.

So, back to MFP where I log every thing that passes my lips. I weigh everything after it's cooked to get correct weight. I calculate my calories by using the Zig Zag method. MFP uses the same cal. count everyday, but that's ok, because the weekly total for the Zig Zag method and MFP are the same. I'm down 8 lbs being a slow process, but that's ok, because for the most part I'm getting used to the changes I have made. So, in order to take advantage of those 10 or 12 years, I need to be vigilant and true to myself. I finally took the plunge and took off my vice from my grocery list last week, two family sized bags of low salt potato chips. I got some bananas instead. I live alone so therefore I only have me to feed. No excuses. Accountability starts and ends with me.

Good luck to all who are on the never ending journey. Thank you for reading.

Flo

• Tuppence26
    Flo you are an inspiration!! Good on you for taking control of your eating. Slow steady progress is fantastic
  • mssue18
    mssue18 Posts: 117 Member
    Wishing Steve to hang in there and keep reaching out for support.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    mssue18 wrote: »

Thank you, Sue.

My wife and I saw the oncologist today. Confirmed the myeloma diagnosis. Chemo starts next week. The realistic prognosis is pretty bleak.

I don't know if I will be around here much in the future. I'm going to continue to weigh in and log food to take care of myself.

Thanks for your support, everyone.

Fingers crossed that she'll come out on the positive side of the odds, Steve. Hang in there, and do what you need to do to care for yourself and her, as job one. My heart goes out to both of you!
  • Tuppence26

Thank you, Sue.

My wife and I saw the oncologist today. Confirmed the myeloma diagnosis. Chemo starts next week. The realistic prognosis is pretty bleak.

I don't know if I will be around here much in the future. I'm going to continue to weigh in and log food to take care of myself.

• Tuppence26
    Goodness Steve I am really sorry to hear your news. How is your wife holding up? Will be thinking of you often 💁🏻‍♀️💁🏻‍♀️
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,239 Member

Thank you, Sue.

Oh so sorry to hear your news, take care of both of you , fingers crossed for the chemo and just spend as much precious time as you can together.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,777 Member
    @alteredsteve175 that is quite harsh as far as diagnosis and prognosis. :'(
    Sending many well wishes for both of you because it's not an easy road however it turns out.
    Please do continue to take care of yourself as best you can.

Hugs.... Summer.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Steve, I am so sorry to hear of your wife's diagnosis. My prayers are with you and the family for strength and comfort during this difficult time.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Steve-wishing you and your wife all the strength, prayers and hugs as you start navigating this difficult path. As you give, give and give more to help your wife, please remember to take care of yourself too. You have been a big player in cheering fellow MFP'rs on here, and we hope to return that support to you. Even if you don't log on here very often, we will be thinking of you and your wife. I'll send a few links of sites that might be helpful to you. Knowing you are not alone and can connect with others experiencing this can be extremely valuable. The first one, the Myeloma Crowd, lists about 29 facebook and other groups that might be helpful to you. I have no experience with these groups, but just looked for you so you could check a few out for starters. Hang in there, hugs.

https://www.myelomacrowd.org/connect/https://www.myeloma.org/
    https://www.myeloma.org/support-groups
    https://themmrf.org/resources/find-a-support-group/?category=60&radius=200
  • karlschaeffer

Thank you, Sue.

Prayers and healing thoughts to you and yours.

• 5838fish623
    5838fish623 Posts: 76 Member
    Steve sending prayers and positive vibes your way.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    @alteredsteve175 Prayers for you and Kathy and her medical team.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Prayers for you and your wife.