60 yrs and up

Replies

• Tuppence26
    Tuppence26 Posts: 143 Member
    glojlilly wrote: »
    @alteredsteve175 don't know if I will be around here much in the future. I'm going to continue to weigh in and log food to take care of myself.

Thanks for your support, everyone.

Steve, I am so sorry to hear this news. As with all things in life, just take one day at a time. You may do better with a cancer support group that offers more understanding of how you may feel. How to make adjustments for the family. I used a widow support group back in 2018 that helped me with shock and grief that only the members could relate to. Steve, you have been so supportive on mfp to so many. We stand in prayer for you even if we don't hear from you in a while. We understand you must stand by your wife and family at this time. We pray for your family strength and allow you privacy and time. Sincerely, Gloria

• Tuppence26
    Hi Gloria
    Good luck as you continue your calorie journey. I hope you check in from time to time. Yours was one of the first posts I responded to at the start of my journey🥰🥰Bye for now, Sue
    PS feel free to add me as a friend if you think you may want to drop in, in the future to say hi or seek support.
  • glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    @Tuppence26 Hello Sue, you're so sweet but it's Steve that I quoted as maybe not being around much in the future. I'm sorry his quote in my message was confusing. I am so glad we try to support each on this 60 and up community. 🙋
  • Tuppence26
    @Tuppence26 Hello Sue, you're so sweet but it's Steve that I quoted as maybe not being around much in the future. I'm sorry his quote in my message was confusing. I am so glad we try to support each on this 60 and up community. 🙋

• Tuppence26
    Oh dear silly me!!
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Alteredsteve175, positive thoughts going your way
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    @AnnPT77 the older orphans group is a great idea. I need to look for one myself. What a great photo and I thought at first they were all masked up instead of whited out. LOL.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    @AnnPT77 the older orphans group is a great idea. I need to look for one myself. What a great photo and I thought at first they were all masked up instead of whited out. LOL.

They weren't masked, this time. We were outdoors, all of them on the swings (whole group, actually) were 2 weeks past second shot, and obviously they were at least moderately distanced, though not a full 6'. We lunched in a picnic shelter with open sides, and spaced ourselves out around the picnic tables. Some people wore masks at the tables when we weren't eating.

I found them through Facebook, where there is an international group. Its name is "Elder Orphans". To be frank, I found that big group somewhat querulous, with a few rather negative people who would sometimes cause annoying levels of drama. The moderators work hard to keep things positive and general interest, though. (Several groups have split off for special interests, like for people who mostly wanted to high-volume share cute photos of their or really anyone's pets. 😉)

There's lots of useful stuff there, too, and it's a vehicle for finding local groups that may meet in person. Whether they exist, and what they're like, varies by location, of course. The "announcements" part of their Facebook page includes a post about how to find out whether there's a group in your area.

In my case, there's a tiny group (half a dozen people, maybe) in my medium-sized metro area, and the SE Michigan (greater Detroit region plus a bit) group (that had this picnic) has maybe 40 members of record, though usually fewer attend the in-person or Zoom events.

As you might guess, these groups seemingly tend to have a higher proportion of introverted, even shy or anxious people, compared to general run of the population. Some of us are elder and living alone with limited family by chance, others more by habit or preference, I think.
  • spruitt417
    spruitt417 Posts: 100 Member
    Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way, Steve.
  • Tuppence26
    Hi everyone. I am losing weight at a very slow rate. Will have to lift my exercise game or lower the calorie intake or both maybe🤭. MFP has focused my eating tho which is a big help. And I enjoy the blogs and chatter.
    Good luck for the week folks. Let’s give it our all
  • glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    My weight loss is slow as well. I need to hit the stationary bike at night because of the rain preventing walks. We've got this!
  • Tuppence26
    My weight loss is slow as well. I need to hit the stationary bike at night because of the rain preventing walks. We've got this!

• Tuppence26
    You’re right back on the bike. I haven’t been on the stat bike for about 2 weeks maybe more....
  • Tuppence26
    Happy Weekend peeps! Chasing a toddler and holding a newborn. It’s way fun since we haven’t seen the grandkids for a year, but boy, they wear you out. I guess that means I’m old! 🤣

• Tuppence26
    Hey the grandkids are great exercise motivators eh?? Love them to bits❤️
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    . No good news - pain has not been abated - mobility has not improved. Hoping that the radiation treatments are the "magic bullet" as advertised. 'Cause, Lordy, this is hard to watch. I hate feeling helpless.

Thanks for the support, y'all.

:'(:'(:'(