Never to Old to Set BIG Goals

Options
Hello All!!! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Frank. I'm 65 years old. On December 31 I weighed 268 pounds, smoked a pack of cigarettes a day and drank 18 beers a day. I got tired of it ALL and decided I wanted to return to my health at 40 years of age. At 40 I used to love hiking, cycling, friends, bodybuilding, being outdoors, exercise and fitness.
So starting January 1, I decided to make some changes in my life. I quit smoking cold turkey and quit drinking. Several weeks later, I started looking on line for a platform to help with my weight control when I found My Fitness Pal. I love this platform!! Food logging is the WAY TO GO!!! I also started walking everyday and am now up to 3 miles a day. I live in the northeast (New England) and have walked everyday, even when it was 5 degrees outside several weeks ago. As of yesterday, February 20 I have lost 40 pounds and am 23 pounds away from my goal weight of 205.
Words of advice. My goal isn't to lose 63 pounds. My goal is to lose 1 pound 63 times. I intend on running a Marathon in 2024. I'll let you know how I do.
BTW. What is NSV?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,191 Member
    Options
    Hello All!!! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Frank. I'm 65 years old. On December 31 I weighed 268 pounds, smoked a pack of cigarettes a day and drank 18 beers a day. I got tired of it ALL and decided I wanted to return to my health at 40 years of age. At 40 I used to love hiking, cycling, friends, bodybuilding, being outdoors, exercise and fitness.
    So starting January 1, I decided to make some changes in my life. I quit smoking cold turkey and quit drinking. Several weeks later, I started looking on line for a platform to help with my weight control when I found My Fitness Pal. I love this platform!! Food logging is the WAY TO GO!!! I also started walking everyday and am now up to 3 miles a day. I live in the northeast (New England) and have walked everyday, even when it was 5 degrees outside several weeks ago. As of yesterday, February 20 I have lost 40 pounds and am 23 pounds away from my goal weight of 205.
    Words of advice. My goal isn't to lose 63 pounds. My goal is to lose 1 pound 63 times. I intend on running a Marathon in 2024. I'll let you know how I do.
    BTW. What is NSV?

"Non Scale Victory".

Congratulations on your excellent results so far! Keep up the good strategies, and more of those kind of results will follow.

To me, part of the goal is (was) to find new, sustainable, relatively easy, relatively happy habits that would carry me to a healthy weight, then keep me there long term - ideally permanently - without requiring white-knuckled discipline/willpower the whole time, because (1) those aren't my strength in the first place, and (2) they're had to keep up if life starts throwing curve balls (and it will).

I lost something in the neighborhood of your total goal (50-something pounds), back in 2015-16, at age 59-60, and have been hanging around here since then maintaining a healthy weight (after previous decades of overweight/obesity), now age 66.

Good luck with your continuing weight loss, and your marathon goal!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Welcome Frank sounds like you have already made a good start, good luck
  • mustangmonie
    mustangmonie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You are killing it! Great job!

NSV = Non-scale victory. For instance, you start noticing muscle definition, your the same weight but fit into smaller clothes, finished your first 5K... any accomplishment that isn't directly related to the number on your scale.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Its funny that you are asking about the meaning of NSV when your introduction highlights three - quitting smoking, quitting drinking, and walking 3 miles a day in NE winter weather!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    926hfjqtcdna.jpg
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Frank, you are an inspiration to this 65 y.o. that needs to accomplish all that you have and more.
  • frankconnell19
    frankconnell19 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support!