Intermittent fasting

Good morning! 35 years old mom and wifey here. Atleast 40 pounds to lose. My doctor most recently recommended intermittent fasting for overall health and weight loss. I picked up the book feast fast repeat by Gin Stephens. It's been a helpful read. But I'm looking for accountability and support while I start my journey with 18.6 for now.

Replies

• phoebe2488
    phoebe2488 Posts: 106 Member
    Add me! I've been doing it, but could use the support.
  • cjsunnyside
    cjsunnyside Posts: 136 Member
    Count me in. I am also trying IF ( combined with keto) and it’s going pretty well!
  • chargersfan67
    chargersfan67 Posts: 16 Member
    I could def use the accountability as well.. I keep restarting
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    I would recommend joining Gin's online community, I didn't find this place to be the best place to discuss IF or ask questions. The first few months of IF can be a bit confusing, and being able to ask a community of people all doing it the same way was really helpful for me.
  • nic0520
    nic0520 Posts: 86 Member
    I am also doing IF, started 3 weeks ago- in the middle of reading Gin's book. I am currently at 20:4 and lost 6lbs and a ton of inches, but the best thing is how great I feel. I would love more IF friends on MFP
    -Nicole
  • Thewonderofitall
    Thewonderofitall Posts: 97 Member
    I believe that IF has helped me lose weight! I started my quest at 239 pounds. By just diet adjustment and exercise alone, I got down to about 170 lbs. I really wanted to get centered in my BMI index at 155. I started doing 16:8 IF the five work days of the week last Spring. I really didn't think this would be possible as for years if I didn't eat within a half an hour of getting up in the morning my stomach would be messed up for the whole day. It was tough the first week to skip breakfast. As I went along it got easier and I started doing a 23 hour fast on Wednesday's. I had read about autophogy and thought I'd give it a try. There's some debate whether autophagy takes place in 23 hours, but I tried it anyhow. It wasn't all that hard! I did drink a lot of water however. Then just to prove to myself that I could do it, I did a 47 hour fast! Once again, it wasn't all that hard and indeed as they said would happen, I really felt great the last 8 hours! I found it important to understand that food does not make you or rule you and that you posses the power to control consumption.

I managed to not only meet my goal of 155 lbs, but my all time low is 152.3 lbs! Now that the cold weather has arrived with Winter, I have found myself much hungrier in the morning. Seeing as I'm down to around 18% body fat and lifting weights more, I am now going to start with "protein shakes" in the morning and will adjust my calories through the rest of the day to allow this.

Stay tuned...
  • birgitmones
    birgitmones Posts: 1 Member
    Hey! My name is Birgit, living in Estonia, Tallinn. Thank you for sharing your experience, it was a good read ;). I’m trying to lose 10 pounds (about 5kg) and feel lighter and more energized. IF has really helped to speed things up and I don’t feel like I have to give up anything. I started two weeks ago and have already lost 3kg, just a little bit more to go. :)

I have a question though…is IF something that should be my everyday routine from here on? Or, when I reach my goal, I should switch back to just eating healthy, 3 times a day, and make sure I have enough exercise? Can you do IF endlessly?
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Hey! My name is Birgit, living in Estonia, Tallinn. Thank you for sharing your experience, it was a good read ;). I’m trying to lose 10 pounds (about 5kg) and feel lighter and more energized. IF has really helped to speed things up and I don’t feel like I have to give up anything. I started two weeks ago and have already lost 3kg, just a little bit more to go. :)

I have a question though…is IF something that should be my everyday routine from here on? Or, when I reach my goal, I should switch back to just eating healthy, 3 times a day, and make sure I have enough exercise? Can you do IF endlessly?

Many people do IF indefinitely.