A "serving" of icing?

Options
rwarren1969
rwarren1969 Posts: 20 Member
edited March 2022 in Food and Nutrition
I'm new to MFP and still getting the hang of entering my food every day. I've got a problem coming up and would like some help.

I decorate cakes as a hobby. How do I determine what constitutes a "serving" of icing? I can put my cake and buttercream recipes into MFP, fine. But I won't use them the same way each time. Today I might make cupcakes -- a swirly top and a piped flower won't take the same amount of icing. Or I might bake part of the batter and freeze the rest because there's nopoint having 12-18 cupcakes lying around when you live alone. Next week I might do a layer cake. And I won't use the entire recipe of icing.

Entering recipes is difficult enough when the system decides to code things weirdly. Seeing 1 cup of butter clock in at 1600 calories is just bizarre. Or a cookie recipe yields 54 servings. And I still think something is wrong with the cornbread calculations -- one mini slice cannot be 228 calories. Don't get me started on the "ingredient matching" -- it can't even get sugar and eggs right.

(Now before anyone jumps on me about my baking, yes I do have 29.5 sweet teeth to satisfy but I also give a good bit of it away. It's not possible these days to have bake sales, and trying to make a full-fledged business out of it won't be profitable. Baking helps me stay sane.)

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I totally understand why you bake - baking and cooking have been my ‘happy place’ since childhood. I do much less of the baking now all the kids have left home but given any opportunity I still love to do it!

As far as your buttercream issue goes and trying to work out how much of it you’ve used on a particular bake I’d handle it like this; make up and calculate the calories of the batch, weigh the finished buttercream and make a note of that weight. Once you’ve finished covering and swirling weigh whatever buttercream is left in the bowl. Simple subtraction will then tell you how much you’ve used. Let’s say you’ve made 12 cupcakes - if you then divide the weight of used buttercream in grams by 12 you’ll have a pretty close approximation of how much buttercream to account for on each sweet treat.

I’m a little confused by your comments on ‘the system codes things weirdly’?

It’s a sad fact of life that a cup of butter (taking a cup as 227g as that seems to be the standard conversion) DOES have over 1600 calories! There’s no funny business going on in the database on this occasion, although it does always pay to double check as there are definitely some weird and not-so-wonderful entries in there!

If a cookie recipe yields 54 cookies then, using the recipe builder enter all the ingredients and when it prompts you to enter the servings type in 54. Then you’ll have the calories per cookie.

As for your cornbread - without knowing your particular recipe, I can’t tell if it’s accurate, but if you go through each ingredient in your recipe and sanity check the individual items you’ll be as accurate as you can be.

Either weigh the entire baked cornbread and enter that gram weight as the number of servings, then weigh each piece as you eat it and enter that number as the number of servings or simply divide the entire thing into 9 or 12 or whatever makes sense according to your batch size and enter one serving as you eat each piece.

For reference, my cornbread recipe comes out at about 192 for a small (maybe 3cm x 3cm) square so yours doesn’t sound wildly inaccurate if your recipe maybe has more butter, eggs or sugar than mine.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Sounds fairly easy to me: weight every ingredient that goes into your cake or cookies in grams. Then you might end up with something like 300gr butter, 500gr flower, 200gr icing sugar etc.. and safe it as a recipe for you (you can delete it later on if you wish). So you have several options. Create an entry for 100gr, and weight the piece you're eating and log that in grams. Safe it as how many servings you have and log one serving, or safe everything as one serving and log in fractions, like 1/12 for 1 from 12 cookies. or if fractions doesn't work you log it as 1/12 = 0.0833 servings.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts and will add: If you can't find items in the database that you think are entered correctly, you can make a new entry or edit an existing one. For the record though, butter, sugar, flour and all other common baking goods are already added to the database correctly, you may have to click on a few to find one you like (or like I said, enter a new one into the database.)

The database was 99.9% created by other members of this site and many of them are just not correct. You do need to check each item before you use it but if you're entering Recipes once you use one that's correct, it will calculate correctly when you do percentages (as in when calculating for one cupcake the way BarbaraHelen2013 suggested above.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I think you are asking about how to set the servings for a recipe, and the answer is: however you like. I like to do the math to set it to 100 g since that is just easy in practice, in many cases, but if I intend for something to be 10 servings or 6 or 4, depending on what it is, I might use that and then make sure I note the total weight so I can measure stuff out and log it accurately. (Others set it so a serving is 1 g -- total weight of 455 g = 455 servings -- to make logging easier, but I prefer the 100 g for that.) If you make enough icing for 12 cupcakes you might just use 12 and then not worry about the fact that the cupcakes won't be perfectly the same (that's what I would do). Whatever you set the servings as, the recipe builder will adjust.
  • rwarren1969
    Options
    As for your cornbread - without knowing your particular recipe, I can’t tell if it’s accurate, but if you go through each ingredient in your recipe and sanity check the individual items you’ll be as accurate as you can be.

Here is my recipe: https://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking-and-desserts/recipe/corn-bread-loaf

Instead of baking it in 9x13, I made 3 mini loaves. One of these was hiding in my freezer till recently, the other 2 were given away by the Food Fairy. This isn't something I bake regularly, but when I get stuck with half a box of buttermilk, I pull it out.

• cmriverside
    edited March 2022
    Options

Here is my recipe: https://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking-and-desserts/recipe/corn-bread-loaf

Instead of baking it in 9x13, I made 3 mini loaves. One of these was hiding in my freezer till recently, the other 2 were given away by the Food Fairy. This isn't something I bake regularly, but when I get stuck with half a box of buttermilk, I pull it out.

So, look at it...add all the ingredients' calories and then divide.

I make cornbread with pumpkin or apple instead of oil and/or egg. If I make it with buttermilk and/or butter and egg, then a small cupcake/muffin size cornbread muffin is over 200 calories. If I make it without the oil/butter it's about 120-160 calories (I'm going by memory here.) Cornmeal, flour, and sugar just by themselves are pretty calorie-dense.

You'll have to weigh loaves and divide if you're using loaves.
  • rwarren1969
    edited March 2022
    Options

Looking back on the recipes (sweet and savory) I;ve already entered....

"egg whites" = not the crack an egg and separate it kind, but some commerical egg replacement.
    "salt and pepper" = potato chips? Something salt and pepper flavored, not the spices. Another recipe turned an unusual imported abbreviation into 1/2 CUP of salt.
    "lemon slice" = Not a piece of a fresh lemon, but some Weight Watchers diet food!
    "green pepper" = Not a fresh pepper but something measured by the tub with hudnreds of calories!

This I find extremely frustrating and offputting. When I had a job, I specialized in databases so the level of duplication and range of number outputs is irritating. And it is bringing back bad memories of being bullied by my university health service, who invented calorie numbers for my mother's home cooking that were astronomical (and inaccurate), in order to pressure me to eat all my meals at the university cafeteria.

Also with quantities. When you bake you don't use 1 tsp or 1 tbsp of sugar, you use 1 cup. And when there are 20 different kinds of plain old white sugar, and you have to scroll through to find one that uses measurements that make sense to you, it makes me want to give up recording my food.

On the positive side I do appreciate that Canadian branding (including local store brands) are readily available to choose.

• cmriverside
    edited March 2022
    Options

"egg whites" = not the crack an egg and separate it kind, but some commerical egg replacement.
    "salt and pepper" = potato chips? Something salt and pepper flavored, not the spices. Another recipe turned an unusual imported abbreviation into 1/2 CUP of salt.
    "lemon slice" = Not a piece of a fresh lemon, but some Weight Watchers diet food!
    "green pepper" = Not a fresh pepper but something measured by the tub with hudnreds of calories!

This I find extremely frustrating and offputting.

Also with quantities. When you bake you don't use 1 tsp or 1 tbsp of sugar, you use 1 cup. And when there are 20 different kinds of plain old white sugar, and you have to scroll through to find one that uses measurements that make sense to you, it makes me want to give up recording my food.

On the positive side I do appreciate that Canadian branding (including local store brands) are readily available to choose.

Well, you have to look at the item before you use it!

There are tens of millions of entries in the database and 99.9% of them have been entered by other users.

If you don't want to enter each item you use into the database yourself, then you'll have to take a bit of time up-front to check the entries before you use them.

If something is correct *enough* but just uses tsp instead of "cup" then do the math. There are thousands of metric conversion tools on the internet.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Are you trying to use the recipe importer? I find the add manually option much easier. The importing feature doesn't work so well IME.
    When I had a job, I specialized in databases so the level of duplication and range of number outputs is irritating.

This is a separate issue, and has pluses and minuses. Basically, the database contains a small percentage of MFP added whole foods from the USDA database, and then enormous amounts of user entered options. As you get used to it, it's much easier to find what you want or you can simply enter your own entries at first.
    And it is bringing back bad memories of being bullied by my university health service, who invented calorie numbers for my mother's home cooking that were astronomical (and inaccurate), in order to pressure me to eat all my meals at the university cafeteria.

No one is trying to pressure you here. Some of them are wrong in some ways, some in others, and others are correct but perhaps from a different version of the product or for cooked vs raw options or from what is sold in other countries. Again, you need to learn to recognize what you want, which is often a bit of a learning curve (although not a hard one).

If you find the right entries, there are usually tons of unit options -- that's one of the signs that it's an MFP entered (USDA) entry. "sugar, white" would be an option for sugar that would likely bring up one with lots of options pretty easily. I just tried and the first two had many options but not cups, and the third one had cups. (I don't bake much now, but when I did I liked using grams which is actually why I had a food scale even before starting this, so I don't agree that bakers inherently use cups. But cups are an easy measurement to find, so hopefully it will get easier -- as you use entries they get saved in your recent foods, which helps.)

Indeed! That's the other side of the enormous number of entries -- you will find brands from countries all around the world, not just the US and Canada.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Adding to the above: If you use the recipe builder in web MFP, the following may not be obvious. (I think the phone/tablet app works similarly, but probably looks a little different on screen. I prefer using web browser MFP for recipes, so I'm less familiar with that function on my phone/tablet.)

On the web, after submit the recipe URL, you get a list of (it says) matched ingredients. If you hover your cursor over the upper right "blank" area of an ingredient's line, you'll see the options "edit quantity" "replace" and "remove". If you think an item is wrong calorically, click on "replace" and it will give you some additional options, where you can click on quantities and such to modify.

If you think none of those are suitable, change the words in the search box a little (like put in a brand name if you're using a branded product, or add a sensible adjective that applies, like "yellow" or "fine" with cornmeal, and you'll get different options. (If somethings really wonky and hard to get good entries, sometimes I whip out my phone and search ingredients as if I were going to add them to my daily log, because that gives me more options at a time to look at.) For example, I'm guessing your weird green pepper entry might've brought up a database item (badly named) for (maybe) green peppercorns. Try something with adjectives, like "pepper bell sweet green raw". (I've listed multiple adjectives, you probably don't need all of them.)

Just for fun, I imported your cornbread link, to see how long it would take as an experienced MFP user. I double checked 3 of the ingredients (via that "replace" thing) because I wasn't sure, and to keep ithe steps realistic. I even checked one item on my phone, as described above. (FWIW, they each turned out to be close enough for my tastes - sometimes different brands vary by a few calories.) It took just less than 4 minutes to add the recipe this way. (I admit, it would take longer if you're just learning how to use the tool. Things tend to be slower when we're new to them, and I get that that can be frustrating.)

If I use the cornbread web site's default of 15 servings for their 9"x13" pan, it comes out to 260 calories per serving. So, 228 for a slice of a mini-loaf could be right, depending on how you cut it. Butter, sugar, and flours are calorie dense, unfortunately for those who enjoy eating them!

I think many of us have some sticker shock at the calorie price of certain things, when we first start logging. However, that's a separate thing from whether the calories are correct, or not. So, the "1 cup of butter at 1600 calories" may be bizarre, but that's about right.

(If the problem is that you want tablespoons vs. a cup, you can use the "edit quantity" to adjust the recipe. I'm sure that as a baker you know that with Imperial volume measures, 1 cup is 16 tablespoons, and of course that makes 1 tablespoon 1/16 of a cup, or 0.0625 of a one-cup serving, times 3 (0.1875 of a cup) if it's 3 tablespoons or something like that. Same deal in reverse with sugar: If the item is in tablespoons, and you need a cup, you can use the "edit quantity" to put 16 in a tablespoons entry, or check the serving size drop down to see if 1 cup is on the list - it often will be, but not always.)

Yup, there's arithmetic. I don't like arithmetic, but working with calories has made me better at doing it, which is useful in other ways. As a recipe person, you're probably already better at arithmetic than I am, from doubling/halving recipes and whatnot, maybe.

I hear what you're saying, truly I do. Using a new tool, and thinking about food in a slightly different way, is difficult, can be challenging, frustrating, even a bit overwhelming. There is a learning process, and things take longer at first. They get faster and even quite automatic, maybe even easy, once we get familiar. Whether calorie counting is going to work out for you in the longer run is going to be up to you. It's not the only approach that can work, although it's one that works great for me (and some other folks).

Folks on this thread are absolutely not trying to bully you - I'm for sure not. We're trying to help you use these tools. If you decide you don't like the tools, don't want to use them, that's totally up to you, and totally fine.

Best wishes!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating, but once recipes are added, it's much easier to use them in the future.

I try to do two things when adding a new recipe. (1) Give myself some extra time to get it entered. I'll often import the recipe earlier in the day and find the correct entries for each ingredient, so when I'm cooking I can focus on just getting the grams exact. (2) Laugh at the crazy database entries that it automatically selects!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    All I want to say is I have a severe weakness for icing. :( Back in the day I'd simply whip up some peanut butter frosting and stuff cinnamon graham crackers with it. Course I wasn't counting calories then. Wouldn't dare to do that now.
    You're so much stronger than I am.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

This I find extremely frustrating and offputting. When I had a job, I specialized in databases so the level of duplication and range of number outputs is irritating. And it is bringing back bad memories of being bullied by my university health service, who invented calorie numbers for my mother's home cooking that were astronomical (and inaccurate), in order to pressure me to eat all my meals at the university cafeteria.

Oh dear, I feel your pain. In fact; I totally do.

Every food item I use, I first take the actual packet to the computer and ensure the product is correctly entered.

It's slow and painful but it gets quicker and quicker. You're at the OMFG who created this database phase; I remember that. :D one recipe at a time. :)
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options

I get the impression it's the norm in the US but in the UK most use grams (or ounces if someone is older and resistant to change 😂) to weigh most solid things and only use teaspoons/tablespoons for small amounts of liquid (milliliters for larger amounts), or a small amount of salt or spices that a standard kitchen scale wouldn't pick up or be especially accurate for. Although the nerdier of us have gram scales for that when precision is important. It's more accurate than volume measurements for solids and I find it reasonably easy to input recipes.

The way I do it is on the mobile app. The website absolutely sucks for inputting and finding recipes when you've got hundreds of them. I write the recipe using the bulk import ingredients setting, and then when the app comes up with its list, I check and amend it. I scan barcodes if necessary (ensuring the data matches what the packet says) or just use what's there if there's something that matches for calories because a) I don't care about tracking macros and b) the macros on many entries are wrong. I almost never use the importing recipes from websites because the parsing of those sucks, and people often put instructions next the the ingredient which confuses poor old MFP.

It's laborious at first but you do get a feel for what's right and wrong, and how to put the magic words in in the first place to get a good entry so it becomes pretty painless. It'll take me less than 5 minutes to input an average recipe now, and once it's there I can amend it if I make any major changes. I denote this with "modified" in the title if I have diverged from the recipe.