How do you get your protein

Options
2»

Replies

• Cerimie
    Cerimie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    PS one of my friends just posted a recipe for a smoothie made from silken tofu, coffee, ice and some sweetener. (She used brown sugar, but I keep an arsenal of Jordan’s zero cal syrup flavors on hand.)

That’s potentially a nice smoothie for about 100 calories.

I’m buying some today to test it out. As soon as it’s not 21 degrees here. Brrrr…..

My main issue is if I need to buy tofu for something like smoothies I think it will get a bit too expensive for me personally
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi or Lidl near you? The quality of Lidl products has been outstanding. Their Greek yogurt is less than $2 for a large tub.

You could also try making your own yogurt or kefir to cut expenses. It’s super easy to do. It’s kind of like sourdough. You use a little of the last batch to be the starter for the next one.

With homemade yogurt, you get liquid whey as a byproduct. It’s good in smoothies and fantastic in baked goods, including bread.

I make pudding with Greek yogurt, a little water, and sugar free instant pudding mix. It’s lovely. Tastes like mousse and very filling. My favorites are lemon (yum!!!!!), and vanilla mixed with a can of pumpkin purée and some pie seasoning. Tastes like the center of a pumpkin pie.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    Lidl also sells pound containers of store brand uncured deli ham (50 calories/56gr serving) for half what Publix and Kroger sells it for, and they’ve started carrying Oscar Mayer deli cut turkey (same cals as the ham) for a good price.

They also have some pretty fabulous chicken sausage (high protein/low cal) that is often on sale, occasionally even BOGO. I’m using their andouille chicken sausage in some red beans next week. I just made a great tomato soup with slices of their Italian chicken.