Kettle Ball to purchase

2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I'm just throwing this in here, both for TO and for myself as a reminder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQDxf8fuMpk
    How to properly do kettlebell exercises. I always have to remind myself again when doing swings as just going down in the knees is so much easier :#
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    I started at 56yo with a 10-15lb kettlebell from TJMaxx. These are good to practice the movements. I later donated them.

Then I bought a 25 and 35 from CAP. I now use these for carries and swings. I use dumbbells for TGU. This combo is good for my core work and specific power training.

The handles on all the sizes were similarly large like the cap dumbbells and perhaps larger than the men’s barbell. I primarily use women’s barbell for heavier strength work.

Consider if going higher on the adjustable kettlebells is something you would do. I would probably only go higher for suitcase walks.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2022
    I'll just throw in a word for the KettleGryp, especially if (like me) there's already a range of dumbbells available. There are good Youtubes showing the pros and cons - there are both. The main limits are with active movements for which the size and shape of the inserted DB can be inappropriate, and that I wouldn't trust it over about 20kg. For me it's a test of personal ongoing interest in using KBs seriously, and so far none - alternatively consider a month or two of coaching at a well-equipped gym to find that out - by and large the greater skill and risk movements the KettleGryp won't do well are ones worth learning from a pro.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I2k4 wrote: »
    I'll just throw in a word for the KettleGryp, especially if (like me) there's already a range of dumbbells available. There are good Youtubes showing the pros and cons - there are both. The main limits are with active movements for which the size and shape of the inserted DB can be inappropriate, and that I wouldn't trust it over about 20kg. For me it's a test of personal ongoing interest in using KBs seriously, and so far none - alternatively consider a month or two of coaching at a well-equipped gym to find that out - by and large the greater skill and risk movements the KettleGryp won't do well are ones worth learning from a pro.

If I were to go that route, I'd get this instead. I'm guessing you're female? I don't want my male parts hit by a dumbbell. This one is similar to the KettleGryp but allows you to turn the dumbbell so you don't hit yourself in the legs when doing swings.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jayflex/hyperbell?ref=axhy0i&fbclid=IwAR1kWi6VTmywQzMv-0xLkqwizkeoBDMGNV6N2n_dXOcH8HZwQ-QyEn2i3Es
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    I2k4 wrote: »

If I were to go that route, I'd get this instead. I'm guessing you're female? I don't want my male parts hit by a dumbbell. This one is similar to the KettleGryp but allows you to turn the dumbbell so you don't hit yourself in the legs when doing swings.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jayflex/hyperbell?ref=axhy0i&fbclid=IwAR1kWi6VTmywQzMv-0xLkqwizkeoBDMGNV6N2n_dXOcH8HZwQ-QyEn2i3Es

Interesting, the video shows rotating the DB seems to solve some problems doing what the Kettlegrype does, and might be more durable. I (male) have done crotch-safe swings simply holding the handle improperly at 90 degrees, if there's a bio-mechanical form problem I don't feel it, but no plans to take the discipline to the serious "next level" - I do like the handle for shoulder mobility halos and round the body hand-offs.