No weight loss this weekend.

Options
Why didn't I loose any weight this weekend? I ate 1300 calories per day, I weighed and logged my food. Last weekend I ate 1300 calories and lost 3 lbs. I dont go over 120 carbs per day and my fat is 44 grams per day. Should I give it a week and do light exercise?
Tagged:

Replies

• azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Give it time. Look in the mirror and/or weigh yourself after 2 weeks for genuine progress.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Because your weight won't always go down. Sometimes it will stay the same, sometimes it will go up for weeks on end. These are are normal things to see on the scale when losing weight.

The scale doesn't just measure how much fat is on your body, it measures everything, and a lot of those things go up and down much faster and much more dramatically than your fat does.

You can't tell what's going on in terms of fat unless you look at upwards of a few months of data. Any timeline shorter than that is not giving you a clear picture of what's happening with your fat levels.

Don't try to connect how you are yesterday with what the scale says today. If you do that, you will drive yourself crazy.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,809 Member
    Options
    Good things come with time.

Super fast weight loss is not a good thing, despite the screaming headlines and influencer chatter.

Patience, Grasshopper.
  • faithdwind
    faithdwind Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    azuki84 wrote: »
    Give it time. Look in the mirror and/or weigh yourself after 2 weeks for genuine progress.

What if I Weigh myself in two weeks and don't see progress?
  • faithdwind
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    faithdwind wrote: »

What if you don't "what if"? 😉 (This may not be true for you, but one of the things I learned during cancer treatment was that if I worried about things that might not happen, beyond minimal plans for handling them, I was just increasing my anxiety unnecessarily, and making myself unhappier than I needed to be.)

You say you'd seen an increment of loss on the scale, then there was a sudden jump. Those of us with experience are telling you that that sudden jump is almost certainly water weight or digestive contents, not fat gain, as long as your eating and activity levels have stayed consistent and there was nothing in there (moving much less, eating much more) to account for that much fat (re-)gain.

I'm curious, though: You say you only ate 1300 calories during the weekend. Is that 1300 calories, total, including both days, or 1300 calories per day? And what did you do, how many calories did you eat, during the week, between the weekends? Your results in two weeks (or any longer length of time) will depend on the average of what you do over all the days in the time period, not just the weekends.

I meant for the whole week(per day)! Sorry If I confused you. This will be my third week eating 1300 calories. I know that I said What if I didn't loose any weight in two weeks, but if I don't check until my 6th week, and no result, should I raise my calories?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options

What if you don't "what if"? 😉 (This may not be true for you, but one of the things I learned during cancer treatment was that if I worried about things that might not happen, beyond minimal plans for handling them, I was just increasing my anxiety unnecessarily, and making myself unhappier than I needed to be.)

You say you'd seen an increment of loss on the scale, then there was a sudden jump. Those of us with experience are telling you that that sudden jump is almost certainly water weight or digestive contents, not fat gain, as long as your eating and activity levels have stayed consistent and there was nothing in there (moving much less, eating much more) to account for that much fat (re-)gain.

I'm curious, though: You say you only ate 1300 calories during the weekend. Is that 1300 calories, total, including both days, or 1300 calories per day? And what did you do, how many calories did you eat, during the week, between the weekends? Your results in two weeks (or any longer length of time) will depend on the average of what you do over all the days in the time period, not just the weekends.

I meant for the whole week(per day)! Sorry If I confused you. This will be my third week eating 1300 calories. I know that I said What if I didn't loose any weight in two weeks, but if I don't check until my 6th week, and no result, should I raise my calories?

Good, that makes sense, as a routine.

But I still don't like the negative "what if". I feel like that's encouraging anxiety, creating stress. Y'know what? Stress is one possible thing that can increase water retention, and water retention can hide fat loss on the scale. It's fat loss we care about, isn't it?

There exists an actual physical-psychological syndrome where people (usually women, unfortunately) become stressed about weight loss being slow, add water weight from stress, panic about not losing (maybe even gaining) when it's just about water retention (not fat), cut harder, create more stress, hold onto more water weight . . . on repeat. That is not a good thing. Implicitly, without wanting to be all alarmist about something that - yes - may not happen to you, we're trying to guide you away from the thought patterns that can lead in that direction.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/research/dietary-restraint-cortisol-levels

If you're adult, female but not in menopause yet, compare your weight at the same relative point in at least two different menstrual cycles - for example, last day of menstruation in each cycle. The third cycle might even provide better insight.

If you are not over-stressed by daily weighing, do that - first thing in the morning, after bathroom, same state of (un)dress, before eating/drinking is ideal. Record that weight. A free weight trending app would be a useful place to record. (Happy Scale for Apple iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight with a free Fitbit account (don't need a device), Weightgrapher, others). The day to day weight fluctuations (water, digestive contents mostly) can be misleading. A trending app isn't magically insightful, but it can be a help, in sorting out progress from random stuff.

I'd suggest that you also tape-measure some key points, maybe once a month (same point in cycle!). The first time, make it a point to think how you can best be sure you're putting the tape at the exact same place, and level, every time. If you can, take some photos: Front, side, back, slim-fit but not compressive clothing or something like a bathing suit. (Don't do undies. Trust me, you'll want to be proudly showing off your "before" once you reach that "after". MFP has a "no undies in photos" rule.)

Sometimes one thing will show progress, when another doesn't.

If you literally have seen no new low-point weight** in 6 weeks (or 1-2 full menstrual cycles), I'd urge you to come back here, provide details, ideally open up your diary so the MFP old hands can take a look, and answer questions folks might have. Depending on details, it may make sense to increase calories, decrease calories, do some of the estimates differently, or something else.

** You will be asked what "no loss" means to you, if it comes to that. Sometimes people show up here, post "I'm not losing", and it turns out that they lost slower than expected, maybe even a pound a week, but that felt like "no loss" to them because they were trying really hard . . . so we tend to ask. 😉

The Community folks (me included) can sometimes be confused, repetitive, misunderstand, communicate unclearly in writing, and generally be fallibly human. Still, please know that many people here would truly like to see you succeed, want to help you, because weight management success has been so very powerful in their own lives. That's absolutely true for me. We will do our (imperfect) best to help you.

Really: Trust the process, follow the process, try to be calm, see what happens. If you don't get the results you reasonably hope for, we will try to help you figure it out, try a variation, see how that works for you. If you keep going, keep experimenting, adjust based on results, you can succeed at this.

Best wishes!
  • faithdwind
    Options

But I still don't like the negative "what if". I feel like that's encouraging anxiety, creating stress. Y'know what? Stress is one possible thing that can increase water retention, and water retention can hide fat loss on the scale. It's fat loss we care about, isn't it?

There exists an actual physical-psychological syndrome where people (usually women, unfortunately) become stressed about weight loss being slow, add water weight from stress, panic about not losing (maybe even gaining) when it's just about water retention (not fat), cut harder, create more stress, hold onto more water weight . . . on repeat. That is not a good thing. Implicitly, without wanting to be all alarmist about something that - yes - may not happen to you, we're trying to guide you away from the thought patterns that can lead in that direction.

If you're adult, female but not in menopause yet, compare your weight at the same relative point in at least two different menstrual cycles - for example, last day of menstruation in each cycle. The third cycle might even provide better insight.

If you are not over-stressed by daily weighing, do that - first thing in the morning, after bathroom, same state of (un)dress, before eating/drinking is ideal. Record that weight. A free weight trending app would be a useful place to record. (Happy Scale for Apple iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight with a free Fitbit account (don't need a device), Weightgrapher, others). The day to day weight fluctuations (water, digestive contents mostly) can be misleading. A trending app isn't magically insightful, but it can be a help, in sorting out progress from random stuff.

I'd suggest that you also tape-measure some key points, maybe once a month (same point in cycle!). The first time, make it a point to think how you can best be sure you're putting the tape at the exact same place, and level, every time. If you can, take some photos: Front, side, back, slim-fit but not compressive clothing or something like a bathing suit. (Don't do undies. Trust me, you'll want to be proudly showing off your "before" once you reach that "after". MFP has a "no undies in photos" rule.)

If you literally have seen no new low-point weight** in 6 weeks (or 1-2 full menstrual cycles), I'd urge you to come back here, provide details, ideally open up your diary so the MFP old hands can take a look, and answer questions folks might have. Depending on details, it may make sense to increase calories, decrease calories, do some of the estimates differently, or something else.

** You will be asked what "no loss" means to you, if it comes to that. Sometimes people show up here, post "I'm not losing", and it turns out that they lost slower than expected, maybe even a pound a week, but that felt like "no loss" to them because they were trying really hard . . . so we tend to ask. 😉

The Community folks (me included) can sometimes be confused, repetitive, misunderstand, communicate unclearly in writing, and generally be fallibly human. Still, please know that many people here would truly like to see you succeed, want to help you, because weight management success has been so very powerful in their own lives. That's absolutely true for me. We will do our (imperfect) best to help you.

Really: Trust the process, follow the process, try to be calm, see what happens. If you don't get the results you reasonably hope for, we will try to help you figure it out, try a variation, see how that works for you. If you keep going, keep experimenting, adjust based on results, you can succeed at this.

Best wishes!

I didn't loose any weight this weekend. :(
    Yesterday, I was 190, and today i'm 191.4.
    BUT, sometimes when I come home, (last weekend) I weighed 191 in the morning and then weighed 189, in the afternoon. Am I in a plateu? What should I do?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options

Best wishes!

BUT, sometimes when I come home, (last weekend) I weighed 191 in the morning and then weighed 189, in the afternoon. Am I in a plateu? What should I do?

Nope, not likely a plateau. You're just experiencing normal fluctuations.

Since around mid-month March, I've been anything from 125.8 pounds to 130.8 pounds, and that's just weigh-ins first thing in the morning under consistent conditions, for someone who's maintaining weight, not trying to lose or gain. It wasn't one extreme at the start, and the other at the end, either, those are just the high and low points randomly mixed in there somewhere.

This is the stuff that healthy bodies do. It's no big deal. It's not fat changes, it's water and digestive contents, primarily.

My swings would be even more extreme if I weighed at other times of day. Think about it: A pint of water - 2 cups - weighs roughly a pound, and it weighs that much whether it's in glass or in my stomach/bladder. When it's in my body, it's part of my scale weight. When I urinate or sweat it out, it's not part of my scale weight anymore. Ditto for food. That stuff changes by multiple pounds throughout Every. Single. Day.

Did you read this article yet? If not, please do!

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

What should you do? Hang in there, stick to a reasonable routine, see what happens over multiple weeks, whole menstrual cycles. Try to avoid stressing about it . . . stress can increase water retention, and it feels icky, besides.

It's going to be fine. Stick this out until you can compare your body weight at the same relative point in at least 2 different menstrual cycles, or 4-6 weeks if you don't have cycles. Then, if there's no change, you might need to change something. Until then, try not to stress about it.
  • faithdwind
    Options

Best wishes!

Since around mid-month March, I've been anything from 125.8 pounds to 130.8 pounds, and that's just weigh-ins first thing in the morning under consistent conditions, for someone who's maintaining weight, not trying to lose or gain. It wasn't one extreme at the start, and the other at the end, either, those are just the high and low points randomly mixed in there somewhere.

This is the stuff that healthy bodies do. It's no big deal. It's not fat changes, it's water and digestive contents, primarily.

My swings would be even more extreme if I weighed at other times of day. Think about it: A pint of water - 2 cups - weighs roughly a pound, and it weighs that much whether it's in glass or in my stomach/bladder. When it's in my body, it's part of my scale weight. When I urinate or sweat it out, it's not part of my scale weight anymore. Ditto for food. That stuff changes by multiple pounds throughout Every. Single. Day.

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

What should you do? Hang in there, stick to a reasonable routine, see what happens over multiple weeks, whole menstrual cycles. Try to avoid stressing about it . . . stress can increase water retention, and it feels icky, besides.

It's going to be fine. Stick this out until you can compare your body weight at the same relative point in at least 2 different menstrual cycles, or 4-6 weeks if you don't have cycles. Then, if there's no change, you might need to change something. Until then, try not to stress about it.

Okay, thank you! I'm thinking about just zig zagging diet for a week or two- I'm getting tired of staying in the same calorie deficit- I ate 1530 calories yesterday. Also- I just gotten my period today. Could that be a reason I didn't loose on 1300 calories?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options

Best wishes!

Okay, thank you! I'm thinking about just zig zagging diet for a week or two- I'm getting tired of staying in the same calorie deficit- I ate 1530 calories yesterday. Also- I just gotten my period today. Could that be a reason I didn't loose on 1300 calories?

Hun, I know you desperately want to lose weight. But please, Please read what AnnP has been writing to you, and then read it again, and then the link she posted. Yes, it's likely you would have gained water weight from getting your menstruation. Most women do. And yes, water has a weight, the amount of food in your digestive tract has a weight. And neither is bodyfat. But both influence the weight on the scale thought and might mask fat loss.
  • faithdwind
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Best wishes!

Hun, I know you desperately want to lose weight. But please, Please read what AnnP has been writing to you, and then read it again, and then the link she posted. Yes, it's likely you would have gained water weight from getting your menstruation. Most women do. And yes, water has a weight, the amount of food in your digestive tract has a weight. And neither is bodyfat. But both influence the weight on the scale thought and might mask fat loss.

So, should I try eating 1300 calories for a few more weeks?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options

Best wishes!

What's your alternative? Giving up? yes, eat 1300 calories, and make sure you're weighing your food carefully.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • faithdwind
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Done!
  • faithdwind
    Options

Best wishes!

What's your alternative? Giving up? yes, eat 1300 calories, and make sure you're weighing your food carefully.

Okay, thanks! :D

BTW, when I weigh my food, It would exactly be at the serving I'm getting. But when I come back/shift it on the scale to make sure It is exactly the amount I'm getting, It shifts like 1-2 grams over or 1-3 grams under. Does it matter, If it does that? Can I still eat it or would you make sure its EXACTLY on (for example) 40g instead of 41-42g .