Restarting this journey... again

Options
mjinpgh
mjinpgh Posts: 17 Member
This isn't my first rodeo. I've been down this road a few times already. Losing weight. Something happens and I stopped doing the things. Then all the weight comes back and of course plus some.

So here I am again. Over forty, over 250lbs, and over it! I recently lost my mother and Although she was my role model in countless ways, the way she took care of her health was not one of them. She battled her weight her entire life as well and I don't want to continue down that same road. I Can't. I have to make a change. I have to try again.

So if anyone wants to join me on this Road Again, feel free to send a friend request. I'm looking to grow my accountability community.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome back!

You mention having tried for weight loss before . . . what was your experience then, that might help you identify some more workable or sustainable approaches this time around? For me, trying things and learning from the failed experiments has been pretty helpful, when it came to finding a better path. But those experiences, lessons, strategies tend to be quite individual.

Wishing your permanent success, this time around!
  • mjinpgh
    Options
    I am most successful when I track my food and go to an actual gym. I need the visual accountability of what I am eating. It makes it harder to mindlessly eat.

Also I can't do things at home. I was no good at online college, I feel unproductive with remote work, and forget exercising at home! So I joined Planet Fitness again and have been going a few times a week.

My downfall is always when something happens and I can't get to the gym for a while or I have a few too many *cheat* days and give up.

My goal now is to fight through those days.
  • shirleysutton
    shirleysutton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 77 and still starting again. My down fall is the evening cocktails.
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am in a similar boat. I was 331 at my highest weight; I'm 290 now. Got down to 230 at some point but ended up regaining most of it. Would love to be your accountability buddy!
  • mjinpgh
    Options
    Kiyomoo, absolutely! That's what I love about MFP. Having people on the same path.

Shirleysutton, not gonna lie. That's a weakness here too. Hahah.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    YES! I feel like I am successful then I self sabotage. I do so good, spend months losing weight, then just stop. Then I spend the next 6 months kicking my own butt about it and not feeling like I can start all over. But I'm here now I need to do this. I have so much life left and I will not spend it uncomfortable in my own skin.
  • Goodfelines
    Goodfelines Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been there! My weight was a yo-yo until 2016 when I finally lost about 200lbs. But then life happened - babies, COVID, my health. Now I'm back up and looking to lose 100lbs again.