Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Worst exercise ever!

claireychn074
claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
We all have our own likes and dislikes, and I know a lot of people hate burpees (personally I’m fine with them). But there is one exercise which I hate with a passion - even though I know it’s good for me - and that’s Bulgarian Split Squats. They are evil and I dare anyone to find something worse!

Replies

• I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    For "worst" I'd differentiate most challenging (for me), usually being weaknesses needing work, from just bad, of little or no use or where risk exceeds reward. Lunges and other unilaterals needing balance are tough for me but worthy challenges. "Good mornings" are in my risk bucket (deadlifts are enough), and I've recently seen video of neck training I'd avoid.
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 815 Member
    I think I just do them wrong, but my vote is for deadlifts. I’ve had lower back pain for most of my adult life and I find that when my form breaks down after one or two, I rely heavily on my lower back. Thankfully I haven’t injured myself doing them, so now I just stay away.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    My coach just programmed pistol squats into my plan. Ugh. I'm not coordinated enough for them!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I think I just do them wrong, but my vote is for deadlifts. I’ve had lower back pain for most of my adult life and I find that when my form breaks down after one or two, I rely heavily on my lower back. Thankfully I haven’t injured myself doing them, so now I just stay away.

This makes me so sad. Deadlifts are the BEST!!!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    I2k4 wrote: »
    For "worst" I'd differentiate most challenging (for me), usually being weaknesses needing work, from just bad, of little or no use or where risk exceeds reward. Lunges and other unilaterals needing balance are tough for me but worthy challenges. "Good mornings" are in my risk bucket (deadlifts are enough), and I've recently seen video of neck training I'd avoid.

Same, due to inner ear/eustachian tube issues I have no balance. Every now and then I attempt some sort of lungey maneuver thing and promptly topple over.

I'll agree that split squats are pure evil. I tried them out after a recommendation from one of my favourite lifting ladies on here and was struggling to get up the basement stairs with my jello legs after that little experiment.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    I am actually partial to split squats and Bulgarian split squats in particular. I have structural issues with my feet and can't do proper lunges without excruciating pain in my back foot, so they are my substitute.

I am not a fan of burpees or stationary bikes.
  • I2k4
    My coach just programmed pistol squats into my plan. Ugh. I'm not coordinated enough for them!

I don't plan to ever do them unassisted, but have been progressing with a hand on a supportive gym bar or chair back at home - started with a knee tuck but am getting the foot out, and using the weaker left leg to set the rep count. On my good list.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I2k4 wrote: »

I don't plan to ever do them unassisted, but have been progressing with a hand on a supportive gym bar or chair back at home - started with a knee tuck but am getting the foot out, and using the weaker left leg to set the rep count. On my good list.

I actually bought a knock off version of the Total Gym. I have a pretty extensive home gym but I like it for mostly 3 things -- assisted pullups, cable flies for chest and assisted Pistol Squats. This one (its the Weider one) has like four bands you can hook up to the bench for resistance and a foot platform. I have a really dodgy right knee and could never do a Pistol Squat at my age any more (I'm 57), but with this equipment, I get a very similar one leg movement and it feels safe for my knee.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I just started a new Oly program. Oly lifting is super fun...it was what I was primarily doing in 2015-2016 and where I was the happiest with my physique...very balanced and athletic with a very strong core. I also did it in high school as a track and field sprinter and jumper.

I do not particularly enjoy traditional weight training as I just find it boring and unfortunately some of that gets programmed into the Oly program as supplemental work after my Oly work...fortunately it IS supplemental and not a huge component of the programming. I can clean & Jerk and snatch all day, I'm just not really into the more static lifting like deadlifts, squats, bench, etc.
  • I2k4
    edited April 2022
    ,,,I have a really dodgy right knee and could never do a Pistol Squat at my age any more (I'm 57), but with this equipment, I get a very similar one leg movement and it feels safe for my knee.

I'm a bit older yet - from a knee five years ago I wouldn't have tried any squats, but some conditions are worse than others - in my case common patellar tendonitis (pain started while running, degenerated to nearly all the time) was very treatable with hip and ankle mobility and strength exercises - the kneecap rides a bone railroad track and gets pulled off-track and inflammatory by attached muscles in more flexible joints - rehab exercise is worth some research if and only if it applies. (Sad tendency of some medical practitioners to counsel avoiding or medicating rather than fixing the fixable.)

Wolfman, my father was an olympic lifter out of the pre-War Vienna gyms that later gave rise to Arnold, and through high school all I did at home was press, C&J and snatch with a set of Weider's Champion chrome revolving sleeve bells - still have them, probably "collector" items. To me olympic lifts and compound power lifts are very skilled, more "sports" than training, but a lot to like.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    OMG Oly lifters yayyy! I rarely get to hear from other Oly lifters 😀 not many of us about!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Everythy involving lufting up arm or leg to the front due to inborn muscle problems there. Worst is probably Turkish getup. I love the complex movement, i could easily do heavier weight on nearly all muscles if it wasn’t for the arm holding the weight that simply gives up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited April 2022
    OMG Oly lifters yayyy! I rarely get to hear from other Oly lifters 😀 not many of us about!

True that! I'm glad more gyms are allowing it and investing in the proper equipment. The gym I was working out at a few years ago allowed and encouraged Oly lifting. My friend and his wife are the owners and they are also trainers and always included Oly lifts in their programming with their clients...young to old. Unfortunately, as a small independent studio gym, it was rather pricey even with the "best bud" discount and was also a bit inconvenient commute wise.

I had to leave and join another gym...who ironically had Oly racks and platforms and barbells and bumper plates, but didn't allow Oly lifting. Weird. I recently joined another gym that was just constructed in 2021 and is right around the corner from my office. When I did my initial membership walk-through I noticed that an entire area of the gym was dedicated to that equipment as well as kettle bells, sleds, sandbags, etc. I asked the lady giving me the tour if Oly lifting was actually allowed or if everything was just for show and she said, "of course"..."that's why we have this entire area set aside"

It's been great! And having an isolated area keeps other members more or less happy as they can't really hear the weights being dropped since it's on the other side of the gym from the main free weight area. It's never particularly busy in that area since it's mostly Oly lifters and power lifters and we are few and far between...a few crossfit crossovers too.

They also have an outdoor area with a couple of racks and platforms which is great in the spring and fall...the only downside is that you have to pull all of the plates and any other equipment you want to use out of the shed and put it back. I mostly just use the sled out there.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited April 2022
    I don't like lunges or barbell squats. I prefer step ups on a bench, hack squats and dumbbell deadlifts.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    In my experience, the exercises I hate tend to be because the muscles used are weak, and therefore that exercise needs to be done MORE of in order to get stronger. At one time I despised squats; now they are an old friend. As a kid I loved to run; when I got out of shape I loathed it; now, back in shape, it's neutral.

I'd probably say the exercise I am closest to hating is swimming. Specifically, any stroke which requires me to submerge my face. I'm not scared of the water, and am capable of swimming from a boat to shore if needed. But something about not being able to breathe anytime I want to...that bothers me to no end. Likely my claustrophobia kicking in just a smidge.

I used to dislike swimming. There's a number of reasons. I enjoy it now. There's a number of reasons.

I am also a SCUBA diver. I started incorporating a mask and snorkel into my swimming for freestyle. Shoving that flat glass through the water for sure slows me down, but my breathing isn't affected by the speed of my stroke. Not only that, one thing I really like about it is when I put my face in the water for my first stroke, it doesn't come out of the water until after my last stroke. Other than occasionally seeing someone swim by in the other lane, I'm isolated from distractions on the surface. I went from thinking it was SO BORING to watching that same black line go by again and again and again to really enjoying that black line as my only friend during some alone time away from most of the rest of the Universe.
  • texastapdancer
    texastapdancer Posts: 20 Member
    Burpees. I don't know why but I hate them. 🤣
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Running is terrible
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Running is terrible

I chuckle when I see anyone using running as exercise UNLESS training for it as a sport or LOVES to run for some strange reason- few people even know PROPER form for running. That's why many runners later in life experience severe joint/bone issues, muscle imbalance, etc. I definitely don't need to run to stay lean LOL
  • amn0619
    amn0619 Posts: 211 Member
    Mountain climbers. What is the point? Hate them!