Name one weight loss tip that worked for you besides tracking

Options

Replies

• sikorski
    sikorski Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1. Mindful eating. I remember to savour every (tiny) bite. It takes me longer to eat, and that gives me time to feel full when I've finished what I intended to eat for that meal. Also it's a lot more enjoyable than eating in a hurry.
    2. Doing a weights routine regularly. I only have 5-pound hand weights, but doing weights about 3 times a week has given me faster metabolism and shapely arms for the first time in my life.
    3. Eliminating aerobics. I used to do this 6 times a week, but it didn't help me lose weight. I'm sure it was good for my bones and heart, but it hurt my knees, so I stopped doing it. I listen to my body. Usually it wants weights, yoga, or Barre.
  • bgorman65
    bgorman65 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For me success comes with a high-protein, high fiber diet; at my height, gender and age I was told I could have a max of 120 g protein per day, so I go with 100-120 grams and rarely miss it. For me, that means eating 4-5 meals per day and that works out because I LOVE to eat and would graze continually if I didn't have a meal every few hours. I'm also walking 10,000 steps (about 5 miles) or more per day (finally) and find the weight comes off more quickly when I get those miles in, especially when I focus on walking fast enough for cardio benefits (at least 65% of 220-age).
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bgorman65 wrote: »
    For me success comes with a high-protein, high fiber diet; at my height, gender and age I was told I could have a max of 120 g protein per day, so I go with 100-120 grams and rarely miss it. For me, that means eating 4-5 meals per day and that works out because I LOVE to eat and would graze continually if I didn't have a meal every few hours. I'm also walking 10,000 steps (about 5 miles) or more per day (finally) and find the weight comes off more quickly when I get those miles in, especially when I focus on walking fast enough for cardio benefits (at least 65% of 220-age).

I don't track protein really, but I'm like you in that I eat continuously throughout the day. Breakfast, lunch, snack, snack, dinner! Sometimes I eat part of my lunch an hour before lunch! I also find that walking, strolling even, helps so much to see the weight come off. I am 5' 2.5" 52 year old female, 125 lbs now.
  • Maxima0388
    Maxima0388 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shape Reclaimed through my Chiropractor, along with Yoga by Adriene and MFP. Being mindful for 9 months lost 10 lb-15lbs but it took movement, dedication, Homeopathic therapy, clean eating, and checking in with my doctor to succeed to 33 lbs. on this journey.
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Meal planning is key to me. I plan meals for the entire week in advance before I shop for groceries.
  • huskers0079
    huskers0079 Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Aside from pre-logging my food for the day in the morning, the strategies that worked for me were mostly related to tricking my self into thinking I was full by eating high volume, low calorie foods either for, or with my main meals. For example, for breakfast I make either a large protein shake (with frozen strawberries, protein, almond milk) or a large egg white omelette. For dinner having a large salad, no dressing (use salsa and Taijin for a low calorie alternative) before dinner. Also, I suck at drinking water, but I love Mio, so drinking 24 oz of water before a meal really helps stop me from grabbing a second plate.

Also, when I was losing, I always budgeted for a big night time snack to reward myself for staying under my calorie goal. I know they say not to eat after dinner, but I look forward to my giant bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and Splenda every day :). It was sort of like positive reinforcement for me, so if I was close to my calories for the day already I get sad that I can't have my night snack 😋
  • mbherrly
    mbherrly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's been mentioned but the biggest tip is to find what works best for you and STICK WITH IT! It's a journey, not a sprint. There are no quick fixes - sometimes you have good days and sometimes you eat your weight in chocolate (ha, ha).

Personally I only eat 3 meals per day and try not to eat/drink anything after 7 pm. I eat the EXACT same thing every day for breakfast and lunch, just varying the dinner meal. This really helps me stay consistent, though I realize it might get boring for some. Calories are still king so I manage to stay within 100-200 calories of my goal each day. I exercise 5 days per week which consists of 4 days of strength training (weights) and 1 day of cardio. My cardio each week is only 45 min cycling class. I found that DECREASING the amount of cardio I was doing was the ticket for me! I don't enjoy cardio and the shorter bursts of intensity that come with cycling class are all that I need.

I've lost 50+ lbs using these tips and have managed to keep it off for almost 7 yrs now.
  • JCisthewaytruthlife
    JCisthewaytruthlife Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    JustRamona wrote: »
    looking for reduced the calorie of everything I eat. Yes, have the bread-but the 40 calorie/slice. Yes have the mayo-but light mayo. yes have the salad dressing--choose fat free. yes have the xxxxxxxxx saves hundreds of calories per day

This!
    I found this has helped immensely! Coffee creamers, cheese, meats, choose the lower fat content for each of these and you will have a lot less calories over all!
    And not drinking my calories.
    I also found that I need at least 20g of protein at each meal in order for me not to over eat.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Just like taking a bath, brushing your teeth, etc etc… exercise and controlling your intake should be items to add to those daily routines.

Do it as a sustainable lifestyle for your life..

Fad dieting may help you get to a #, but if its for that reason you subscribe to it well most folks go back to old habit as soon as # is achieved. I’ve seen many folks drop weight on liquid, keto etc etc. and within a year they’re back to old habits, not tracking, skipping WOs. I truly believe that exercise and nourishment go hand in hand. Do what works for you.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Not eating breakfast on weekdays, just coffee.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    1) planning snacks to keep in my desk at work, rather than relying on the vending machine
    2) building activity into my life (getting off the subway a stop earlier in the morning, walking to a further stop in the evening, taking the stairs instead of elevators, walking up escalators, parking further away from the entrance when running errands) so that I didn't have to carve out blocks of time to increase my activity level
    3) finding activities I enjoyed doing so that I would carve out blocks of time for them -- starting out, it was as simple as turning up the music and dancing around my living room.

ETA
    4) focused more on the good things (protein, fiber, more veggies) that I wanted more of in my diet, rather than worrying about "bad" things that I wanted to reduce in my diet.

On the intake side, I thing logging was the major thing that made the difference for me, so I had a hard time coming up non-logging food tips.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Over the years, BESIDES tracking, these are the things that have helped the most, and led to the most success I've had at various times in order of most to least effective:

1. Eating low(er) carb (below 100g net carbs/day) and higher protein/fats - this was effective more than anything else below due to the simple fact that I was pretty well satiated on it. Not being hungry all the time was huge! In fact, many days I was having to "force" myself to eat my full calorie allotment, NOT something any other diet set up has resulted in. ISSUES were it made eating out more complicated, and many quick foods tend to be pretty high carb, so that was also an issue. It was also a fairly expensive way to eat.
    2. Cutting back on liquid calories, especially in the form of soda which I effectively eliminated after figuring out my "trigger" (which was bubbles - so any fizzy water, no sweetener has killed that urge).
    3. Exercise - regular exercise helps with my diet - motivates me to stay more on my diet than I want to when I'm not working out.
    4. Planning ahead (I'm bad about this one though).
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    1. Drinking water first before grabbing food.

2. Greatly limit snacking while watching TV. And not snacking at all if I'm not hungry. Even if the snack is a healthy one.
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Distinguishing actual hunger from a craving. If you are eating your calories and macros for the day, the feeling you get at night is NOT hunger. It is a craving. Get past it.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    1) IF as a lifestyle 2) Cut out the snacking, it spikes my insulin creating weight loss resistance. I eat two meals a day 3) Daily refection on food & macro/micro intake as well as recording weight daily, Inspires and makes me aware of what creates success 4) Eating nutrient dense food that fuels my brain as well as my body - fresh produce is critical for health and energy level 5) Increase deep sleep 6) HIIT daily...we all know that it takes 3500 deficit to lose a pound. You can walk 5 miles a day for 7 days to lose one pound or do a quick HIIT session to raise your metabolism.... 7) Only eat food that I enjoy within my parameters 8) Incorporate stress relieving strategies 9) Patience...transformation is a lifetime goal.

Each of us is different. Your journey will reveal what is right for you. I love my lifestyle and it works for me.