Options
Whats the average minutes per mile...

I run 6:50

Opinions please...

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    there is no average, you just do what you do...if you want to compare yourself to someone run a race.
  • AngieMcHenry
    AngieMcHenry Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am slow. I usually run between 10 and 11 minute miles. Except during races when I can get a little faster....between 8 and 9 minutes.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    WOW!! You are fast!!

Mine barely qualifies as running... I walk fast to warm up, then run in bursts, walking again to recover. I average a horrible 13 minute mile, but my bursts top out at just under 10 minute miles. The bursts are getting longer and faster and recovery periods shorter. I'll be there someday.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Whats the average minutes per mile...

I run 6:50

Opinions please...

immediatly after a 12 mile bike ride, i can run a 10 minute mile. lulz. but i also go for about 5 miles. if you can run a 7 minute mile, great!! but can you sustain it for long?? try going for distance as often as you go for speed. and try hills (or inclines if you are running on a treadmill), and try picking a point a 100 yards away and sprinting it out, and then jogging until your heart rate recovers.
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Fantastic time.... was it just the one time or is that your regular run time!!! Wow that's really, really fast especially for a woman!! Have you been running for a long time or was someone chasing ya?? LOL... I have a close friend that I work with who has been running for a long time I think about 25 years... He use to do triathlons. Now he just runs.... I always joke with him because he is up at 4 a.m and hits the ground at 5 a.m. when I'm getting up. He told me that the average male who is in good physical shape and conditioned can average a mile in 6 - 7 minutes. A woman who is in good physical shape its usually 7 - 8 minutes. Usually the difference is because a man's stride is longer even though he does know some seasoned woman that give the men a run for their money!!! LOL The world record time for a mile is 3 minutes and 43 seconds.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    While that pace may be possible, it's highly unlikely for someone of your size. No offense meant, just being realistic.

For a beginner runner who is heavy (which I advise against for joint health), I've seen ranges from 12-15 minute miles.

When I started running again (at a weight in the healthy range), I started at about 10-11 minute miles. It took all summer to get down to 8:30 miles. Or, if I only run one mile I can complete it in just under 8 minutes.

When I ran cross country in high school, us 15 year old boys could do 7 minute miles.

My opinion is that you're not measuring properly.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    It varys. I usually hit around 7:30-8. I am in this competition so I pushed myself to my limits. Ive been running for a long time. Even heavy in high school I averaged around the same 7:30-8.

Anything is POSSIBLE if you put your mind to it and push your body to achieve the goals you want too.
  • kendratiger20
    Options
    Ok In your TBL picture it says that "you want to be active without being winded". A person with a run time of 6:50 would have to be in phenomenal shape. Unless you are incredibly tall and have a large muscle mass ( The reason for you being 245) I just don't see how that's possible. I know professional runners who are in great shape who can't even run that... Try timing yourself again I think your watch may be broken. :wink:
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    If I am running steady for 50 mins I can get 9 miles down. But that is a break down in total. When running just 1 mile giving it my all I run an 8 min 11 second mile. Your timing is puzzling to me.
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    If I am running steady for 50 mins I can get 9 miles down. But that is a break down in total. When running just 1 mile giving it my all I run an 8 min 11 second mile. Your timing is puzzling to me.
    Also that means you are running @ 9 mph......
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    hmm you sure you don't mean you run 6.5 miles per hour?
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i can run a 6:30 minute mile for 4 miles. the longer i run, the slower i am (10 minute mile for 9 miles). sometimes, i am a super slow turtle - a 5k this weekend took me 48 minutes. (most people can WALK faster than that!)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    The world record time for a mile is 3 minutes and 43 seconds.

i can't even imagine running that fast! wow!
  • techymum
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k and did it in 42 minutes. I have never been so proud of myself, or felt the wonderful feeling of accomplishment like I did after that.

They are all just numbers to me, and I think anyone who takes up running in any way, shape or form has already accomplished so much :-)
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Do you mean minutes per MILE or minutes per KM??

I only ask as, having just looked at my Runkeeper app for the run I did yesterday, my average pace PER KM over 6.75km was about the 6:50 mark - but per MILE it's about 10:20. Big difference.... :smile:

Edit: never mind - have just seen the additional comments in the thread!
  • joehempel
    Options
    Okay, I've read the thread, and looked at the profile, and I call a big giant BULL SH***T.

I started running in May of this year at 220lbs. I could run a mile in 13-14 minutes.

A couple months later I could run for 4-5 miles straight at like 12 minutes, did a 10k "conquer the hills" in 75 minutes.

Saturday I did a 3.6 mile trail race, did it in 32:39, that's a 9:02 pace

Today for my Half-Marathon Training in October I did 9 miles in 1:26:17, that's a 9:30 mile.

You're 220lbs right now and doing a 6:50 mile???? I don't think so.

I'm 177 right now and haven't hit the 7 minute mark yet.
  • akrzyzewski
    akrzyzewski Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow Joe hempel, that's a really mean!! You couldn't have phrased it nicer?!?
  • joehempel
    Options
    Nope.
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    Nope.

I think his post was worded nicely. He is speaking the truth. sometimes the truth hurts!
  • kendratiger20
    Options
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ..... :drinker: He calls em as he sees em... Nice!