Anyone else shrinking in secret??

Options

Replies

• Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    He`ll notice eventually and I won`t always "hide" it. I just want to get going and serious first.

Some may not agree, but when I have the strength to only eat half, or throw away something that I consider a weakness, I feel like it gives me more power. Like I have conquored something.

The only meal we all eat together is dinner, and we still all eat the same thing. A reletively healthy, well-rounded, dinner. If its something a little more calorie heavy, I either exercise more, or take a smaller portion.

Yesterday was a challange... (with the chocolate milk and the bar), but I got through it and I feel great. He doesn't usually bring home goodies for us, I guess when he was picking up the milk and salad I asked for they were both on crazy cheap.
  • Jeliica
    Options
    I'm shrinking in secret as well. Only my parents know what I'm doing or what I've done. I find that my family is to negative. They constantly watch what I eat and then they are down my back on why would I eat that, blah blah blah. My mom is being really supportive and dieting with me and cooking really good foods. I love doing it in secret though, I lost 20pds and my family are like wow you look amazing everytime I see them for an event. I can't wait to lose more and shock them!! hehe
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Options
    I started I only told a few people. My BFF bc she was my roommate then and my kids. I think just one other friend new. I didn't want to fail again and have everyone know I failed. But I didny fail and now everyone knows lol
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Haven't told anyone either... I enjoy the looks on peoples faces at the work arena, when they are trying to figure out what is different about me. LOOOOVE it!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're a bad person or anything. Do what works for you, by all means! It's just the exercising in secret that stuck out at me because it can be so hard to motivate yourself to work out anyway; having to wait around til someone isn't home just puts up one more obstacle.

I understand how you feel though, whether it's because he's negative or because you want to surprise someone! Personally i don't go around telling everyone because then you feel criticized, but then I don't go to extreme lengths to hide it either. I just do my thang and am pretty much left alone.
  • sixxx
    sixxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have told my dh & some friends but the rest I see why I would tell them. My dh is the best he gets the crisps, chocolate bars etc that I have never liked lol. I had a lovely comment from a neighbour yesterday, tiu have lost weight she said.
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Sorry double post
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I kinda understand where your coming from...I live far from my hometown and dont see my family very often(maybe 3 times a yr)..so I have not talked about my diet and exercise..for the same reason as you, tried many times and failed..I have been obese for half my life now..and when I get together with my family EVERYONE always has a comment on how thin I was before..(140 lbs).
    So this time it REALLY is different..this is the only time that I have exercised with my diet since I have been overweight..and I must say I am hooked on exercising...so far I have lost 11 lbs in 3 weeks and I love love the feeling...hope to go back home this Christmas and see the look on everyones face....this site is a WONDERFUL find....
  • CMR12
    Options
    I kinda am. My boyfriend kinda knows, he says I look good no matter what (awwe =D ) but I'm still going for it. I haven't really told my family because I've always asked them to buy healthier food with me or ask them if I could borrow the TV to exercise in the past, and they always would get mad at me. So I'm doing it in "secret" now because I just don't want to deal with the constant questions and constant (nasty) comments my family sometimes gives me. Besides my boyfriend, I don't really have a positive person to go to while I'm trying to diet so I'm kinda on my own and keeping it quiet until they decide to change as well.
  • Megan2Project
    Options
    Yeah, I don't need anyone judging me... Maybe its just where I live, but most women who I tell around here tend to sabotage, or question, or try to get you to do it their way, or whatever, so I'm just gonna do my thing, with my friend, and see how it turns out.

My hubby will be supportive... but he hears about it (usually) 24/7. So he might appreciate the break.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it matters if you've told him or not, but there is nothing wrong, esp. if you own a child care center, to have a discussion about using food as treats. Chocolate milk is not allowed in many local schools due to its high calorie content (and this is in Wisconsin where milk is revered!). One of my sisters (in her 60s) had to lose weight after surgery and was stunned to learn how many calories were in that tasty chocolate milk she'd been drinking to help get her calcium requirements. I remember decades ago when I was a kid, fresh fruit was a huge treat but so was the cherry in the fruit cocktaill My daughters (now in their 20s) went to a day care where fresh fruit was served daily and no canned fruits or vegetables were served. Not surprisingly, they don't consider canned fruit a treat (or a fruit for that matter).

Bottom line, it doesn't really matter if you doing this in secret, announced to the world, took out an ad, etc., it's your choice to lose weight and you're doing it for yourself. But you can send a message to your family about healthy eating outside of the context of "dieting."
  • KikuLogan
    KikuLogan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Good for you but why keep it from him? I also have two kids under the age of 3 and I've found that having my husband's support helps me to keep on track with my workouts. I'm down 40lbs on WW and just joined MFP to take off the last 10 (15? Maybe? LOL).
  • jedi9393
    Options
    I'm not trying to be judgemental, but since the OP created this post I assume she is either asking for opinions or validation. Why else start this thread?

As for me. I havent told me co-workers cause I'm not close with any of them and I dont give a flip about their opinions anyway. I recently had lapband surgery and only my husband, niece, and in laws know. I didnt want to worry most of my family. I know they would worry, plus they all live outta state. as For everyone else if they ask I will tell. Anytime I am on a diet or anything I let people know. I dont really undersstand y people stress over other peoples opinions of what they do with their bodies. They talk all they want, I dont care. I guess it's just me.

As for the hubby, if my husband didnt support me in trying to get healthier then he wouldnt be my husband. Period!! My husband is my biggest cheerleader and best friend. I couldnt imagine not sharing with him. If he was a jerk and brought me down then adios. I dont need that kinda husband and father. I do enough of that to myself.

We have a son and I dont let him eat processed junk. If my husband could eat that crap he would, but due to health issues he is on a strict low sodium diet. But before he ate whatever and that was ok for him, but not for me and our son. I bought healthy food and cooked. My hubby ate whatever I cooked. If he didnt like it, he could cook something else or go get some nasty fast food.
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm a private person and live outside the states so without my husband here, I can devote all my time to getting healthier without the judgement that always comes from one person or another. If it's not hurting anyone, why make the fuss?

Do what you NEED to do to make this work. People try things, realize it doesn't work, then try something else. Good for you to keep trying something, anything, instead of giving up! That's what its about.
  • Megan2Project
    Options
    I'm not trying to be judgemental, but since the OP created this post I assume she is either asking for opinions or validation. Why else start this thread?

I was (as the title said) looking for other people who may be doing the same thing.
  • purpleprose
    Options
    Here's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

The more people you tell about your attempt to lose weight/get fit, the more accountable you have to hold yourself. Try it, it works.

I completely agree - I made it impossible for myself NOT to lose the weight because I told everyone I'd ever met that I was going to run an 8-mile race in a few months and was going to lose weight. I actually learned about the concept in an organizational behavior class....it's proven that if you tell a LOT of people you're going to do something, you feel compelled to follow-through. It's human nature!
  • Biancalee76
    Options
    I told my husband, but not really anyone else. My family is not too supportive. My husband watched me count calories for a week or so, saw my energy increase due to healthier food, decided to get on board with me. Its great for us, because we have each other to commeriserate with when we get frustrated, and to remind each other that we don't need the whole Hershey bar, a few dark choc kisses is more that enough. He's not counting as seriously as I am, but he's getting a general idea of what he consumes a day. Between the two of us, we've lost around 25 lbs since Sept 9th. (me=15, him=10)
  • krik84
    krik84 Posts: 47
    Options

And also, what an utter waste of milk.

Pun intended?
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My best friend knows, my mum, my house mate and my partner. Oh and couple of work colleagues but that it is. I only tell these people so I can make better food choices and explain why I am not eating certain things.

To be honest, people just tell me, oh you are fine how you are. That is not what I want to hear. Or they think you are bragging so I just keep hush hush now. After losing nearly 7 stone in a few years a lot of people from my past notice but current friends have no clue so I tend to just want to keep the weight loss to myself as I can't really be bothered to talk to them about, especially as they don't want to hear that you have to eat less and work out more to lose it.