• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,028 Member
    May totals: 21.4/100 miles

3/2: 3.2 miles
    3/3: 6.6 miles
    3/4: 3.2 miles
    3/5: 3 miles
    3/7: 5.4 miles

My plan had an 8k race on the schedule for today. I planned to just run it in my neighborhood. As soon as I saw the weather I knew it wasn't happening. Mid 70s, 98% humidity. Brutal. I set out with a goal to run it faster than I would normally. Make it a workout even though I knew I couldn't hit a 10k race pace. Warmed up for about a half a mile then focused on building some speed. I managed a decent second and third miles before I had to slow it down. My HR was pretty high for the effort and I knew I couldn't maintain the faster pace. I wound through the neighborhood searching for sprinklers. Only found one and it was glorious!
    It was a hard run and the 10k I am scheduled for is probably not going to go well. I've had the thought of DNS the race, which I have never done. But by the time the race comes around I'm sure I'll just show up and run the 10k but will almost certainly not be close to a new PR.
  • martaindale
    @quilteryoyo Sorry your week was a bust. Hope next week goes better for you!

@katharmonic Your recommitment to running seems to be going well. It's great that you have a friend to do it with so you can hold each other accountable.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @quilteryoyo they were paragliders. No motors, they hiked up with everything in huge packs and took off from a spot next to where we stopped for a break.

Back to the 6-year old marathoner... I just read this article:
    https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://trib.al/TUqntXw&h=AT3NoJlEsDuXMF5InhOGKvN-I15IAbGWZpv2uKn9oXbWNknrhUAjehQHjXWfVkdLa0yiepTgXamokXGTkQ_InV4bfFAA9uVnIGf4eZy7NAHKeIiOBYWE07D6HKu4ajF9dA
    And this quote stood out to me:
    In an Instagram Story, a user claimed that “Campbell County CPS” had been notified, to which the Crawfords replied, “CPS has investigated us for doing much crazier things and deemed us safe parents for our kids.”
    I don't even know what to say about that. I don't think I'd be proud of multiple CPS investigations, LOL.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member
    @quilteryoyo they were paragliders. No motors, they hiked up with everything in huge packs and took off from a spot next to where we stopped for a break.

Back to the 6-year old marathoner... I just read this article:
    https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://trib.al/TUqntXw&h=AT3NoJlEsDuXMF5InhOGKvN-I15IAbGWZpv2uKn9oXbWNknrhUAjehQHjXWfVkdLa0yiepTgXamokXGTkQ_InV4bfFAA9uVnIGf4eZy7NAHKeIiOBYWE07D6HKu4ajF9dA
    And this quote stood out to me:
    In an Instagram Story, a user claimed that “Campbell County CPS” had been notified, to which the Crawfords replied, “CPS has investigated us for doing much crazier things and deemed us safe parents for our kids.”
    I don't even know what to say about that. I don't think I'd be proud of multiple CPS investigations, LOL.

I'm in the way too much, way too young camp.... BUT you never really know from the outside. Maybe they're raising the road version of the next Killian Jornet?

@quilteryoyo sorry you've had a bad week. I very much admire your willpower and commitment to keeping moving even in circumstances when most would just not bother, while also being wise enough not to overdo it.
    My Dad is doing well physically, and maybe 75% of the time he sounds his usual self. But then he'll tell me the same stuff every week for a month and get upset if I mention he already told me, confuse me with my half-sister or even ask if I know her... not sure how much is due to the tumour/surgery and how much is just age-related forgetfulness.

I got fed up with Garmeen the drama queen's battery dying after an hour and replaced her about a month ago. Garmeen II is another *kitten*... admittedly I started using her just before I ran 2 HMs in 15 days, so the runs she's been recording are far from normal, but she's very shouty about me not being productive and doing too much high intensity and yada yada yada. This morning she has decided to tell me I'm losing condition, so I'm going to have to drag myself out for a run now 🙄 That wasn't on the original plan, but turns out we get next Saturday off from self-defense so we're going to Tarifa for the weekend, so was going to move my runs forward a day anyway.

I remember a few years ago there was a guy in the uk who had a lot of mental health issues and decided to get over them but running pretty much naked. He would run races nude or in a thong, and all I could ever think was what about the chaffing?
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,049 Member
    Our weather was lovely this morning so didn't want to miss it as there's a lot of rain forecast for next week. The family that ran the marathon has even made it on to our media here with some calling it child abuse.

@quilteryoyo - Sorry to hear you've been sick, I did notice you hadn't been commenting like usual. I don't know where you get all your energy from, you do so much!

05/05 3.38 miles
    06/05 3.20 miles
    08/05 3.32 miles

9.90/30 miles
    exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,883 Member
    @katharmonic Yes. Check out the race. It would be cool if we could meet in real life there. I want to do this race because I worked on Cape Canaveral when I was in the AF and my late husband's family live about an hour from there, so I can visit with them while I am there. I agree that overcoming the "I'm too tired/stressed/don't have time" is really hard to overcome. That's why I concentrated on wunning last month. It seemed to help me get over that hump.

Thanks @martaindale At least you got out there and ran it. If you keep running in a hotter part of the day, hopefully it won't be as miserable as you are expecting and I doubt if anyone will get close to their PR when it is hot and humid. Maybe it's one of those races that you just go out and enjoy the day and the company of other runners and not worry about pace. I know that is easier said than done though.

@polskagirl01 I had to look up the difference between paragliders and hang gliders. Paragliding sounds like fun and a bit less dangerous. I'll try to read the article later, but I agree. I wouldn't brag about multiple CPS investigations.

Thanks @eleanorhawkins . I'm glad your dad is doing ok health wise. I'm sure you will be able to tell better what is going on with his memory once you see him in person. I hope you have a great visit. Hahaha about your Garmeen. Mine keeps telling me I am maintaining and then, earlier this week, when I didn't run for two days, it said I was peaking. What? Now I'm recovering. I guess that's okay. I mostly just ignore what she says and do my thing. Are you using one of the Garmin coaches or trying to do the daily workouts it suggests?

Thanks @Mari33a for your kind comment. You ladies help me see that I'm not the slug I sometimes feel that I am.

I haven't read about the family that did the marathon, but I must say when I first heard about it I was wondering, like @eleanorhawkins , if the kid was just some sort of prodigy, like Richard Sandrak (Little Hercules).
  • martaindale
    @eleanorhawkins Your watch sounds way bossier than mine. Maybe I have something turned off but mine doesn’t tell me if I am productive or not. It doesn’t comment one way or the other on my runs. I don’t spend a lot of time on the garmin app since i use strava so maybe I’m just not seeing that info. I think I would get annoyed at being told I was unproductive! :D
    Sounds like you have a good plan worked out for your races. I am also a fan of possibly over preparing rather than under preparing, so I would probably do a marathon plan even if the race was not quite a marathon distance.
  • martaindale
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @martaindale I feel you on the TX weather! It it going to be one hell of a summer. I commend you for racing this time of year! You are braver than I.
    I think foolhardy is the word you meant to use there! :D
    Scott6255 wrote: »

12 miles this morning. This marks the 1st day of shirtless running season. Damn it was hot and humid, but 75F and 85% humidity will sound good in another few weeks I'm afraid. I actually felt better today than I did the other day when it was in the 50s.

Honestly impressed you’ve made it this far before going shirtless! I had a couple of weeks where I felt awkward being shirtless last month and have moved on to not giving a #@$* already. It’s too hot to wear anything more than absolutely necessary!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member
    @eleanorhawkins Your watch sounds way bossier than mine. Maybe I have something turned off but mine doesn’t tell me if I am productive or not. It doesn’t comment one way or the other on my runs. I don’t spend a lot of time on the garmin app since i use strava so maybe I’m just not seeing that info. I think I would get annoyed at being told I was unproductive! :D
    Sounds like you have a good plan worked out for your races. I am also a fan of possibly over preparing rather than under preparing, so I would probably do a marathon plan even if the race was not quite a marathon distance.

My old 735xt didn't have the training status thing, which is what gives you the judgy comments, think it's something they brought in on newer models. I'm just laughing at it at the moment and waiting to see if it improves over time. But I've seen @garygse say his does the same and he's far from unproductive, so who knows?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    02.05: 3.20km in 26min 10 stride repeats
    04.05: 6.45km in 57mins
    06.05: 3.11km in 24min
    08.05: 4.00km in 31min

16.8/60km

Not sure if today went very well or not :D I wanted to run a bit longer and slower, but was apparently a bit restless and did the fastest 4km in ages. So no complaint. Something seems to have hit a switch in my body because suddenly I seem to be able to run a bit faster again.

@quilteryoyo no idea why the longer run went so wrong. I guess my body was just acting up, as it does sometimes. Shrugs. I'll certainly try the route again as I need to find longer running routes if I want to do other things than multiple circles.