Can bigger girls do the 30 Day Shred?

Options

Replies

• mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    That's BS. I weigh 212lb and I'm doing it. Sometimes I feel like I want to die, sure, but that has more to do with my fitness level than my weight.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Ummm...that guy is full of crap. I am a very large girl and love the 30DS. I've lost inches and pounds because Jillian makes you sweat hard core. Like everyone else has said, you may not see the results you want in 30 days, but you definitely see something! Go for it and prove the haters wrong. ;)
  • llbreell
    Options
    wow,, what a great supporter.

ANYONE can do it. Doesn't matter the size!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here's may take (not an expert)

The more weight you have to lose - the more you should focus on cardio. This does not mean wait until 10 pounds to go before doing any strength training. As you get closer to your goal, the more you should shift towards strength.

Strength tones up your muscle - but if it is covered in a layer of fat - no one will see it. 30DS is toning BUT there is a cardio vascular element as well. I would keep this workout as part of a rotation - meaning switch it up with additional cardio.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I honestly think 30DS is an awesome program for beginners and those with a lot of weight to lose. Great introduction to circuit training, and the modifications used are really good.
  • pammypk1
    pammypk1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you set your mind to!~
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! And you should! Over the summer I completed the 30DS and Ripped in 30. The only person that is allowed to tell you can't or shouldn't do some exercise is your doctor.

Yes smaller girls may see the toning definition sooner than bigger people. However, with the strength, cardio and abs mixed as it is, it will benefit all sizes.

Just Shred It!
  • losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    total malarky! I did it and I'm 5'6" and weigh 227. I noticed significant change in how my body looks. I wish I had done measurements to track my progress exactly, but honestly I was too scared of what the numbers would have been. But I know by how my clothes ft (wnet from an 18 to a 16!) and even by looking in them mirror I can see it. I took measurements when I was done which I am now goign to do monthly. As for the 30DS workout itself, I plan to take this month off from that workout and then do it again in October.

I'll b honest, it's hard. And I think being a bigger girl it was especially hard. Some moves I simply could not do. But it was very motivating! And honestly I could do a lot more of the moves than I thought I'd be able to do. Jsut try. and stick with it. If your body says no to a particular move (like the ab planks in circuit 2 which d@mn near killed me!) then susbstiute a lower impact move. But keep doing it! you will see a change! and you will get stronger every day! IT's an amazing and very empowering workout. Good luck!!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do it! I did it at 200lbs & saw results...I lost almost 10lbs & I didn't measure myself until halfway through(kicking myself for that) but I lost a couple inches on my waist & hips each & that was just the second half of 30DS.
  • Donna_T_B
    Donna_T_B Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Was it one of the bodybuilders.com guys that told you that?
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Bah i did it at 220! and i rocked it! :bigsmile:

AWESOME!
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and 198 pounds and I am on Day 7 of 30DS and I can do it! Don't listen to boys they have cooties :wink:

You can do it, anyone can do it!!! ROCK IT OUT GIRL!!!! YOU GOT THIS :bigsmile:
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Excuse the guy who said that. A work out is a work out. Obviously if you're bigger you're not going to see the same results as a thinner person because they started out thinner, but nothing about it says you can't do it. I started doing 30DS at 240 lbs and I saw plenty results. I am now 213 and I've only been working out for 2 3/4 months.
  • justine5587
    justine5587 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    it's impossible that you'll waste your time doing 30DS! Even if you're not looking perfectly fit after 30 days, your body will change. Doing 30 minutes of free weights and cardio , especially if you're not a really active person, will make you stronger , positive and motivated. For example, maybe the first day you won't be able to do any real push-ups, but by the end of the 30 days, you should be able to do some, maybe even follow all Jillian's exercises.
  • GabrielGil
    GabrielGil Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    im a man, on a plateau for a month, i started the 30DS to change my routine at 6'1" and 293, its been only a week and i already feel stronger i still weight 293 but body fat came down 2% and i feel great.

Botom line:

GET MOVING!! DONT GIVE UP!! =D
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Here's may take (not an expert)

The more weight you have to lose - the more you should focus on cardio. This does not mean wait until 10 pounds to go before doing any strength training. As you get closer to your goal, the more you should shift towards strength.

Strength tones up your muscle - but if it is covered in a layer of fat - no one will see it. 30DS is toning BUT there is a cardio vascular element as well. I would keep this workout as part of a rotation - meaning switch it up with additional cardio.

I'm not an expert either, but from my understanding, muscle helps burn fat. The more muscle you have, the more easily your body burns fat. So strength training combined with cardio is actually a really good method of weight loss.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    i wonder if he was just saying that you wouldnt see a 6 pack right away?

anyways, it's true you wont see toning the same as someone with a smaller goal would but that doesnt mean you'll have a harder time reaching good results. people with smaller goals mostly show toning, where as people with a larger goals show more weight loss. and from everyone on here that i've seen, the people with larger goals look the most different when they finish. not to say larger goals are better then the smaller ones, both offer amazing results, it differs from person to person.

good luck on the 30DS and dont forget to post your results :happy:
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" weighing approx. 185 wearing a size 16 and I'm doing it. The results will be nice (if I see any) but I'm doing this to get healthy and stronger!!!

Don't listen to crap like that!!!
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Do it! I have it and haven't done it for 30 days, but have done a few workouts. I had to buy a more supportive bra. The "girls" didn't like all the jumping jacks.
    You can do anything...and then report back to us and that naysayer. Psssh on him.
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ugh...He is not the right kind of motivation!!!
    I am a bigger girl, and I have the 30DS. I can absolutely see a difference with it.
    I am also not doing it every day. I alternate it with walks, bike rides, and yoga classes. Also I am not able to exercise every single day, so I use it even less than I am supposed to.
    It helps, I promise!
    I can tell that it has helped me with strength and endurance. Before I started working the 30DS into my workouts, I could not jog for more than about 30 seconds at a time. Not I can make it pretty much an entire mile before I have to catch my breath.
    If nothing else, it is just a good quick workout you can do in your spare time.
    In see nothing wrong with this!