Eat like a thin person and what else?

Options
GoRun2
GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
edited July 2022 in Motivation and Support
We all know weight loss is more than eat less. There is a psychological component to it.

I'm trying to eat like a thin person when at happy hours, pot lucks and buffets. Those are some of my challenges. I'm going to look around at the thin ladies to see what they eat and do that.

What do you do to help you keep your head in the game?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    For myself, these kinds of things are very much occasions rather than regular occurrences...actually I don't think I've been to a buffet in probably 15 or 20 years. We get together with friends for a cookout and swim party about once per month so I just enjoy that for what it is. I'm also pretty active so I don't really have to worry about eating like a birdie.
  • Philliesfan21
    Philliesfan21 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Move more - eat better! Not necessarily eat less. Get in your meat and some low carb veggies. For pot lucks, etc, you can bring your own food if you are worried about ingredients in foods. For buffets, etc. go towards meats of any kind. They are full of nutrients and will give you satiety, so you won't indulge in the less than healthy options.
  • Angiestewart1982
    Angiestewart1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eating what the thin ladies are eating probably isn't the best strategy, you can't tell your metabolism to do what the thin ladies one does, nor do you know what those people are doing before/after the buffet, maybe they spent 2 hours in the gym earning that big lunch... how would you know?
    So you need to eat for the thin person inside of you, not mimic what someone else is doing that might work for them.
    Also agree with the earlier comments, go big on the salads (avoid anything with a creamy dressing tho!), vegetables and the lean protein meats, can't go far wrong with that combo!
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    maybe they spent 2 hours in the gym earning that big lunch...
    When I have holidays, and special days, I most certainly earn my lunch by longer workouts. I also tend to have protein shakes for breakfast/lunch so that if it is a 1,000 calorie meal I got no problems. So definitely, just because a lady is "thin" and eating "said food" really doesn't mean much at all.

So, I will quote something I thought was helpful "@cheesy567 quote “Goals must be focused on the habits. You can control your habits, you can control what you *do.* You cannot control the outcome. You can chose to follow your meal plan and exercise plan to a T. You cannot control what the scale says. You cannot control your weight. Weight is a byproduct of the balance of your lifestyle, the balance of all your eating and fitness habits. Focus on your habits, one by one."

"Thin"-ness is a byproduct of the balance of your lifestyle, all your eating and fitness habits.
  • CrustyOldMan
    CrustyOldMan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try to eat like a peasant. Simple meager meals consisting of non processed whole foods. You know, a potato, some rice, simple salads without dressings. You would be suprised at how much food you can eat and still come under your calorie count for the day, and feel completly satisfied.
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Let me explain a litttle more what eat like thin women meens to me, When I was working, we often had lunch brought in or conferences with food brought in. Sometimes it was a buffet and sometimes they served you a plate. The food was OK but nothing special. I started to notice that the thin ladies ate less than everyone else, more like I should be eating. It helped me lose weight while I was working. I'm retired but have a club breakfast once a week. It's served on a plate. I'm leaving some of the food on the plate or asking for something healthier.

We have happy hour with the camping group. I almost always bring veggies and hummus. Others bring cheese, crackers, cashews and so on. I should stick with the veggies and hummus, which I like. Camping trip starts tomorrow.

We are going on our annual scuba diving trip on a boat. They serve a lot of food, lunch is buffet and dinner is served on a plate. Lots of snacks during the day. One woman's tactic is to only have one plate ful at the buffet, salad on half her plate and space between everything else on her plate. First dive trip in three years and starts in 3 weeks.

I gained a lot of weight during covid. I was doing ok with maintenance before covid. I have lost 11 pounds since March and have another 8 to get to pre covid. Then I'm working on the pesky pre covid 10.

I walked 4 to 8 miles a day during covid. I'm going back to the gym and slowly working on upper body and core. Can't believe my upper body and core got a 2 year rest and bang what happaned.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    As a fairly lean person, the one time I don't eat "diet" portions is at a potluck or other event. I'm not one to eat out normally, as I prefer to cook, and I have prepped meals and brought my own food to work for years. So if it's a social gathering I'm going to enjoy the food and not worry about it. I role model healthy food choices and portions sizes 95% of the time, but not if it's a special event or gathering. (I also don't typically eat at buffets, because I don't eat enough to make it worth the cost.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I focus on good nutrition and what amounts to a reasonable serving of food relative to my needs. I also focus on regular, daily exercise of some kind or another...whether that's recreational physical activity or actively training for something. I am generally not tempted to over-indulge as I don't like the feeling of being overly full. I eat three meals per day and do very little in the way of snacking save for my late afternoon/early evening planned snack. I may very well over-indulge a bit at parties and get togethers, but these types of things are occasional and have very little to no material affect on the whole of what I do. I have a very good understanding of what my calorie needs are relative to my activity for weight management and performance.

Mostly I strive to carryout an overall healthy lifestyle where the sum of my good living is greater than the sum of my indulgences and the rest just tends to take care of itself. I don't really do what the thin people do as I have no desire to be skinny...I do what the fit and healthy people do and that keeps me relatively lean and strong.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    @GOrun2 from your explanation it sounds like you already have a healthy game plan in place. Limiting yourself to one plate, choosing nutritious foods, filling most of the plate with salad (to that I would add be careful what you top that salad with - meat, croutons, nuts, cheese, and dressings all add calories quickly, but all foods are fine as long as you keep accurate track of calories in & out) and leaving space on your plate between the smaller tastes of other foods. If you are walking 4-8 miles daily, adding strength workouts at the gym to that, and also scuba diving you are definitely doing way more than I am, and I have successfully lost 51 pounds in the last year or so. I came back from some significant health set backs to be able to get active again, and am 5’9” and 138.6 as of this morning. (Working on maintaining and gaining back more strength). As long as you don’t try to rush the weight loss and instead focus on enjoying all the great activities you are involved in, it sounds like you are on a path to do very well. The only other thing I don’t do anymore is drink alcohol. I stopped because of various medicines I was on, and it is amazing the amount of calories you can use more productively even if you aren’t a big drinker. I found that there are now a lot of interesting alternatives for the sober curious and I really enjoy those when socializing, and they are half the calories or less of an alcoholic beverage.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me a lot especially at the start, and this went along with learning portion control, was to make substitutions.

For example, soda. Maybe I pick a stevia or splenda sweetened soda instead of a regular one. If I don't make any other changes that day that's still a nice chunk of calories saved. Or maybe I got with low sugar ketchup instead of regular. Or instead of using the normal salad dressing I use a lite version or switch it up entirely and use balsamic vinegar. Or fat free Greek yogurt with berries and some low cal sweetener instead of the regular stuff with all the sugar. A favorite of mine is using a good non stick pan with a touch of cooking spray instead of a lot of oil. Taste is almost the same yet I can easily save a couple hundred calories.

You probably get the idea - there are a lot of small swaps and tweaks you can make that can add up to a lot, meanwhile you are still eating your favorite things. When you're ready, adding in smaller portions or switching in more fruits and vegetables can improve things a lot. You can also do the same thing with exercise and find in ways to fit in "movement snacks" throughout your day.

I'm emphasizing the easy simple stuff here because a person can make some pretty impressive progress with these changes, all without feeling they are suffering or dieting.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me a lot especially at the start, and this went along with learning portion control, was to make substitutions.

For example, soda. Maybe I pick a stevia or splenda sweetened soda instead of a regular one. If I don't make any other changes that day that's still a nice chunk of calories saved. Or maybe I got with low sugar ketchup instead of regular. Or instead of using the normal salad dressing I use a lite version or switch it up entirely and use balsamic vinegar. Or fat free Greek yogurt with berries and some low cal sweetener instead of the regular stuff with all the sugar. A favorite of mine is using a good non stick pan with a touch of cooking spray instead of a lot of oil. Taste is almost the same yet I can easily save a couple hundred calories.

You probably get the idea - there are a lot of small swaps and tweaks you can make that can add up to a lot, meanwhile you are still eating your favorite things. When you're ready, adding in smaller portions or switching in more fruits and vegetables can improve things a lot. You can also do the same thing with exercise and find in ways to fit in "movement snacks" throughout your day.

I'm emphasizing the easy simple stuff here because a person can make some pretty impressive progress with these changes, all without feeling they are suffering or dieting.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I try to eat like a peasant.
    Lols, I LOVE this... but I am not sure how much stone soup I can handle!!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My husband is naturally thin/fit. He is very physically active at work, but he never eats a single bite more than full. He can put down a delicious dessert or whatever with 2 bites left and go “I’m full”.

If we go to a restaurant and his food is not on point, he won’t eat it. You paid XX for that… “nah, it’s not that good”

So, I try to not eat when I’m not actually hungry and stop when I have had enough, not eat it because I bought it, if that makes sense.
  • hititskip
    hititskip Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I actually do this lol. I was recently out eating somewhere and I noticed an entire table of thinner people splitting two appetizers and a couple sides instead of each having their own. At another table two thin young women were each enjoying a delicious looking kids meal. I don't judge what anyone eats but I definitely look for good ideas.