Why does my husband continually push food on me?

Options
I only have about 20 pounds to lose and I'm doing great but I get so tired of the, "Well, I'm going out for a latte. I think you need one too." No, I don't. Push and push he goes, on and on. And I don't feel like one today. In fact, since starting this a few weeks ago, I have not had a latte because I don't need to spend the calories on it. He is of normal weight so maybe he feels bad for me but he continually feels the need to push food and beverage on me that I don't want.

Replies

• babs__75
    babs__75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    LOL.. I work from home and drink a lot of coffee (black! - rarely creamer!) throughout my work day. Don't always need more.
  • babs__75
    Options
    My husband tends to drone on and on about things, "You always eat the same thing for breakfast. why don't you try something different." Because I'm happy with what I eat for breakfast and it stays with me and I've found what works best for me????????? I do like the word STOP. Gonna try that.

• babs__75
    Options
    Well, he just arrived home with granola. Thought I needed it. Not really but I guess I'll have some at some point to make him feel better. 1/3 cup serving. Too much sugar. Oh, well................
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    It took my sister years to finally stop asking me or pushing stuff onto me, cause she finally heard me say 'no thanks' often enough. Dh can be guilty of it at times. He'll just automatically pick up something for me, that he knows I like. It's nice of him but if it wasn't something I was planning on indulging in, it can cause me to wreck my whole day of calorie counting because I have a helluva time with temptation even being in the house. :( It's not in my make-up to wait and have it another day.

I'd have 'the talk' with him and tell him how much you 'appreciate the thought but please no, thank you, honor my wishes, don't feel guilty about enjoying one without me, I truly don't want one but thanks!' Anything that works, while thanking him for offering. If he feels offensive about it, that's entirely on him.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Some people just show affection by feeding you or getting you things that they enjoy. They mean well. It's lovely that he cares.
    But I understand, it is not what you need to support your diet. Just thank him for the offer and suggest something else (something small or convenient) he can bring back for you instead. Maybe it just makes him happy getting you something.

I have a friend who does this too when he comes over, and even when I say I don't need or want anything, he still brings over wine and food. So I just tell him what I'd prefer instead (salmon, pineapples, healthy snacks or avocados) and we don't have to eat the same things.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    @ahoy_m8 That's really sweet though. My mum is exactly the same, my friends used to love staying because of the food.
    Now I'm all grown up and she still shows her affection with food when I'm there. I kindly thank her but remind her I'm not as skinny and lucky as her and now the weight is catching up, so as much as I love all the food but I need to portion control. I just take the extras for another day 😁
  • Howard_M_Burgerz
    Howard_M_Burgerz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Maybe some insecurity?
  • Fayeworth
    Fayeworth Posts: 60 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    My Gran is a feeder. I cannot see her without her trying to force multiple cups of tea, biscuits, sandwiches, crisps and cake in my face. Yet she was the first one to comment that I’d put on loads of weight. You can’t win. Now all I get is “ohhh I think you’ve lost too much, I’m worried about you, don’t lose anymore, ooo you’re looking pale”. I just nod and smile. I think the more noticeable your weight loss and closer to your goal, the more they think you’re starving yourself.

I also think sometimes, your success highlights their insecurities about their weight. But for you maybe not as you’ve said your husband is a normal weight. Perhaps he feels bad for having “treats” that you’re not having xx
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So I would ask for a shaken espresso (soy, 2 pumps sweetener is 100 cal-unless you do no cal sweetener) or an americano. Then you’ve asked him to get you something and you are in control of what is brought home to you #beatthesystem. Manipulate him back lol
    But really-other advice here you got is great but this wasn’t mentioned as specifically.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Have you asked him why he does this?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm not having much success with these Assertive Communication techniques with certain family members, but I think it's due to cognitive deficiencies on their part, not with the technique.

4 TECHNIQUES OF ASSERTIVE COMMUNICATION

1. Assertive messages
    * improve your ability to get your message across to the other person

Assertive messages are made up of 3 parts:
    1) a description of the behavior that you would like the person to change
    2) a statement about how their behavior makes you feel
    3) a brief description of a specific effect their behavior has on something important to you

Example:
    1) Behavior: When you don't clean the counter.....
    2) Feelings: I feel very annoyed........
    3) Effect (tangible): because it makes more work for me.

2. Reflective Listening
    * make people feel that you understood their message, de-escalates their anger

Reflective listening is a simple and effective way to make people feel that you understood their message – when people feel heard and understood, they are less likely to escalate their anger. It does not require that you agree with everything they said, it only requires that you listen and repeat back to them the essence of what they are trying to say.

Example:

Other person: I've told you how important this is to me and yet you continue to do it.

Reflective Listening: So you feel that I don't care and that your feelings aren't important to me?

3. Broken Record Technique
    * improve your ability to get your message across in situations when you depend on someone to respond to you in a positive way
    An assertiveness skill that requires repetition of your need or question until your point is acknowledged or you are given help to get your needs met elsewhere. Limit your responding to your immediate goal. Continue stating your goal/need until it is acknowledged.

Example: It's too expensive...I know it's a good value, but it's too expensive...I know about finance deals, but it's too expensive.

4. “Sandwich” Technique
    * de-escalates or prevents the other person’s anger and increases likelihood your point will be heard

Requires “sandwiching” your request or suggestion in between two statements that are designed to lower the defenses of the listener. Begin with a positive or sympathetic statement, state concern or request, end with another positive statement.

Example:

Positive Statement: I have always considered you to be one of my best friends.

Concern: So when I heard that you were talking behind my back, I felt really hurt. What I need is
    for you to talk to me directly and not get others involved.

Positive Statement: You have always been there for me in the past and I know I can still count on you.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Just talk with him.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think people don’t like change in others. They may feel threatened because they see your progress and are afraid you are “getting down to fighting weight”, or in other words, preparing to leave them.

If it were me, I would say thank you and not eat it. If he buys you more, I would say “thank you but I’ve not gotten through the last bag of granola (or whatever) yet.”

My son gave me a huge bag of some type of fancy candy with my Mother’s Day gift. I did say thank you. I do appreciate he thought of me but I am not interested in candy anymore so later I passed it on to my husband who manages his weight effortlessly.

I don’t feel guilt that I’m required to eat something someone else bought for me. I say “ thank you, I might have some for a snack (or tomorrow, whatever…)” and let it go at that. Maybe I will. 🤷🏻‍♀️ maybe it will go out in the trash or gift it to someone else…