Exercises in the workplace?

anthonyloprimo
anthonyloprimo Posts: 27 Member
edited May 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm looking for possible ideas for subtle exercises I can do while at work.

I read about small things like constant leg bouncing (thank you, ADHD) can burn a few calories if sustained over the course of the day. Another one I thought might be good would be things with my office chair. Would pushing myself back and pulling myself forward with just my legs be a valid exercise? The idea is that I remain mostly seated, just using my legs to push and pull myself. With my current weight (~300lbs), I'd imagine I'm definitely pushing and pulling a decent amount of weight, if it is a decent exercise.

Mind you, I'm not looking to burn like 800 extra calories a day while working at the desk (though if I had a treadmill desk, maybe....). Just basically any chance I can squeeze in physical activity, even a little bit, to keep moving, especially when I'd otherwise be sitting down.

I've been sedentary for much of my life, and other than the weight, blood clots are a definite fear of mine. Even if I'm not currently at risk, I want to kick habits that can lead to an increased risk.
Tagged:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I get up every hour to walk a bit...usually the scenic route to the bathroom or breakroom for water. More often than not, if I have to talk with a colleague I get up and go over to their office or cubical rather than emailing them or calling their extension. I have a small printer in my office, but I rarely use it...I print to the printer in the common area which requires me to get up and walk to it. I forgo "rock star" parking at the office and just about everywhere else I go and park further away. I split time between two different office buildings...one is a three story and the other is a two story. I work on the 3rd floor of the 3 story and always take the stairs up and down when I'm coming or going. At my 2 story building I work on the first floor but typically use the restroom and breakroom on the 2nd floor, so every hour when I get up to go to the restroom or get water I go to the second floor and then make a big circle back down to my office.
  • shockbishop
    shockbishop Posts: 38 Member
    I saw a cool under the desk cycle machine. It may be what I try, but not sure I can concentrate at work cycling under my desk. The ones now days are almost silent too.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    I do a Tea-Wee when I’m in the office. Put the kettle on to make a cup of tea then go up a flight of stairs for a wee (I always go up or down a flight rather than using the loos on my floor), come back and make a tea. Then of course I drink the tea so need another wee, and another flight of stairs. Means I get up and move away from laptop. At home I use a fitness ball as my chair and fidget and boing away on that. Used to do it in the office but it was really irritating for my colleagues 🤣
  • anthonyloprimo
    I do a Tea-Wee when I’m in the office. Put the kettle on to make a cup of tea then go up a flight of stairs for a wee (I always go up or down a flight rather than using the loos on my floor), come back and make a tea. Then of course I drink the tea so need another wee, and another flight of stairs. Means I get up and move away from laptop. At home I use a fitness ball as my chair and fidget and boing away on that. Used to do it in the office but it was really irritating for my colleagues 🤣

LOL! I thought about getting an exercise ball since the office was pretty empty due to most working from home during the pandemic... though lately they just started an initiative to get people back to the office... not even going to consider it now for the same reason - don't wanna annoy my co-workers!
  • anthonyloprimo
    I saw a cool under the desk cycle machine. It may be what I try, but not sure I can concentrate at work cycling under my desk. The ones now days are almost silent too.

I've considered that! Especially cause they're quieter. A couple of people at my office have one, too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,014 Member
    You might find some ideas in this thread, though not everything in the thread would work in the office scenario:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Any movement is movement. I’m a fidgety person and find it difficult to sit still. Things I do at work:
    - sit - stand desk - I stand for half of the day
    - Calf raises
    - Desk push ups
    - Seated stretches.
    - Take the stairs