Near or post menopausal group

Options

Replies

• mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Maura is so on the ball. We all need to stay together as pals. I can tell you all she is supportive. She was one of the first friends I had on MFP. Let's go ladies - the best is yet to come!!
  • carolinebenforado
    Options
    I would love to be in this group. I have had problems with my weight for the last 15 years, but now that I'm past menopause, it is just a disaster. I'm so frustrated and unhappy.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am 52. A couple of years ago I started going through menopause. First off, I started having crazy periods. I suddenly started having super heavy bleeding, so heavy I had to use tampons and pads together (something I had never done in the past).
    Then I would go months without a period, then, out of the blue I'd have the period from hell. Soon I started getting wicked hot flashes, although I had no night sweats (thank God).

Even though I was a runner, I slowly started putting on weight. I had been 130 pounds for a long time, but the scale started creeping up. Last year I signed up to do my first ultra marathon and started running more. I figured the weight would come off due to the extra mileage, but it never happened. This year I got up to almost 150 pounds, the highest I had ever been in my life. I was right at 150 when I was pregnant! It seemed like no matter what I did, I couldn't drop the weight. I know some of you may think 150 pounds isn't much, but it was for me.

A running friend who is serving in Afghanistan was using this site, so I tried it. By being able to track calories vs. work outs, I could finally see where I was making my mistakes. In the last little over three months, I've lost 20 pounds and am almost to my goal weight of 125 pounds (a place I haven't been to in a decade or more)! When I get to 125, I will decide whether or not I want to get down to 120. I will probably stop there.

I am now feeling 100% better and lighter., I don't "feel" the fat on my body anymore. I am running faster and I look great in clothes!!

When you go through menopause, your metabolism slows way down but it's not the end of the world. Weight loss can be accomplished but it takes a heck of a lot of hard work and you must exercise. Is it fair? No! But it's a fact of life. We can learn and fix it, or become fat and disabled.

Feel free to add me. :bigsmile:
  • lennykat
    Options
    bump-

A peri here-- considering I started my TOM today. I've been on a 20 day cycle for about 6 months now with the visit lasting about 3 days. Considering I've been exercising for 9 months, watching what I eat for about 4 and really buckling down in the last two and lost

ZERO
    pounds I'm thinking it's time to talk to my doctor about testing my thyroid and hormone levels.

Anyway- for those of you ladies who've already been through this or starting or whatever-- I've heard that weight loss can be a REAL struggle-- but what specifically makes it so hard, what were your goals and how long did it take you to see some success/results?

Thanks in advance.
  • sandrawmorris
    sandrawmorris Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what my problem is. The doc says I'm fine. But, I weighed 151 when I gave birth to my oldest almost 22 years ago. This a.m. I weighed 153. Yesterday it was 156. My weight bounces all over the place. One day last week I was at 146. I exercise regularly. Have been for the past 20 years. I don't run anymore (they keep it hot as Hades in the club I go to), but I walk, ride the bike and do weight-training. I am guessing my diet is my problem, though I eat healthier now more than ever. It is very depressing.
  • JaneP2011
    JaneP2011 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well for the last year I've been gettng terrible insomnia in the two-three days leading up to my period. And if I don't get enough sleep I tend to over eat the next day. So on top of the usual monthly carb-cravings I get an extra dose of over eating which is related to the lack of sleep, I think. So while I might be a pretty good dieter for 3 weeks, all my effort is being cancelled out in the build up and start of menstrul week. :-(
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    One thing I can recommend is getting your metabolic rate tested. I had a New Leaf assessment done at a relatively close health club (which is, unfortunately, too far away for me to consider a membership). I now know exactly how many calories my body needs to survive at rest (which is DISGUSTINGLY low), plus exactly how many calories my body burns in different heart rate zones, and what my anaerobic threshold is - or was, as I have greatly improved that over the last 8 weeks.

I also talked with my doctor about thyroid testing. Last time I had it done it was within normal range but on the low end. We decided to hold off on that to see if I couldn't boost my metabolism through exercise. Had I not recently started to see improvement, I would be in for a test, but I don't think I need that yet.

Here's information about the New Leaf test - there's also a locator there if you're interested in the testing. It is NOT CHEAP, but worth every penny if you want to know exactly what's going on in your body.
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join as well. I am Peri... I am 53. I have had night sweats for years but thats it. I started period young-4th grade- and the doc said when you start young you tend to go long. Great. I was even going to get the laser thing done but the doc said since I am in the end of the range it seems pointless. Would like the support from others in similar stage of life.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I want to hug you of all! Count me in! I'm 53 (next month) and still in the peri phase......haven't had a period in 3 months now. NEVER has it been so easy in my life as now to gain weight!! All those little 'cheats' here and there that I could get away with when I was younger just go right to my mid section now. Sucks! I feel your pain and know exactly what you all are going through!!! Let's hang in there and keep fighting the good fight sisters!!
  • caligirl328
    Options
    I completely agree and would love to join in! in the last 6 months I've discovered my body going through all kinds of changes! Can't sleep, hot flashes, *****iness, I am also finding i am retaining up to about 5 pds of water (which freaks me out and makes me think ive actually gained that amt of weight) periods that last 3 weeks then some that last 3 days! Oh the joy of going through menopause....NOT!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612
    Options
    I'm in! I'm 48 and haven't had TOM for several years. Don't miss it. LOL

I used to maintain my weight no problem...if I'd add a few pounds just increasing my exercise worked. Then a few years ago I had to add portion control to lose weight. The weight would creep back. This time around exercise and portion control didn't work at all.

So I did some googling and one of the things I read was that we don't process carbs the way we used to. So I gave up my precious carbs (most bread, pasta, rice, potatoes) for the most part. More protein. More fruits and veggies. And it has been slooooooow going but I am making progress.

I started in March at 168 and I am 149ish now. I'm 5'10" and would love to be 140 again...but my first goal is 145.
  • ArtHarlot
    Options
    I'm in! I'm 48, and I've lost 9lbs total (but fluctuate back and forth 2 or 3 lbs) and I can't seem to lose more weight. I am going to an endocrinologist this week to see if he can figure out what my problem is. I need to lose like 100lbs. I'm really disgusted.

Maybe you all can inspire me and help me to realize I'm not alone in this terrible struggle.
  • tartz66
    tartz66 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just started going through pre- menopause. I have found that it is harder for me to lose the weight now. I could definately use the support and encouragement. Terri
  • alibeany
    alibeany Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Please count me in- I'm 44 and had an operation that removed both my ovaries 3 years ago( previously had a hysterectomy at 26).
    I took myself off of HRT about a year ago- but have gained so much weight,and am finding it so difficult to lose again.
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love ALL of you ladies! I sure can appreciate everything you're going through - been there, done that, still doing it! I finally have some weight coming off, but only because I know exactly how many calories I burn at rest and in fat-burn and cardio zones, and exactly where my anaerobic threshold is. Way below what "conventional wisdom" says. I'm finding happiness with doing 1 to 1.5 hours of cardio per day, or at least 600 calories. That's what's making the difference for me. Good luck, lovely ladies! Friend me if you want...
  • JaneP2011
    JaneP2011 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Interesting posts about how our metabolism slows down so much! I'd always assumed I could eat 2000 calories for maintenance - no way! These days 1600-1700 is the max if I don't want to gain weight. So that means 1100-1200 net calories for any weight loss - very very tough to sustain that for the couple of months necessary to lose a significant amount of weight.

I know I need to up my exercise - a lot - if I'm going to stand any chance of getting rid of this horrible 20lbs that's found a home on my hips and thighs in my 40s!

Good luck ladies - good to have you all as a support group! :flowerforyou:
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!!!! What a fabulous response - and clearly a subset that is needed so that we can support one another through the extra challenges that menopause throws at us in our weight loss journeys. I had not thought so much as starting a separate group - as I have no idea how to do that and don't really see a need to do that but have noticed other groups that just continue with one thread like we have just started to support one another and identify those that share similar issues.

What do you think?

I have struggled with weight issues most of my life - but since entering into menopause it has become so much harder - I think my metabolism has slowed right down. For the first time in my life I have an issue with high cholesterol which I gather is another gift from menopause. I read that prior to menopause women tend to have a lower incidence than men of cholesterol issues but post menopause we do a leap and suddenly are equal statistically. My dad also had hugely high cholesterol and nothing with diet would lower it - so I have to blame my genetics as well as my decrease in hormones. The peak of my peri menopausal symptoms occurred between the ages of 50 and 51 - and consisted mainly of hot flushes, moodiness and more weight gain.I still have hot flushes occasionally but they are not as severe as they were - and way less frequent. For a while I was getting them at least every 20 minutes - around the clock.

The last few years for me have been horrendous- as my husband of 33 years was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour and despite a valiant fight he lost his battle last year. During his illness- obviously exercise was placed on the back burner as often I couldn't even risk leaving him long enough to shower as he was in and out of lucidity - which meant that he would attempt moving around or getting into things that were dangerous for him. Since his death I lapsed into a deep depression and didn't care what I ate and had absolutely no energy which equalled no exercise - so the weight just kept piling on.

Since emerging from the depression I have found the weight hard to shift - and although I had some success losing about 5-7 kilos prior to joining MFP it has been very slow and laborious. It seems to me that exercise is the critical thing for me - as this seems the catalyst for my weight loss along with keeping track of the calories. I have to believe that this exercise is the stimulus for metabolic change which had slowed down to almost stop it would seem. I walk for an hour every day - sometimes faster than others and my exercise partner is my wonderful little Westie - called Fergus. He is a great motivator - and once the sun gets a bit low in the sky he rounds me up for a walk .
    I am very hopeful that we can continue with this thread to try to support one another in this journey and to share any tips / ideas that might be helpful and keep us motivated.

Debbie
  • lorimur
    Options
    This sounds like the perfect group for me !

Gmomlyn....you and I could be sisters as apart from a couple of tweaks - I am not 53 until December, have 2 children and 1 grand-daughter but no dog anymore...our stories are almost identical... :laugh:

Throw in some thyroid and IBS issues and there you have my life story..
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    caligirl I can relate to a lot of what you've written about. And retaining fluid! OMG! Lots of puffy feet. I thought it was just being overweight.

debbie - interesting about the cholesterol. I've just had a blood test recently and had raised cholesterol for the first time ever. Hopefully losing weight will fix that up. Also suspected fatty liver - I have to go and have an ultrasound for that one. I'm sorry to read of your loss ... it's good that you are recovering and we'll be here to help you with this particular journey.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Please count me in. I'm 53. Last week I heard a nutritionist recommend eating alphalfa sprouts to help regulate hormonal balances. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to ask about menopause. I have less 'power surges' (flushes) when I eat lots of veges and less carbohydrates.