Even MORE controversial question.

Options
2»

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    In my biased opinion as a proud gun owner, I say that (some) of the regulations that are in place now should be lifted. For instance in my state (Connecticut) there's an assault weapons ban in place that I find absolutely ridiculous. If you want to own a rifle, it can only have one of the following 5 folding/collapsing stock, pistol grip, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, and grenade launcher. Apparently, if you have more than one, that automatically makes it an assault rifle. There are plenty of other bans and regulations that I find absolutely ridiculous as well, and I think regulating them even more is absurd.

My background - US Army 8 years, in the Firearms industry 10 years, CCW holder, NRA Member

Why do you need an Assault Rifle? For hunting? What, you can't kill the animal with one shot? If in your hause you have an intruder, you feel the need to SPRAY the ammo all over exiting your house and putting more innocent people at risk? Unless you are a curator or collector you have no need for one. With the way hangun ammunition is made, he stopping power is already there in a pistol round. Fearing a Canadian invasion? Not going to happen. Fearing a revolution? Go back to when this country was fought and won with ball and packed powder and smarts.

All things being said, I LOVE tactical gear. It wouldbe cool to own one, but I dont need one. Come in my house unannounced, and you'll see...well, you'll see flash and smoke then darkness. Now, for home defense...get a shotgun. In defense against that statement, there is a need for manuverability within confined areas...they should allow a collapsable stock and pistol grip. but the others...you're just trolling for amusement.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    <
    Concealed weapons permit carrier. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Although I support the right to have guns (and I staunchly support) and don't even have a problem with people having concealed weapons, I'm not really in favor of assault weapons. Now granted the thugs and gangsters will have them, but if you just really think just in your life experience........and be honest, have you ever been held up or intimidated personally by someone carrying a gun of any sort? Chances are no. You're more likely to have a car accident then be robbed.
    This lead me to not getting one because although you can have the best of intentions and have the total know how to handle and shoot correctly, lapses in judgement can mean the difference between life and death.
    My cousin has an arsenal in his home. His vehicle had been broken into a few times and one night he heard it being broken into again. He got his shotgun and confronted the thieves. As they ran off, he fired one round towards the ground near his fence line out of anger. Unfortunately the neighbors small dog was near that area and was mortally wounded. He is now facing criminal charges and is also being sued at the same time. And he knows how to handle guns since he actually works security for a government lab. I'm not sure what's been going on, but from the sounds of it he may be in trouble. Just saying that it just takes a moment for things to go wrong.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    i never had been around guns untill i married my husband who is from TX lol I dont know much about them but have shot one with him in tx. i feel if your responsable then see no issue with it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    In my biased opinion as a proud gun owner, I say that (some) of the regulations that are in place now should be lifted. For instance in my state (Connecticut) there's an assault weapons ban in place that I find absolutely ridiculous. If you want to own a rifle, it can only have one of the following 5 folding/collapsing stock, pistol grip, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, and grenade launcher. Apparently, if you have more than one, that automatically makes it an assault rifle. There are plenty of other bans and regulations that I find absolutely ridiculous as well, and I think regulating them even more is absurd.

My background - US Army 8 years, in the Firearms industry 10 years, CCW holder, NRA Member

Why do you need an Assault Rifle? For hunting? What, you can't kill the animal with one shot? If in your hause you have an intruder, you feel the need to SPRAY the ammo all over exiting your house and putting more innocent people at risk? Unless you are a curator or collector you have no need for one. With the way hangun ammunition is made, he stopping power is already there in a pistol round. Fearing a Canadian invasion? Not going to happen. Fearing a revolution? Go back to when this country was fought and won with ball and packed powder and smarts.

All things being said, I LOVE tactical gear. It wouldbe cool to own one, but I dont need one. Come in my house unannounced, and you'll see...well, you'll see flash and smoke then darkness. Now, for home defense...get a shotgun. In defense against that statement, there is a need for manuverability within confined areas...they should allow a collapsable stock and pistol grip. but the others...you're just trolling for amusement.
    Agree here. Shotgun and a pistol for home protection is really all you need.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Why does anyone need a gun, really? It's a weapon of murder. It kills people. There are non-lethal ways to protect yourself (if you really need protecting that badly, which I highly doubt).

It seems to me the chances of a gun actually saving your life are a lot less than the chances of an accident happening with you, your kids, the neighbor kids, whatever. Why take the chance?
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    Right to bare arms....woot!!!!!!
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Per capita, I don't know whether Australia has more or less gun related accidents, incidents or crimes than America or any other country, but I am glad that gun ownership is so restricted here. It makes me feel safer.

^ this. I am very content with the fact guns are rare in Aus, there is enough stupid violence in our cities as it is, god knows how much worse it'd be if we were allowed guns - especially 'assault weapons'.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't think leaving them where children can get to them is irresponsible. I think that leaving them where an uneducated child can get to them is irresponsible, but that's a whole other matter :laugh: I used to feel the same way about them, but handling them and learning more about them and how they work put me at ease, and I love them now. :) Good on you for being willing to become more educated!
    How do you educate a 3 year old on a gun? You can say no, you can say "you'll kill yourself", but a 3 year olds mind can't comprehend that. Sorry gotta disagree here.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Although I support the right to have guns (and I staunchly support) and don't even have a problem with people having concealed weapons, I'm not really in favor of assault weapons. Now granted the thugs and gangsters will have them, but if you just really think just in your life experience........and be honest, have you ever been held up or intimidated personally by someone carrying a gun of any sort? Chances are no. You're more likely to have a car accident then be robbed.
    This lead me to not getting one because although you can have the best of intentions and have the total know how to handle and shoot correctly, lapses in judgement can mean the difference between life and death.
    My cousin has an arsenal in his home. His vehicle had been broken into a few times and one night he heard it being broken into again. He got his shotgun and confronted the thieves. As they ran off, he fired one round towards the ground near his fence line out of anger. Unfortunately the neighbors small dog was near that area and was mortally wounded. He is now facing criminal charges and is also being sued at the same time. And he knows how to handle guns since he actually works security for a government lab. I'm not sure what's been going on, but from the sounds of it he may be in trouble. Just saying that it just takes a moment for things to go wrong.

People like your friend are the difference between a responsible gun owner and one that gets guns strictly for safety. He should have never had his finger on the trigger, and if it was a shotgun and he knew how to handle it properly, that means he would have been shouldering it, which is not something a responsible gun owner would have done in that situation unless he felt his life was in danger. Unfortunately, that is totally your friend's mistake. No responsible gun owner would have done that.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I don't think leaving them where children can get to them is irresponsible. I think that leaving them where an uneducated child can get to them is irresponsible, but that's a whole other matter :laugh: I used to feel the same way about them, but handling them and learning more about them and how they work put me at ease, and I love them now. :) Good on you for being willing to become more educated!
    How do you educate a 3 year old on a gun? You can say no, you can say "you'll kill yourself", but a 3 year olds mind can't comprehend that. Sorry gotta disagree here.

Small children, sure, but children in general. You can easily educate a child that is old enough to comprehend what you're saying.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I got "guns" and flex 'em daily.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I to am from Australia and i have to say im glad guns are banned here, I know that most people would and could be responsible gun owners but theres also allot that couldnt and wouldnt wether it be they are violent or just that they are careless

I guess my opinion comes from me not trusting society in my opinion society in general has become a very irresponsible violent and sometimes sadistic place and i dont think allowing it to have use of guns would be a good idea i understand that knifes etc can be just as bad and in allot of places are buti dont think giving people other options for weapons is the right way to go especially because there is a element of "cool" that comes wiith guns which i think can attract the wrong kind of person at the same time though i dont hate gun owners or people who view the oppsoite to me and in some circumstances i think guns are needed like for farmers etc
  • BigDaddyBRC
    Options
    I don't know about regulation or how highly regulated they should be.
    I hate guns, and I hate a lot of things that happen when they get into the wrong hands. So I don't know enough to get into a long debate.

I was going to say they should have some kind of psychiatric testing, to keep crazies from getting them.

But a you said, thse people were probably going to obtain them somehow anyway.

:(

You are one of the very few people that admits you don't know enough to debate it. Kudos to you! If you don't mind, can I ask why you hate guns? You can message me if you'd prefer. I used to "hate" them myself, but it was mostly because I was uneducated (not saying that's your case, though.)
    Perhaps hate is a strong word. But I do hate when irresponsible owners/parents leave them where children can get to them and children are killed or wounded badly.
    I hate how somebody with whacked out personal beliefs will go onto a school campus and kill lord knows how many....

I do love the idea that people can charge and protect themselves, but it scares the crap out of me.
    My significant other wants to buy me one, since he is not here with me right now. And I agreed that he can, and I'll take classes and educate myself.
    But again...they just scare me.

I'm an old hippie. ll

Never hate the equipment that cannot perform without a human interest. It is the people, the Direct people that need to be disliked.

That's awesome. It truly is an eye opener.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

I left that part alone, because I agree with you. There is no way you can teach a child under I'd say 12 on a gun. And a three year old? forget it.
    My 3 and 4 year old know not to hit eachother .......but do it anyway.

TOo scary.
  • MsALMill
    MsALMill Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have grown up with guns around and have fired a few myself. When a parent is responsible with the guns I do not see a problem. My brother and I always knew where dad's were but we also knew how badly we would get in trouble if we even thought of touching it. For years I've wanted a small one of my own (a little derringer) for safety because I do live alone and don't think the fireplace poker can always be the best I need for safety. I chose a derringer because I know how sensitive I am emotionally and do believe doing more than simply injuring someone who is breaking in would break me to pieces.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    People like your friend are the difference between a responsible gun owner and one that gets guns strictly for safety. He should have never had his finger on the trigger, and if it was a shotgun and he knew how to handle it properly, that means he would have been shouldering it, which is not something a responsible gun owner would have done in that situation unless he felt his life was in danger. Unfortunately, that is totally your friend's mistake. No responsible gun owner would have done that.
    Again, lapse in judgement because of anger. You can't say how any responsible owner would react because you don't know how they feel. You know as well as I do that you can even just say something out of anger and then later regret it because of the heat of the moment.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    Options

Judging intelligence is dificult. Personally 3 is too young. But if you have them around you at the RANGE, then they do learn. That being sad. Foolish is the one that does not take the proper security with their firearms EVERY DAY.
  • poisongirl1
    poisongirl1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about guns at all. The most I know is you need a fire arms license before you can buy one. Oh and that guns need to be registered. That's about it haha. None of my friends own any guns, and only a couple of my relatives go hunting. But I'm also Canadian, and guns seem to be less of a big deal here vs the states.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread, as well as offer a preview of some changes that will be debuted soon at MyFitnessPal. These changes are being made with the express purpose of allowing more leeway in terms of what users can freely post on the site.

The forum guidelines include this item:

13) Topics about POLITICS, religion, atheism, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about either of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss any of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

In the past, with only a small crew of volunteer moderators to help keep the dialogue on the site positive and supportive, Mike has reluctantly had to create a rule which disallows any posts about these potentially divisive topics. Mike would greatly prefer to allow all of these topics to be discussed on the site, but so far, we haven’t had the resources to moderate such topics in a manageable fashion. Often the tone of the original thread is harmless, but as the threads proceed, members participating in such topics have been subject to insults or attacks, feelings have gotten hurt, and in more instances than we would like, a moderator wasn’t able to step in quickly enough to prevent this from happening.

To help the situation and with the purpose of really letting conversation on the site blossom, two things are being done: the team is training more moderators, and the site will soon feature a new “Groups” feature.

With Groups, Members will be able to form their own groups and invite other members to join. Each group would have it’s own forum, and group forums would have much more leeway in the range of topics discussed. So, for example, you’ll absolutely be able to create a faith-based, or politically leaning support group and discuss the exact range of topics you’d like to discuss. Groups will be able to host a much more diverse and mature range of conversations, and because groups will be able to moderate themselves, we hope they’ll be much better at protecting some of our more targeted populations from unwanted hassle. We plan to heavily promote the existence of groups to all of our members, fostering strong participation and hopefully giving you exactly the community experience you are looking for on our site.

In the meantime, we appreciate your understanding. We’re committed to making MyFitnessPal a place where all members can communicate openly in a supportive, and positive environment that helps them to achieve their weight-loss and fitness goals.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.