Starting Weight Loss Journey Over ...AGAIN

Options
Hello, my name is Joany. I am 45 years old. I have struggled with weight for most of my adult years, but it really started about when I got pregnant, and had my son. That's been 25 years ago, and I'm still struggling.

My SW: 262
My GW: 130

I have started diets, a million of times, only to quit before the full week. I step anywhere from 5k to 7k steps a day, but need to up it to 10k hopefully.

My biggest problem is exercising or walking the full 10k, or exercising for at least 30 min to an hour each day.

I am a former smoker, have quit for 3 years now. I do have COPD, with Asthma, so doing a lot of walking or exercise is hard for me to do at times, especially in heat.

I'd love to make new friends on here for motivation and accountability friends.
Tagged:

Replies

• svista
    svista Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying again. I just restarted my weight loss earlier this year when the gyms finally opened up. I gained 20lbs in 2 years. So I'm only at one month of tracking and weighing everything I eat and how many calories I've burned.
    Maybe try a smart watch to help with motivation? Just try increasing calories burned each day instead of steps? Also I think a smart watch or even putting a reminder on your phone to get up and move around would help a little.
    If exercising 30+minutes in one shot is too much, try breaking it up in 5- 10 minute intervals. I would say to add strength training. The more muscle you gain, the more calories your body burns at rest. If you don't have weights, body weight works too.
    Also if you find walking difficult, what about dancing? Or swimming? Climbing the stairs? Jump rope? Not sure what other activities you like. Yoga is really good too.

• svista
    svista Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    And I've been on MyFitnessPal on and off for the past 10 years. My heaviest was 180 lbs. I'm 40 years old. I have two daughters (born 2015 & 2019). I'm currently at 151 and hoping to make it to 135 and size 8. Don't give up. Keep posting here when you need motivation.
  • rebelsue2
    rebelsue2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm back too trying to lose the weight i've gained since covid/WFH etc.... so frustrated and annoyed at myself but going to try and turn it around now! Currently around 197 needing to get back to around 170 to start with!
  • facosta0823
    facosta0823 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just keep going the way I think is one day in the gym doesn’t make u fit…. One day u eat “wrong” doesn’t make u fat!!! I been on my weight loss journey over a year now. Went from 300lbs to 228!! I am still going add me on here
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in the forums in a while. I'd probably have veteran status by now 😆. I started at about 250 in January 2015. Over about 3 years, I got down to 135. Then I fell off, moved in with my bf and started slowly gaining back. By the end of 2020 I was back to 225 (yikes). I'm back on my bs and making good progress. Trying to be down to 200 before my physical mid-july. 7 lbs to go. From my experience, the best way to go at it is focus on diet, and just do whatever activity you can tolerate to improve your overall wellbeing. You don't have to hurt or suffer through the process. We can do it. 👊
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wishing you success in getting to your goals!!! :)
  • rosiekin
    rosiekin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Good for you! While exercise can be great for health, it's not necessary to lose weight, so only do the amount you feel cfortable with. Weight is lost in the kitchen.

I agree, I lost 5 stones in 10 months doing nearly no exercise at all for the first 8 out of the 10 months.

I had also struggled with my weight for most of my adult life and have started and stopped so many diets that I couldn’t even begin to say how many times I’ve been where you are now. However, I have now successfully maintained my weight since 2015, so keep the faith, keep logging as that helps keep you accountable, and remember, if you have an off day, it doesn’t need to be the end of your diet/healthy eating plan. You can do it… just take one day at a time.

• metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Keep investing in yourself!
  • AudraBrown2015
    AudraBrown2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m right where you are to a certain extent. I had rotator cuff surgery last year and since rehab I’ve been trying hard to lose fat. Notice I said fat, not weight. I’ve been doing functional fitness for several months now and I’ve also hit a wall. I’ve also done every diet known to man. I’ve only been back on MFP for a lil over a month and I have to say, I get conflicting info. “Track everything including exercise and stay within your macros and everything should come off” or “don’t track your exercise and just eat within the calories given for the day.” I’ve gained 2 lbs since MFP bumped up my calories (I was using Noom). I’m frustrated for sure, but I’m not giving up. Maybe I’ll add walking into my daily routine. Message me, maybe we can be accountability partners? Just touch base to let you know we’ve walked or whatever. Stay with it.
  • samandtrevor7
    samandtrevor7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m right there with you. I also have asthma and with the heat and humidity it’s impossible to go outside for a walk without having an asthma attack. If you want a friend who has some common ground then I’m here for you. We can motivate each other.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you hate exercise, you don't have to do it to lose weight. Start by eating at a deficit first. I've lost 40+ pounds with little to no exercise (the occasional walk here and there, and I mean RARELY).

Exercise is good for you, and you may find it's more fun once you've lost some weight. It certainly has a lot of benefits. But don't let exercise become one more hurdle to overcome to feel/be successful. You CAN get to your goal weight without it. Good luck!
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I’m 44 and 5’8”. I Lost 50lbs in 2018 and gained back 40 over Covid.

Exercise is great for your heart, but it’s not necessary for weight loss, and can actually make hunger and cravings worse. I’m sticking to walking 30 minutes a few times per week, and body weight exercises (calf raises, planks, modified pushups and flute bridges/hip thrusts) a couple times each week.

I know when I pile too many obstacles, I fall flat because I get overwhelmed.

I’m happy to be a support buddy, if you’d like!
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Will be cheering for your success. :)
  • JLRavenclaw
    JLRavenclaw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’m back again too. I need motivation and accountability. I’ve put on weight since having two back surgeries in 2021. Plus I can’t do a lot of vigorous activity and workouts. I would love friends to help hold me accountable
  • chavez1811
    chavez1811 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The best part is that we keep coming back. If we never quit we are bound to succeed.