NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• Tamevv
    Tamevv Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Morning all, got my lunch prep all done (kid party at school) and still had time for a half hour elliptical (DH didn’t get a kiss goodbye the morning tho - gotta prioritise my time 😂). When food time came around my head started telling me I needed two pieces of toast this morning cause I was so hungry and I did toast two, but while cooking got to reassess and knew I only needed one - which is my usual. So yay for another good start to the day. Have some errands in the afternoon so fingers crossed I can stay strong for that. Youngest DS always wants to stop for sweet foods and I usually do because I love spending one on one time with him, but I’m going to offer to spend the money on a toy for him instead. Then we can still spend time shopping together and talk about things he likes, and I’ll spend the same amount of money as I would on food anyway, and we both keep our calories in check. It’s a sound plan, just need to follow through. I’m hoping that telling you all will give me motivation to stick to it and report back with success 😊
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    hello all.....Hubby and and I are now covid positive and stuck in the basement at my friends. I listened to the fireworks last night. LOL My symptoms ebb and flow. Today when I sit up all I do is want to sleep. When I lay down, I can't sleep. Dd and I have been playing parcheesi with each other to kill the time. I don't have much of an appetite which is good. I'm hoping to lose at least a couple of pounds out of this. I need to figure out a good time to get on here regularly. It's not like I'm doing anything else. lol
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever So sorry you & dh now positive. Hope you get better quickly. I have had a headache for a couple of days, so retested again today, but still negative which is good with family here. Leaving for fireworks soon.

@Tamevv Good job assessing how hungry you were before eating it just because you made it & for getting your exercise in.

Sorry I’m not “speaking” to the rest of you, but your posts are on the other page & I will lose this if I go back, lol.
    My eating today has not been good…enough said.

Hope everyone in the US is having a good 4th of July! Gotta run!
  • Tamevv
    Options
    @trooworld - Your pasta salad looks delicious.

I’m not eating pasta or rice at all anymore - stopped when I was doing WW cause I could never afford the points. I now fill a cereal bowl with baby spinach and put whatever the sauce or protein is on top of that. I actually really enjoy it and don’t miss the carb at all. I used to feel quite heavy and lethargic after dinners but I’m finding this helps a lot with that. I bought myself some feta the other day and have been waiting for an opportunity to make a really nice Greek salad, but it just seems there’s not enough meal-times in the day to eat all the things I want to eat!!! This realisation makes me happy though because it’s bringing back my enjoyment of food and looking forward to meals. There is also a spinach, mushroom and feta wrap on Wholemeal two-ingredient-dough that I’m hankering for as well, and will get to one day. Could do it for a breakfast except I enjoy my usual eggs too much. 😊

Because I’ve really enjoyed the shared recipes of late, here is a varient of what I’m doing for dinner: https://mywellbalancedlife.com/honey-roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe/. I do it slightly differently to this and usually skip the honey but add garlic. I’ll probably fry the bacon and garlic together then toss through the other veg before baking, and not add any extra oil. Tonight I’m using Brussels, mushrooms, parsnip, sweet potato and zucchini. Kids actively dislike ALL of those veggies except the Brussels and sweet potato but they can suck it up - this one’s for me 😊. I’ll serve them some herb bread on the side and might toss through some pasta. I’ll serve my own on my usual bowl of raw spinach. Looking forward to it 😁.

@theslightedgeforever - sorry about the Covid. I had a really stuffy head and nose but found if I raised my pillow slightly I was able to sleep. I usually sleep pretty flat and had to stay on my back with the extra height, but that was the only way I got any sleep at all. Good luck!

@retiredandlovingit - so food was bad…..how was water? Did you make your quota?

@cbabie - hope you’ve had a better day, or that you have a good one if you see this in the morning 😊
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,912 Member
    Options
    @cbabie Good job with the walk, sorry about the stress. LOL yes, I wanted a bunch of dogs but now, I want 1! Thank you.

@Tamevv Great job with the prep and the elliptical! And wise decision about the toast. How did the errands go? Did you stick to your plan? The pasta salad...it was really good. Yeah, I used chickpea pasta so it wasn't too bad in points (4 pts per serving). I feel lethargic after pretty much anything I eat, I don't know what is going on with that. That wrap sounds delicious! Thanks for the brussels sprouts recipe, I love them and this recipe looks easy to do. Garlic would be a nice addition.

@theslightedgeforever Oh no! I'm so sorry. I hope it is a mild case. Yes, you can come get on here and chat with us! Speedy recovery, slightedge.

@RetiredAndLovingIt LOL no worries. I hope you had a good 4th!

Hi all. For the Americans, I hope you had a good 4th of July weekend. I had a good 4th, my husband and I just lazed about and I read a book and drank American beer lol. The dogs go home tonight and I'll be glad to get back to my normal routine. It's really thrown me off having them here. We ordered pizza for dinner last night, not ideal but it is what it is. I will recover.

Water yesterday: 25 oz

My phrase for the year: "Something needs to change…so I will take no crap and eat no crap!"
  • Tamevv
    Options
    Signing off for today. Finished with my second day of meeting all 5 of my goals 👍 (although I did have to do my strength immediately before bed which isn’t ideal but the chart motivated me to get it done.). Didn’t do food or toy shopping, just pottered about together. Dinner was great, and kids passed me all their mushroom and zucchini so I had tonnes of veggies 😁. Has been a good day. Hope yours are all good too.
  • Tamevv
    Options
    Exercise - tick
    Water - a bit behind
    Strength - tick
    Tracking - on track
    Calories - on track (but it’s middle child’s 13th today so more cake on the cards. I usually make them but special ordered his request for today and am really looking forward to sharing his afternoon - no party till after holidays so just is family and “quality time” 😊. Hoping to still keep calories in check for my chart 😊
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @retiredandlovingit You know what I do when I have posts on the other page? I answer all these posts and enter and then go back and do the other page and it will bring that post to the current page. You end up with 2 posts. Or sometimes I start on the other page, enter, and then edit and continue the next page. Glad that you are testing negative.

@tamevv Your brussels sprouts sounds good. Once I get to my daughter's house I will try and cook them. She loves brussels sprouts. It sounds like you are learning to eat very healthily. Thanks for the suggestion on the pillow. Woohoo on getting your 5 goals done. I was like that before I went on vacation. I was using HabitHub and sometimes I found myself doing something right before bed but I got 'er done as they say.

@trooworld This definitely isn't a mild case. I'm hoping I wake up tomorrow feeling better. There's a dog here and my gosh I am not a dog person. I think it's like having a small child around. I'm not a small child kind of person either. ha I had 3 kids and pets but now I just like the quietness of me. Now that the doggies will be gone you can get back to meeting your water goal and your points.

One of these days I will get back to my green dots when I feel well enough to exercise. I resisted chocolate today. I asked my friend to bring me a candy bar yesterday once she was out of isolation and she brought four. So I did not have one today and my plan for tomorrow is just eat half. It is helping me with my feelings of being locked up. I tried journaling. That worked for awhile plus the fact that no one could go out and get anything. lol Today I used the method of "I'll just wait awhile; later I will have some" Now it's come to I'll just wait awhile; tomorrow I will have some". I'm going to divide the half into 5 pieces to make it last longer. I'll isolate one more day and then see how I feel. I'm trying hard not to get my friend's husband sick. He's the last man standing.

• gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    A day late but Happy 4th everyone! Was busy spending time with family. Had a nice phone conversation with the admissions advisor today. Going to apply to that school and check out a few others.
  • Tamevv
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever - i laughed at your comments re: small children - i have three but i dont think im a “small child person” anymore either. Maybe it got beaten out of me working in a primary school for a few years. I am SO over snotty noses 🤢. Im definitely still a dog person though 😁
  • trooworld
    Options
    @Tamevv Great job! And yay for additional veggies. :) Enjoy the family quality time!

@theslightedgeforever Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. And sorry that you are feeling bad and have to put up with a dog lol. Yeah, I like the quietness too. I've never enjoyed children enough to have my own BECAUSE I like the quiet. :) Yes, the doggies are gone and now it's time to do the work. That's a good method to try. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but it's worth a shot.

@gemwolf110 I hope you had a good 4th! Sounds like you did.

Hi all. The dogs are gone, we are left with our girl Daisy who seemed kind of depressed that the others left. Too bad for her lol. Yesterday wasn't so good. It started off okay, I ate the breakfast that I brought but then my boss asked if I wanted to go to lunch with her at the cafe at work so I said yes and bought my lunch. I bought a sandwich and chips. I could have had a salad (but then again, she said her salad didn't taste good so maybe I did myself a favor). Then later in the day, our director said there were cookies in the breakroom so of course, I had to see what that was about. They were just boring frosted cookies from a box from Trader Joe's but I ate 2 anyways...boring and not worth it. Oh, I forgot: one of my coworkers brought me 3/4 of my favorite kind of chocolate bar and I ate half of that. :( I need to get back to business pronto.

My phrase for the year: "Something needs to change…so I will take no crap and eat no crap!"
  • Tamevv
    Options
    Really good health day - even with the 717cal slice of cake I would have been under goal if if I’d delayed my after dinner sweet till later. This will be a specific goal for tomorrow - no sweet after dinner till kids in bed. Despite not getting my pretty pictures I’m okay with the decision to have another snack. I was (and still am actually) a bit hungry after a pretty light dinner, and it was a real decision, not reactionary. I could have kept eating even now, but have cleaned my teeth and come to bed. Very tired. Not sure how tomorrow will go - it is an out-of-routine day with activities im not entirely comfortable with, so will just see how it goes. It’s weigh in tomorrow so I’m hoping a good loss will keep me motivated. Course it could also lead me to relax cause “I’ve earned it”. Who can tell? Will let you know which way it goes 😊

@trooworld - you ate the breakfast you packed - that’s a win 👍. And only half the chocolate bar, so you are showing you can show restraint, just seems you have so many opportunities to be led astray. Kinda glad I’m not a social person - not sure I’d handle all the temptations very well 😏. Maybe you can commit to yourself to pass on options that are generic and not interesting? Remind yourself of other, more delicious ways you can spend those calories. I’m planning to make almond butter cups tomorrow - will post a recipe and photo. Night all.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    Morning all, I have missed a couple of posting days..Routine has been different and I am trying to play catch up. I haven't exercised in a few days and I can tell. Putting that on the priority list today. Eating has been so so, waiting until I am "hungry" before eating so thats a step in the right direction.

short post;
    @Tamevv sounds like you are making great choices in a normal everyday life we all have....keep it up girl!

@trooworld so glad you are back to a 1 dog household..LOL. I think @Tamevv said it right..you did make some good choices among all the other choices...so thumbs up.

@theslightedgeforever hope you guys get over this quickly...I had to laugh when I heard you say you are not a dog or little one person...uh ( hello mom). LOL.

@RetiredAndLovingIt glad you are enjoying your family...and I know you will post when you can..LOL

@gemwolf110 glad you had a good 4th and glad you liked that school enough to apply!!

okay gotta run, will try to get back to a normal checkin again..

cbabie
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever, Ugghhh on you and your DH having Covid. I hope you both recover quickly! How much longer do you have to stay locked up? Good job on not eating all the candy bars at once! :grin:

Hello! I’m just popping on before I forget again. I had a good 4th but my sister and I decided to drink a little but that turned into a lot and while we had a great time but I was so hungover. :# Yesterday we went to see the new Elvis movie and it was so well done! I really recommend it. Today, I took Joe to the urologist, and while he didn’t test positive for a UTI the doc wants to put him on a low-dose antibiotic for 6 weeks to help prevent them. Not sure how I feel about that, but we will go with it for now. I have a staff meeting tonight at 7 pm. Dieting has been fair but much better today. I haven’t worked out in a couple of days and need to get back at that too. Have a good one! :)
  • Tamevv
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hi all. Today went better than expected. Was touch and go for a bit this morning but did my strength exercises then hid upstairs. Was 2pm by the time I went to the kitchen and made myself that wrap I mentioned. I didn’t snack at all today because I knew it was more birthday cake when the kids got home. Success with that too - I’ve cut my piece in half and will have the second piece for dessert. Look at me all in control and planning!! Wooho!

Had a chat to DH this morning about my concerns for the time away - specified that I don’t want to restrict anyone else, but I don’t need to order myself a full meal or sweet each time. I would actually rather just have a small piece of everyone else’s and taste all the different things, instead of having a full plate then wanting to taste as well 😏.

I had a 2kg loss this morning which is huge and validating for the work i put in this week. Definitely want to keep that going. Anyway so I’m currently sitting on 77 cals but realised as I was making dinner that I have not drunk water today!! Totally was just not on my radar. So, yep, I stood there and poured a full two litres in, in the space of an hour. Not the way it’s sposed to be done, but I’m giving myself the picture nonetheless 😊.

So, assuming no dramas this evening, another clean sweep today. And I still have my cake to look forward to 😁

@cbabie - how did the exercise go today? That waiting-till-hungry strategy is awesome, but some days it’s not the physical need that gets to me, the people in my head are like two year olds and just want what they want 😒

@TeresaW1020 - hangovers are the worst! Glad you had a good night though. Interesting about the Elvis movie. I’m not a huge fan but my mum is. Will let her know it was worthwhile. Course, might be forever before it comes out here - we tend to lag behind you guys a lot. Hope the meeting went well.

• trooworld
    Options
    @Tamevv That's great you made a conscious decision about the snack. Yes, I'm glad I ate my breakfast I packed, it is a win. That's true about the chocolate bar, too! Thanks. I usually do pass on things like those cookies. Not sure why I chose to eat them? Almond butter cups sound amazing! Great job with the cake! That was a good idea to talk about your expectations for vacation with your hubby. Congrats on the loss!!! And way to get in your water!

@cbabie That's good you are waiting until you are hungry to eat. Did you get in your exercise yesterday? I'm glad I'm back to 1 dog too lol!

@TeresaW1020 I'm glad you and your sister were able to wind down a bit. Sorry about the hangover. That's odd that they put him on antibiotics even though he doesn't have an infection. I thought you could develop a tolerance for antibiotics? I need to get back to working out, too. I think I will do a workout this morning.

Hi all. Yesterday was okay, no exercise but ate pretty well. I was so tired all day yesterday. I don't know why but it was awful. I almost fell asleep at my desk twice. And when waiting for my hubby to come out from work, I fell asleep in the car! I hope today is less sleepy but at least I work from home today so if I am that tired, I can take a cat nap.

• trooworld
    Options
    I found an interesting article that summarizes the key points in the book, "The Joy Choice" by Dr. Michelle Segar. Basically, diet and exercise, according to the author, is not conducive to the techniques of habit formation in books like "Atomic Habits". It really depends on how consistent your life is whether or not those techniques will work. Segar suggests that we identify the "disrupters" of our habits. Here are the four key types of disrupters that keep people from doing what they know they should:
    - Temptation: this is a little deeper than just I want that thing. “The chocolate cake isn’t tempting you,” she said. “It’s the memory of how you felt while eating chocolate cake that makes you want it.”
    - Rebellion: Pure and simple, we are contrarian beings, and when we are told what to do — even by something like an app that we programmed to remind us of our goals — we have a tendency to push back, and say “%$#@ this!”
    - Accommodation: This is when we allow other people’s needs to take the place of our own desired behavior. “I have been trying to cut down on sweets, but it was her birthday, and she made a cake…”
    - Perfection: This is the big one. If you can’t hit the bullseye, why shoot at all? We decide that since we can’t do a full workout, we’ll just skip it, instead of doing a partial one. If I didn’t write yesterday and broke my streak, no point in picking up the pen today, is there?

Supposedly, when we name these disrupters, we can gain control over them. Here are the steps to take to disrupt the disrupters:
    - Pause. Before you make the decision to do it or not, take a moment. See if you can figure out if any of the four disrupters is the thing that is keeping you from doing the action that you know you should do.
    - Options. Think about what you could do instead, that might be a compromise that still moves you towards your goals. No time for the gym? Maybe you could do a quick YouTube dance workout. Don’t want to say no to the cake? How about asking for a smaller piece. Figure out what you could do instead, and make it a list.
    - Pick. This is where the title of the book (full disclosure: I haven’t read it yet!) comes in. She calls it the “Joy Choice” — picking out the thing that gets you closer to your desired action rather than doing nothing.

I've basically summarized the article but if you want to check it out: https://graymiller.medium.com/how-a-bit-of-pop-psychology-helped-me-make-the-joy-choice-70309fb47745
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    Morning all, I have done nothing positive in forever it feels like until this morning (just now). brushed my teeth..yesterday was so *&%$ that I forgot to brush my teeth even..how do you do that? My head is pounding today, I believe it's the air here today....sneezing releases the pressure I feel..LOL. Well everyone that asked about exercise..NO I have not.. I literally spent all day either looking up how to fix my phone or on the phone with phone carrier (2 hours)....I have have no wifi connect since 7/4...I thought it was the update...they did too...but through many check this check that...finally FACTORY reset...it still doesn't work....and they are now in the process of replacing my phone....it's only about 6 months old. So I am totally out of character and routine...GRUMPY is more the word...do you know how much we depend on our phones? NOT FOR CALLING either...LOL

@trooworld great article...thank you for sharing...and no I haven't exercised and yes I am going to get back to it..LOL. I have lots of errands to run today, so my plan is tomorrow or late tonight. Not drinking enough water either...so just starting over.

@TeresaW1020 So glad you and your sis had fun..sorry about the hangover..so glad DH didn't have UTI..those are awful..

@Tamevv congrats on all the great choices you are making..I laughed at the 2 year old conversation going on in your head...I know I have those.LOL.

Cbabie
  • Tamevv
    Options
    @trooworld - thanks heaps for that summary, very interesting, and sits perfectly with my current headspace. Will definitely do some holiday reading 👍

• Tamevv
    Options
    @cbabie - sounds like you are so frustrated, and understandably so. I would really encourage you to do something active tho - even just a set of squats or marching through the house, or going up the stairs three times in a row. Exercise of any kind is sooo good for lifting mood and changing perspective. Doesn’t matter what or how small it is, just do something. (And then drink a glass of water 😉).