Black Coffee to get you going 😜

Options
Good morning ☕ Get a nice cup of coffee to start the day🌻

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    First cup downed but I just cannot drink mine black. Wish I could, it's another 100 calories a day I could use somewhere else. :)

Have a great day @sugey2002!
  • Hope_bay74
    Hope_bay74 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Enjoying a nice dark roast cup right now. I’m starting to alternate between drinking black to save calories and with milk and sugar.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,855 Member
    Options
    Don't love it black. Love it this way:

zpltkebobi8n.jpg

That's skim (nonfat) milk, frothed with a hand frother. Each big mug is 61 calories, has 6.2g protein, 19.5% of daily calcium, 389mg potassium, 6.5% vitamin D, 2.6% vitamin C. I usually drink 2.

For me, 122 calories for 12.4g protein, over 20% of the day's potassium needs, and the luxury of the froth: Totally worth the calories, to me. (No sweetener: I don't like sweet hot coffee.) YMMV.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Love your mug Ann!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I usually drink my coffee black, but just started a new job and their coffee is decidedly average. Might have to bring in a store of my own... (I note that I still have 2 cups, because I neeeeed coffee...)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nah I need my foo-foo cappuccino every morning. 🤷‍♀️
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Nope. 2% milk and splenda. My husband calls it "polluted" and I couldn't care less.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

zpltkebobi8n.jpg

That's skim (nonfat) milk, frothed with a hand frother. Each big mug is 61 calories, has 6.2g protein, 19.5% of daily calcium, 389mg potassium, 6.5% vitamin D, 2.6% vitamin C. I usually drink 2.

For me, 122 calories for 12.4g protein, over 20% of the day's potassium needs, and the luxury of the froth: Totally worth the calories, to me. (No sweetener: I don't like sweet hot coffee.) YMMV.

Ok, now you've got me checking into hand frothers. :) I love that idea and think I could do away with my morning sugar. Any recommendations? And how much milk do you add to your coffee? Does the froth wither away quickly or stay through the entire drink?
    Hmmm, those are probably stupid questions but as you can tell I'm quite froth illiterate. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,855 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

zpltkebobi8n.jpg

Ok, now you've got me checking into hand frothers. :) I love that idea and think I could do away with my morning sugar. Any recommendations?
    I use the Ninja brand hand frother. @springlering62 turned me onto it in a post here.
    And how much milk do you add to your coffee?
    To the frother's "max fill" line. It's just about 5.5 fluid ounces. The mug's pretty big, so there's a reasonable amount of coffee.
    Does the froth wither away quickly or stay through the entire drink?
    If you microwave, froth, then microwave again to set the foam, it's pretty persistent. Once in a rare while, it mysteriously melts more quickly. 🤷‍♀️
    Hmmm, those are probably stupid questions but as you can tell I'm quite froth illiterate. :)
    Nope, not stupid at all. 🙂
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Can’t, coffee gives me dreadful reflux. Except - I’m experimenting with iced skinny lattes and I might just be able to manage that, as I think the large amount of milk helps. Yet I can’t stand hot lattes, I hate milky coffee usually!
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've hopped onto that protein coffee craze and drink my second cup of the day with unflavored collagen peptides and benefiber. First cup of the day is black. I think the 85 calories worth of protein and fiber are definitely worth making me feel satiated and awake until lunch. I factor it in as part of my breakfast calories, which are usually shy of 600. Call me weird, but I like the silky texture the collagen gives it, and it still tastes like normal black coffee, which I prefer over cream/milk/sugar.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,044 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Sometimes I add a dash of cinnamon to black coffee. I can enjoy French press and drip coffee black - but I loves me an old fashioned cook-top percolator that makes the beans 'stand up straight' and calls for a shot of cream.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Can’t, coffee gives me dreadful reflux. Except - I’m experimenting with iced skinny lattes and I might just be able to manage that, as I think the large amount of milk helps. Yet I can’t stand hot lattes, I hate milky coffee usually!

If you like flavorings in your coffee, you might like Teeccino, an acid-free herbal coffee substitute.

These days I'm making iced coffee with half naturally flavored coffee, half Teeccino, 8 g sugar, and 3 oz milk, specifically:

Some Teeccino flavors I adore; others I find meh, so I highly recommend their sample packs:

https://teeccino.com/collections/samplers
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    I had tons of points racked up on amazon so indulged in the hand milk frother. Thanks for the idea and recommendation Ann. Anything to reduce the amount of sugar in my diet. :)
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @ReenieHJ
    If you can do black or just frothed coffee for a week or two and then try coffee with added sugar, you will find the sugar coffee disgusting. Just MHO. (I used to drink coffee with 2 packs of sweetener at one time.)
  • Niecy1212
    Niecy1212 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to drink flavored coffee black, it is very easy to get used to it. Removing the sweet at the beginning of the day should also help reduce cravings. Pete's Cinnamon Vanilla coffee is amazing, also Toasted Coconut from Walmart, Great Value brand is really good too. Good luck:)
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I've hopped onto that protein coffee craze and drink my second cup of the day with unflavored collagen peptides and benefiber. First cup of the day is black. I think the 85 calories worth of protein and fiber are definitely worth making me feel satiated and awake until lunch. I factor it in as part of my breakfast calories, which are usually shy of 600. Call me weird, but I like the silky texture the collagen gives it, and it still tastes like normal black coffee, which I prefer over cream/milk/sugar.

🤔 hmmm, I’ve enjoyed my 30 oz of black (20 oz caff, 10 oz decaf) since the age of 12 but now I’m considering the protein thing….I can definitely spare the calories. What brand of collagen do you use? (I’m in the US)

• JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Triple cream no sugar. It's the one thing I'm not giving up lol
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    @ReenieHJ
    If you can do black or just frothed coffee for a week or two and then try coffee with added sugar, you will find the sugar coffee disgusting. Just MHO. (I used to drink coffee with 2 packs of sweetener at one time.)

True. I’ve been in Europe for a couple weeks, and coffees here are sweetened with sugar, so I’ve been passing. This morning I found my kaffee mit milch very enjoyable without sweetener, so I guess I’m over the hump.

I’m happy about that. I was starting to feel like I was drowning my day in artificial sweeteners, so I’m glad to be rid of one or two.