Protein makes me sick

Options
I’m never hitting my protein goal but I have to force feed myself high protein foods. I never crave high protein foods anymore, and thinking about it makes my stomach hurt.
I just want to have fruits and oats. I’m so sick of eating meat, dairy, eggs, and processed protein snacks.
But I can’t tone it down either because I need it since I’m frequently doing muscle training.
I did keto for a week but had to stop because it became so difficult on my stomach, even though I was having a lot of fiber to help with hydration/stool.
Why am I having such a hard time eating protein?
Tagged:

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Some people don't do well with high protein. It really doesn't take much to fill your daily needs. Maybe .5 g per pound of lean body mass... which really isn't much. So, if it doesn't agree with you, eat less of it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    There are other ways to get protein...beans, lentils, quinoa...
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Mayne try a different approach. Lentils, nuts, seeds, legumes, tofu, tempeh. I am plant based and have researched how to get enough protein. Also maybe white steamed fish. It is very easy on the gut
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Exactly how much protein are you eating, and what else are you eating? Are you still getting good fats, plenty of veg and fibre?
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I would be inclined to listen to your body, not try to force it. I'm guessing there's something in your protein sources that doesn't agree with you.

I personally can't tolerate meat very well, so I just don't eat it.

Have you tried a more plant-based diet? How do you tolerate legumes?

Just because you lift weights doesn't mean you *have to* consume huge doses of protein, it's not like you won't get any benefit from weight lifting as a result.

My spouse does a lot of weight training and eats the exact same legume-based diet as I do and he gets great results. Could he get better results if he pounded back protein powder and chicken breast? Maybe. Who knows, but he's not exactly suffering.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I also don’t tolerate meat, but I do meet my protein goals. I supplement my protein with shakes as well as eat black beans, chick peas, eggs and a little peanut butter.

I get my main protein from the protein shakes because I’ve struggled with protein my entire life and it works for me. Maybe look outside the animal sources that are making you sick. Gatorade has a protein water that I drink maybe a couple times a week, also.
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I struggle with protein too. I'm going the Mediterranean route this time and the macros are only 15% protein which I find a lot easier to reach.
  • BuellerFerrisBueller
    BuellerFerrisBueller Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What's your daily protein target? Maybe it's too high.