Creating recipe question...

Options
Qbaimee
Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
I dont really know where to put this question, maybe in the tech board? i dont know, but I am not new here.

My question is if I modify one of my recipes that I created and I save it with the modifications, does it put the modified version on all of my prior days that I've eaten that as well? I dont want my numbers to change on any previous days b/c I do go back and look at them for data.

Does that make sense?

Thank you!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    I suspect that the change doesn't affect the past uses, but that's speculation. Maybe someone else does.

If not, this would be easy for you to test, though: Make a fake recipe with just a couple of ingredients in it. Log it. Tomorrow, change the recipe and log it again, then compare the results on the past and current day. You can then delete the logged fake recipe from both days. It should only take a few minutes, then you'll know the answer, can share it here if you want.

It might even work to make the recipe, add it to a past day, change the recipe, and add it to today, then compare . . . but that's not exactly the same scenario as reality, so what I initially suggested is more reliable.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I modify recipes all the time and can confirm that it has no effect on previous food diary entries. The entries will reflect the macros and calories as they exist in that recipe at the moment you logged it.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I too have modified recipes and it hasn’t affected past entries
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    I no longer use the recipe function. I use the “meals” function to enter recipes.

It’s a lot more flexible, and you can copy meals if you change your ingredients.

What I really like is, if I save a meal to (for example) dinner, it posts each individual ingredient into my diary. I can then adjust the individual ingredient without having to change the recipe over in the meal tab.

I’m making Swiss cheese chicken rolls for dinner tonight. I’ll just copy the “meal” straight into my diary. Then, if I use a different brand of cheese, I can easily swap it within my diary. Or, if like last time, I was a wee bit short on Panko crumbs, it was easy to adjust the crumbs in my diary.
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I no longer use the recipe function. I use the “meals” function to enter recipes.

It’s a lot more flexible, and you can copy meals if you change your ingredients.

What I really like is, if I save a meal to (for example) dinner, it posts each individual ingredient into my diary. I can then adjust the individual ingredient without having to change the recipe over in the meal tab.

I’m making Swiss cheese chicken rolls for dinner tonight. I’ll just copy the “meal” straight into my diary. Then, if I use a different brand of cheese, I can easily swap it within my diary. Or, if like last time, I was a wee bit short on Panko crumbs, it was easy to adjust the crumbs in my diary.

OMG that is a great idea. I am ALWAYS changing up ingredients and have to go into the recipe to change it. WOW. why didnt I think of this! Genius!! Thank you.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Qbaimee wrote: »

OMG that is a great idea. I am ALWAYS changing up ingredients and have to go into the recipe to change it. WOW. why didnt I think of this! Genius!! Thank you.

That’s why I love these boards. There’s always a !!!!!!!! moment waiting to happen.