New and in need of support!

Options
tss_rn
tss_rn Posts: 1 Member
Hi I am new to this and wanting to try a keto lifestyle. I am female and over 50 and struggling with weight :(

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, @tss_rn, and assuming you’re an RN, thanks as well for all you’ve presumably been through the past two or three years.

I started at 56, and lost nearly 100. I didn’t do any special diets, other than a brief three or four week fling with a very simple elimination diet suggested by my doctor to help with the awful GERD and joint pain. That was enough to get me on my feet and get me paying attention to what I was eating.

I haven’t endured the angst of learning new diets and/or cooking/shopping skills for diets like Keto, Mediterranean, etc etc.

Basically it’s been the revelation of counting calories, realizing how much (HOW MUCH!!!!) I was over-eating, and learning to eat proper servigg by sizes, which foods gave me more bang for my calorie bucks, trying to stay within my calorie goals, and adding exercise to the mix. (Exercise doesn’t help you lose weight. You “buy back” a few calories via exercise but the other benefits of exercise pay off in better mobility, more energy, flexibility etc etc etc)

Read the boards religiously. They were my salvation: helpful users, reading inspiration and motivational posts from others.

Find some other users you like and ask the friend them. Good friends are active, and will post food ideas, frustrations, wind, fails. You’ll realize successful losers aren’t superhuman. They’re just hacking away at it like you are.

You’ll also learn new habits and how to settle down into maintenance, once you reach your goal.

Engagement here = Success.

I do not wish luck. There’s no luck in weight loss. It’s simply attention and sticking with it, but it does get easier and easier.

Much success to you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,190 Member
    Options
    There's no one right approach that's universally perfect for every single person, but this is what I did to lose 50+ pounds in a bit less than a year, and stay at a healthy weight for 6+ years since:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

It's not inherently a keto plan, but the approach definitely can be done with keto macro allocations.
    It's essentially a "gradually remodel your eating to find sustainable, happy new habits" method.

Might not suit you, but it's one option.

Wishing you success!
  • RockingRican
    RockingRican Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Over 50 and struggling as well.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Over 50 and struggling as well.

Struggling with what exactly, or in what way, @RockingRican? If you can be more specific, folks might be able to help.
  • ataylo1712
    ataylo1712 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I was doing really good last fall and lost 10 pounds. Christmas came and went and since then, I have slowly gained 15 pounds. Help!!! I am looking for a community of people for support encouragement and well as good recipes but I'm not sure how to find the group. Any suggestions?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    ataylo1712 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat. I was doing really good last fall and lost 10 pounds. Christmas came and went and since then, I have slowly gained 15 pounds. Help!!! I am looking for a community of people for support encouragement and well as good recipes but I'm not sure how to find the group. Any suggestions?

Talk a look in the "Motivation" or "Challenges" part of the Community. You'll find posts in those areas that are either long-running threads, or monthly new threads for the same group (like the "Women 50+ for XXXX" where XXXX is the month name), or recruiting people to join groups in the MFP groups feature that may have teams that do fun competitions of various types to motivate weight loss. You can read a little of some different posts in those areas, get an idea what their "culture" is, what the joining rules are (if any), and maybe join in on one of those.

That's one general option for finding a group. Wishing you luck picking one that works: If the first one you try isn't a good pick, drop it and try another. Betting you'll find something suitable to your needs/personality.