New and so far...rudeness

Options

Replies

• MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Some people forget that they were new here once. We've all asked questions and then thought 'D'oh, I should've searched to see if it's already been asked.' but some people just act all superior and occasionally downright rude. Just ignore them and take advantage of the many genuine and helpful people.

I've found loads of support on here (and I'm not normally a person who does the whole 'group hug/ support ' thang!)

Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    Sorry to hear your bad experience. Mine has been completely opposite. Anyway, welcome to MFP. Good luck reaching your goals.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    There are bad apples in every bunch unfortunately. I agree with the others, most of us are here to be supportive and get motivation. I am on here everyday and seek out positive threads and have learned SO much from SO many. I stay away from the grumps and misers. I am not here for a social life, but a sincere and genuine attempt at bettering my physical body through re-training my mind!
    We're not all bad I promise:)
  • saraboling
    Options
    What happened?
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What I have learned about MFP is you choose the experience you want to have with it.

You can choose to surround yourself with friends that are here only for the sole purpose of weightless and motivation... which is positive and helpful but also sometimes boring.

Or you can choose to dive head first into the drama. Which can be fun. It will also suck up your entire day at times.

There's a lot of people that have been on MFP for a long time and have established friendships and forum agendas. Don't let it get to you. It's all in good fun. You can choose to acknowledge them or not.

Either way, you'll find your niche. There are quite a variety of people here.

Oh, and welcome. :-)
  • divainprogress2012
    Options
    Some things u just have to ignore!! Dont let that discourage you or stop you from getting to where u need to be. Feel free to add me!! :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    "Dieting is the practice of eating food in a regulated fashion to achieve or maintain a controlled weight."

MFP is a tool to track your goals and find support. And sometimes...a kick in the pants. That's right. I said pants.
  • newmrswood
    Options
    I read the post and the way people acted was ridiculous! You were asking a question and were just looking for an answer. How is anyone going to learn something without asking a question? That is the first time I have ever seen people be mean on here. I promise there are a lot more nice people then that
  • BrookelynJ
    Options
    Thanks everybody!! :happy:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    This is the first time in my life I've been successful at weight loss all on my own - but it's not technically on my own, since my MFP family supports me. They will be harsh if they have to, and I appreciate a cold slap in the face some times. You just gotta find the group that gives you the kind of slap you prefer.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This is the first time in my life I've been successful at weight loss all on my own - but it's not technically on my own, since my MFP family supports me. They will be harsh if they have to, and I appreciate a cold slap in the face some times. You just gotta find the group that gives you the kind of slap you prefer.
    Don't lie.. you like your hair pulled! :bigsmile:
  • nedezdha
    Options
    Brooklyn, Some people suck.

Really, that's just it.

HUGS!!!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Welcome

Don't let the few that jump on threads scare you away.

MFP is full of helpful,kind and supportive people.

Like any site there are always a group of wise a$$es that feel the need to pounce and find fault.

Good luck on your journey.

K

^this
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Probably the HCG forum Brooklyn posted. Some people got a bit snappy on there when Brooklyn asked about it.

Ahhh, yeah on HCG topics people are so divided. That's a hot button topic.
  • sbeisel1
    Options
    WOW, sorry about the bad vibes. Im new too, I dont usually go to the message boards people can be so mean.

There are always rotten apples in every bunch, dont let them get you down.

I would be happy to be support for you if you are willing to reciprocate.

I will never be discouraging or rude we are all trying to acomplish somthing that is difficult and stressfull and if we stick together we can acheive our goals.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at the specific thread yet, but I'm going to make some assumptions knowing it was an hcg post.

I don't need friends that blow sunshine and butterflies up my butt. If I ask if something will work, I want the truth, not necessarily what I was hoping to hear. I would like some brutal honesty and I'm guessing that's what you got- hCG is a load of hooey!

Anyway, forums require a slightly thick skin. If you post, people are going to jump in with their opinions and they won't always align with yours. Personally I enjoy a good online row from time to time. If that's not your cup of tea, keep forum activity to a minimum and stick with your friends.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Don't lie.. you like your hair pulled! :bigsmile:

Well, yeah, but that has nothing to do with weight loss!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am from the south so I really don't even know how to be rude! You can add me as a friend if you wish.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new too and I've noticed that there is a lot of nastiness on the forum. I try to avoid it - although sometimes I take a peek (like now).

MFP as a TOOL seems to work quite well. I'd suggest avoiding the forum OR being VERY selective about what you read. Definitely don't open the forums on a day where you're feeling down or discouraged. This place is 50/50. Either you'll get some helpful advice or you'll have people mocking you and tearing you down (this is based on posts I've READ, not posts I've made, btw).

Anyway, don't give up on the MFP tool... maybe take a break from the forums.
  • Statsol
    Statsol Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think the nature of posting messages with text makes things seem colder. If someone told you they thought something was not a good idea in person, it would come across differently than it reads. I do believe that the majority of people here are always trying to be helpful.