High Fiber recipes?

Options
emgracewrites
emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
Anyone have any recipes out there that are high in fiber? I’ve been told that I need a lot more in my diet and I’m looking for some inspiration. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Jen_Zarello
    Jen_Zarello Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, unfortunately, but I did have the same problem and I've started adding Chia seeds whenever I can. You can add them to almost anything. Hope this helps some!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No recipes specifically, but anything with legumes or lentils...whole grains like oats and whole grain/seed breads...eat your veg and fruit.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    LaBanderita carb balance tortillas are very high in fiber, few carbs, and lower calories. Also, Extreme Wellness tortillas.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    https://www.fullplateliving.org/

Signed up for their e-mails for the recipes and insights
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I agree with sarajohnssonsj.

I personally add wheat bran or psyllium husk to my cereal every morning. An apple a day does wonders too (which I also put on my cereal).
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats, which are best made with chia seeds added to improve texture, and if you want to bump up protein while you are at it use a bit of fat free greek yogurt. Use cinnamon and/or vanilla extract to flavor instead of using sugar/honey/maple syrup to cut calories.

If you are in a rush in the mornings it may sound weird, but it tastes good … skip the chia seeds and make the overnight oats with cold brew/ice coffee and a banana then blend to make a smoothie that covers all your bases at once. It is not pretty looking, so use a mug but you can eat breakfast and have coffee all in one and save calories and fat on the sweetener and milk for the coffee.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    This is my recipe for almond/flax bread.

The increased flaxseeds and black sesame seeds add fiber. If you add more flax or more seeds, I’d add a bit more water so the dough is not too thick.
    It’s a very dense bread. Also good for croutons and stuffing. ;) I use a lot of variations in the herbs.

• 2.5 cups almond flour
    • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
    •. 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
    • 4 oz olive oil or fat of choice
    •. 4 oz of water -
    • 8 whole eggs (room temperature)
    • fresh Rosemary to taste
    • sage “”
    • Parsley “”
    • 1.5 tsp baking powder

350 45-50 min

I also second chia pudding.

Chia, vanilla, milk of choice, sweetener of choice. Instead fiber pudding. I also do chia dragonfruit pudding.
  • BlondeDragon123
    BlondeDragon123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to add ground flax seed powder to things like pumpkin muffins, oatmeal pancakes, smoothies. Pinterest has a lot of ideas too! I also use Metamucil premium blend fiber drink at night to add more fiber. It has stevia and not sugar or aspartame in it. Good luck.
  • Bellawow
    Bellawow Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    My Cardiologist gave me this recipe. I have used it for years and it works. see my additions for flavor:
    --- 1/2 Atkins shake cold about 5.5 oz (my addition)
    --- 6 oz unsweetened Almond Milk (my addition)
    1 tsp glucomannan / Konjac root
    1 tsp psyllium husk powder
    1 tsp acacia fiber
    1 tsp inulin powder
    --- 1 tsp collagen powder (my addition so optional)
    --- Ice (my addition so optional)
    Large glass of liquid - To drink afterwards
    Direction:
    Add all ingredients before ice Mix in a bullet or high speed blender. Add the ice and blend again. Drink down quickly. Follow up with a large glass of any liquid. You will notice a change in your digestion and bowels in less than a week.
  • Xierrax
    Xierrax Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Anything plant-based, especially beans and legumes as mentioned above. Beans are a personal favourite of mine. I think bean tacos are one of the easiest recipes for me, and such a (healthy) comfort food!
    Bean Tacos
    Ingredients
    1 can of beans (black beans or kidney beans)
    1/2 onion
    fresh coriander
    tortillas
    spices (I usually do salt, cumin, paprika, and turmeric)

Method
    Dice your onion and heat in a pan, once translucent add your beans and mash them into a paste. Sometimes I add a bit of the bean water if the mix becomes too dry. Add spices for seasoning, and chopped coriander; then set aside. In a clean pan, heat up your tortilla. Once warm, add bean mixture to one half of the wrap, then fold over and flatten by pressing down. Flip and cook evenly on each side, a few minutes depending on how crunchy you'd like your tortilla to be. Done!

Sometimes I add cheese into the tortilla as well for comfort, though this is optional. It's so quick and easy! Often, I pair this with homemade guacamole which is literally just an avocado mixed with lime and salt. But if you want to add extra fibre and texture, I sometimes also add some chickpeas or white beans into my guac - this is extra fibre too!
  • Phverica1
    Phverica1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’m working on the same thing trying to bump up fiber. I have been adding flax to my smoothies, try to get a salad a day, also mission carb balance tortillas have lots of fiber. My nutritionist recommended the Fiber Fueled cookbook, it’s great, all recipes are plant based though so you have to be into that.
  • Xierrax
    Xierrax Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @Phverica1 Have you tried the fibre fuelled book/28-day plan? Would love to hear your thoughts if so. Just finished reading the book and I'm about to start the 28 days, though I must say I've been taken aback a bit by the long ingredients list required for week 1. Seems expensive.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal:
    40g rolled and/or quick oats
    2 tbsp 0 calorie Toasted Marshmallow syrup
    16.5 g walnuts
    64.5 g chopped medjool dates
    2 tbsp Planet Oat oat milk
    about 1/8 tsp cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg & cloves
    splash of vanilla extract if you want

460 cal, 80g carbs, 14g fat, 8g protein, 11g fiber. Absolutely phenomenal. Cook the oats in saucepan with 1 cup water, and incrementally add all the ingredients. You can mess around with the amount of nuts and dates. Sometimes I only use 1 date. Can get this down below 400 cal pretty easily.

Also, beans have a lot of fiber. So. Much. Fiber.
  • ctreprtrs
    ctreprtrs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato. Scoop out the inside and mash it with chick peas and spices you like; curry powder etc. Add chopped spinach. Squeeze of lemon. Bake or microwave. Serve with sriracha and teaspoon of Greek Yogurt. I think there’s a recipe for this on MFP too.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Roasted acorn squash is loaded with fiber. Roasted in the oven on 350deg is tasty. I can eat a whole squash for 133 kcal/10gmFiber and this boost gets me a Gold Star for daily fiber. As does rasberries, blackberries, pomegranate arils. (Aim for those fruits with the highest fiber.)

If you like sprouted oats, soak your oats the night before and add a little bit of Amaranth along with your salt & cinnamon. Then in the morning add your blackberries, rasberries, pomegranate arils. You'll get a nice start in fiber grams to your day. I use 20gm oats (1/2 serving cuz I love me some eggs, too) and get a nice 8gm fiber right off the bat when I add in just a little bit of fruit. Fresh fruit seems to mold super fast on me, so I just buy the frozen. Lasts longer, easy to use, and frankly comes out cheaper than fresh.

I aim for 21-25 gm fiber a day and usually achieve this. sometimes bounces up to 30gm if I add in something tasty like a yam.

If you put your recipes in to the recipe builder, you can see your macro units and then adjust/add another food item to get your fiber up for that particular recipe. For me, simpler cooking is better on fiber.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Fiber snack recipe that I put frozen into cooking hot cereal along with a few berries;

*157gm frozen red rasberries, thawed and include the juice
    6.6 fl oz Amazin' Prune juice, light
    81 g whole grain Fiber One cereal (dry)...not the flakes...use the cereal that looks like sticks

Add all ingredients, stir to marry. portion out into ice cube trays.

16oz recipe weight. Freeze in ice cube trays, about .8oz per cube; a little over 1 tray.

Add 1 cube to your hot cereal as its cooking. it will dissolve right into it.

23kcal/7CHO/0F/1PRO/3Fiber

*I use this same recipe with Blackberries, too.
  • nationalvillage3215
    Options
    Carb Counter Tortilla Burrito made with fat free refried beans.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any vegetarian recipe from Budget Bytes. Plus then you will save a ton of money.