Recipe Swap?

Options
pixiechick8321
pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
Hi all,

In the interest of broadening my culinary skills and eating more diverse foods, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a recipe swap with me?

The idea is that I would send you a dinner to make and you would send me one - complete meal, homemade, healthy. We would then report back with how it went.

Anyone interested?

Replies

• rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Hi PixieChick I am interested in Recipe Swap:flowerforyou:
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'm interested :)
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm interested
  • rmartin72
    Options
    Would you like to add me to your friends list ? Pleasure to meet everyone:):) I'm Robert
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Perhaps there's a way to make a group event out of this?
    I'm not sure how to go about that though, but I think it could be for a fun and good idea.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This sounds fun!! Count me in!! (And feel free to add me as a friend!)
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would like to do it! My mom does some sort of recipe swap every year around the holidays, but it is a little different. They mail recipes and the person that receives it mails them one back and mails one to 5 other people. Something like that. . .Quite a few have replied so maybe we can make it a group thing. . .
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I'd be willing to set up some sort of group-swap if people are interested. Not to steal your post :X
  • pixiechick8321
    Options
    In order to do a group swap - I think we'd all have to be friends to see diary and hold accountable?

We can try something like that...

Or we can keep this post going and post one recipe, everyone tries it and reports back, then the next person posts...?

If you want to do the first, feel free to add me as a friend and we can try that.

If you want to do the second, here's a meal for this week (I think 1-2 per week is a good start):

1/4 cup brown rice (dry) - add to 1/2 cup water in a pot and bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, covered. Turn off heat and allow to sit 10 more minutes.
    3-4 oz meat - cook with spices like paprika, black pepper, herbs sauteed until finished
    chop celery, carrots, tomato, onion (or combo you like) and add to a pan sprayed with cooking oil, with harder ones first and cook to desired softness
    mix veggies and rice and plate
    put meat on top of rice
    cut up fresh fruit (strawberries, raspberries big in our store right now) and put in a small bowl, drizzle with honey
    add a glass of water (season with lemon juice if desired)

There's a healthy (I think) dinner!
  • rmartin72
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe, I will try it out this week. :smile:
    Please feel free to add me to each of your friends list.
  • khaleesinoodlebelly
    Options
    I am in! I was just thinking I need to plan cooking
  • rmartin72
    Options
    Chicken Tacos with Charred Tomatoes

Charring tomatoes in a hot, dry skillet makes them smoky and flavorful; in combination with fresh herbs and spices, they elevate this dish from “everyday” to “ta-da!” Serve the tacos with reduced-fat sour cream.

Active Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes
    Nutrition Profile
    Ingredients
    2 plum tomatoes, cored
    8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
    1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
    2 teaspoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
    2 scallions, chopped
    6 small corn tortillas, heated (see Tip)

Preparation
    Heat a medium skillet over high heat until very hot. Add tomatoes and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until charred on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise; squeeze to discard seeds. Remove cores and chop the remaining pulp and skin.
    Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and heat over high heat until very hot. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is browned and no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
    Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add lime juice, the chicken and tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro and scallions. Divide the chicken mixture among tortillas. Serve with lime wedges.
  • pixiechick8321
    Options
    inskydiamonds: If you want to do a more organized method than what I just suggested that would be fantastic, otherwise we now have two recipes for people to try out!

Rmartin: that sounds great and easy to modify for people with special dietary needs (ie, tofu or beans instead of chicken)

So if you are participating, you have two meals with chicken (or pork, or beans, or tofu, or beef) to make, let us know what you think!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Pixie, I think the 2 recipe suggestions are great!
    I agree we should all be friends though. And then maybe in a week 2 more recipe suggestions go up? I'm not sure. Or actually, maybe I could create a list of who's going to be involved and what dates they are responsible for sharing a recipe or something, with still 2 a week.

I already have my meal plan for this week fixed, but I'm going to be adding the two in this post into next week's meal plan. And I'll think up some way to organize this! Google documents works well for keeping people connected, so maybe I can post the recipes on there and share the link to it with you guys here. And a list.. Or something.

But yes! We should all be friends!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    ooh.. And maybe every week should get a new post? Like
    Recipe Swap Week 1!
    Recipe Swap Week 2!

That way we could attract new people who want to swap recipes and it would keep it more organized.
  • rmartin72
    Options
    Thank you I honestly feel this really great Pixie, I'm really glad you started this. I have never ate tofu before.
  • pixiechick8321
    Options
    insky,

I like the google docs idea, to keep them organized in one place...

And I like the weekly post, that will help add new people and keep it fresh.

rmartin - tofu is great, just make sure you season it and drain the water before using...I also like it to bulk up my eggs (Scrambled) in the morning and I have a really yummy chocolate mousse pie recipe with tofu!

insky, please let me know what I can do to help, otherwise if you want to kind of take over that would be awesome ;-)
  • ElyzahMoore
    ElyzahMoore Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Count me in please!
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Nice job Insky!!