Inputting calories a chore?

Options
2»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes it's a chore when I'm cooking a meal to have to measure/weigh/track every little ingredient that goes in and then figure up servings etc. Gets easier with time. Creating commonly eaten meals and recipes helps and makes things easier.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged anything in ages, but when I first started it was a chore for sure, but it got a lot easier with experience. After a month or so I had a ton of recipes built in the recipe builder and most of my routine foods were in my favorites so I'd only have to go search if I was eating something completely new.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I don’t look at it that way…it’s a routine rather than a chore, just like showering or brushing your teeth it’s something I need to do to maintain my health.

As others have said, the more you do it, the easier it gets. You populate the ‘Recents’ list (though I wish that were longer since I eat a huge variety of food so stuff does tend to drop off that list)…you create Recipes and update exact amounts as you go along…it does get easier.

Either way, it’s a choice. Take the few minutes to track your calories or guess and freestyle your intake 🤷‍♀️. For me, as an older, very short, petite female tracking is the easiest (only) way to keep on top of my weight control.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    It's only a chore if you're not that serious about doing it. Gotta change your train of thought.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am fortunate that I eat the same food many days which probably helps somewhat (I use the Lifesum app). It is a chore, I find myself doing it at the end of the day usually. I'm about 600 days in a row which probably means although it's a chore it's something I consider worth doing.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    No - on the days I meal prep or make something from scratch, I MIGHT - MAYBE - AT MOST - spend a whopping 5 minutes plugging in everything (all ingredients/weights/etc).

On the other days, thanks to being able to just copy a food/meal/whatever, it MIGHT be a minute's worth of thumbing on my phone.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I’ve always found logging on the computer a chore. It reminds me of being at work. So I log with pen and paper. When in losing mode (I’m maintaining right now) my food diary stays out on the counter next to my food scale. I do use the computer to do research but the recording is done by hand. My logging is just a bunch of crude lists with numbers. Only takes minutes.
  • M4r3z
    M4r3z Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Not so much a chore but I do forget sometimes. Now that we can scan, when I pack my lunch for work I will also scan it then too. Just keep at it, if you miss a day or two here and there and can’t add it for one reason or another, don’t sweat it. Just continue the journey.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    no not now initially but it gets easier as you add more over time.