Premier Protein shakes, quick oats and quiting whole milk

Options
I've been struggling to lose 20 lbs for over 3 yrs now. I use MFP on and off but have had most success with the app so I am committed to making it a lifestyle change until I can come up with a good mix of daily foods on repeat where I won't need to count calories.

I usually drink 2 full cups of whole milk a day. I make spicy English tea with 1 cup water. 1 cup whole milk, 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp honey. A friend on WW told me that's basically over her daily allowed points. I'm going to quit whole milk altogether and just drink herbal teas.

I also never hit my daily protein or fiber goals. I'm thinking of adding quick oats as my daily breakfast meal but can't seem to find info on whether the steel cut ones are a better fiber source if I can stick with the quick oats. I make them with a cup of sugar free almond milk, add a banana and about a tsp of maple syrup (I have a sweet tooth). I also take about 2 tsp of metamucil daily.

Protein-wise, I like the premier protein shakes caramel flavored. I'm aiming for a shake a day and I also take protein collagen peptides. I'm hesitant about the shakes as I'm wondering if I shouldn't just try whole food sources like beans and legumes?

I'm open to any advice on how to make some lifetime changes. I'm debating if I should look into consulting with a nutritionist but am not sure how much that would cost or if they are worth it.

TIA!

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,571 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Can't you switch from whole milk to 1% or whatever the equivalent is called for you? It's just over half the calories. I use it exclusively for my oatmeal, cereal, etc., and don't miss whole milk at all. If you're in Britain I see the equivalent might be semi-skimmed milk, which is higher fat than the 1% we get in the US, but better than whole/full.

Protein shakes are fine. I like those ones you mentioned, though my staple is whey powder, usually the isolate if I can get a deal. I do 50/50 water and milk, and if it's post workout add a banana. Do you really need the banana and syrup with the breakfast? Totally understandable if you need that for your daily activity, but if it's just out of habit, there's some savings to be had.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,796 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I use skimmed milk in my coffee, frothed with a hand frother, and figure it's a good, calorie-efficient protein source. A tablespoon each of sugar and honey are fine if you love them, but don't bring any notable nutrition for their calories (probably over 100 calories there just in sweetener).

I think the WW point system can mislead, potentially. They use the points not only to influence calorie intake, but also to try to move people toward more nutrient-dense foods. That's a good goal, but I feel like hiding the details behind points doesn't allow each person to make personalized, nuanced decisions in the way that logging on MFP (even temporarily) can.

An example: I, too, like my oatmeal slightly sweetened, beyond the thawed frozen mixed berries I always add. I used to put in a tablespoon of all-fruit spread, but MFP logging helped me realize that blackstrap molasses (if I pick the brand carefully) had a nice jolt of potassium/iron/calcium in it, and I like the flavor, so that was a win, for me. I won't speak for you, but while I like bananas mildly, they're a bit caloric to use in my daily mix of foods, given the other things more important to me to fit in for either taste or nutrition reasons.

I'm not saying you should do any of that specific stuff: I'm saying it as an example of the value of logging, reviewing one's diary, and thinking about personal tradeoffs.

To me, personalizing tactics is key to long-term success. Each of us has different preferences, strengths, and challenges to work within. I look at the goal as balancing reasonable calorie intake, nutrition, satiation, tastiness, practicality, affordability, social connection through sharing food, and that sort of thing. Personally, I think life is too short to eat foods I dislike. Fortunately, I like a wide enough range of foods that I can work that out. YMMV.

Shakes vs. whole foods is one of those personal things, IMO. I don't use them, because I don't find them tasty/satisfying, and I can reach reasonable protein levels (100g+ daily at 5'5", mid-120s pounds) without them, even as a vegetarian. BTW, I got to that point by that process of reviewing my MFP diary, tweaking my food mix until that fell into place via my normal eating patterns. It works. However, many people here find it easier to use shakes to meet protein goals, and protein adequacy is quite important.

I don't know where you are, but if you decide to consult a professional, make sure it's a degreed, qualified person. Here in much of the US, anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist" without any kind of licensure, formal education, experience or credentials. Here, it's a "registered dietitian (RD)" that people would want to find. Terminology can be different elsewhere.

I do think most reasonably intelligent people can do a pretty good job of dialing in adequate nutrition by themselves, when logging food, using diary review, gradually revising eating patterns, and gradually learning more about nutrition alongside all that. We don't need to be instantly perfect, as long as not starting with a serious health challenge or diagnosed nutritional deficiency. We can chip away at the eating patterns over a few weeks/months, make better patterns a habit gradually.

Best wishes!
  • shirowakirio
    shirowakirio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW, I use skimmed milk in my coffee, frothed with a hand frother, and figure it's a good, calorie-efficient protein source. A tablespoon each of sugar and honey are fine if you love them, but don't bring any notable nutrition for their calories (probably over 100 calories there just in sweetener).

I think the WW point system can mislead, potentially. They use the points not only to influence calorie intake, but also to try to move people toward more nutrient-dense foods. That's a good goal, but I feel like hiding the details behind points doesn't allow each person to make personalized, nuanced decisions in the way that logging on MFP (even temporarily) can.

An example: I, too, like my oatmeal slightly sweetened, beyond the thawed frozen mixed berries I always add. I used to put in a tablespoon of all-fruit spread, but MFP logging helped me realize that blackstrap molasses (if I pick the brand carefully) had a nice jolt of potassium/iron/calcium in it, and I like the flavor, so that was a win, for me. I won't speak for you, but while I like bananas mildly, they're a bit caloric to use in my daily mix of foods, given the other things more important to me to fit in for either taste or nutrition reasons.

I'm not saying you should do any of that specific stuff: I'm saying it as an example of the value of logging, reviewing one's diary, and thinking about personal tradeoffs.

To me, personalizing tactics is key to long-term success. Each of us has different preferences, strengths, and challenges to work within. I look at the goal as balancing reasonable calorie intake, nutrition, satiation, tastiness, practicality, affordability, social connection through sharing food, and that sort of thing. Personally, I think life is too short to eat foods I dislike. Fortunately, I like a wide enough range of foods that I can work that out. YMMV.

Shakes vs. whole foods is one of those personal things, IMO. I don't use them, because I don't find them tasty/satisfying, and I can reach reasonable protein levels (100g+ daily at 5'5", mid-120s pounds) without them, even as a vegetarian. BTW, I got to that point by that process of reviewing my MFP diary, tweaking my food mix until that fell into place via my normal eating patterns. It works. However, many people here find it easier to use shakes to meet protein goals, and protein adequacy is quite important.

I don't know where you are, but if you decide to consult a professional, make sure it's a degreed, qualified person. Here in much of the US, anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist" without any kind of licensure, formal education, experience or credentials. Here, it's a "registered dietitian (RD)" that people would want to find. Terminology can be different elsewhere.

I do think most reasonably intelligent people can do a pretty good job of dialing in adequate nutrition by themselves, when logging food, using diary review, gradually revising eating patterns, and gradually learning more about nutrition alongside all that. We don't need to be instantly perfect, as long as not starting with a serious health challenge or diagnosed nutritional deficiency. We can chip away at the eating patterns over a few weeks/months, make better patterns a habit gradually.

Best wishes!

It never occurred to me to use molasses in the oatmeal. I have the Grandma molasses. What kind of oatmeal do you use?

Any chance you can share how you hit your daily protein goals on average (foods/meals)? I have high cholesterol and have been trying to avoid eggs. I'm at a point where I want to change my eating habits and am trying to see what others do to tweak towards a lifestyle change.
  • shirowakirio
    shirowakirio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can't you switch from whole milk to 1% or whatever the equivalent is called for you? It's just over half the calories. I use it exclusively for my oatmeal, cereal, etc., and don't miss whole milk at all. If you're in Britain I see the equivalent might be semi-skimmed milk, which is higher fat than the 1% we get in the US, but better than whole/full.

Protein shakes are fine. I like those ones you mentioned, though my staple is whey powder, usually the isolate if I can get a deal. I do 50/50 water and milk, and if it's post workout add a banana. Do you really need the banana and syrup with the breakfast? Totally understandable if you need that for your daily activity, but if it's just out of habit, there's some savings to be had.

I really need to cut back on sugar. Today I did use just a banana with the quick oats and realized I don't need any other sweeteners. I'm going to try molasses instead as PP suggested and see if that will help.

I'm in the US, I really don't like how watered down skim and 2% milk taste which is why am thinking of just quiting milk altogether. But I need to add other sources of protein and calcium and see if that will help with my weight loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,796 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Best wishes!

It never occurred to me to use molasses in the oatmeal. I have the Grandma molasses. What kind of oatmeal do you use?

I use plain old-fashioned rolled oats, and microwave them. That really doesn't matter, though. There's no universally right way to eat. It's individual.

Instead, pick a kind of oats that works for you. Fix them some kind of way you think you'll like. Log them. Look at the results: Does the meal fit your calorie needs? Did it taste good? Will it help you to meet your all-day nutrition goals? Did it keep you full? Etc.

Based on what you learn, either keep eating the oatmeal exactly that way, or change something to improve that meal for you, based on your needs and tastes. Keep doing that with meals. You'll learn how to eat in a way that works for you.

Some people like to think what to put in a meal or day, and log it before they cook/eat it, and adjust it before they cook/eat to hit calories, be reasonable nutrition, etc. The tastiness and fillingness would still need to be evaluated after you eat it, of course.
    Any chance you can share how you hit your daily protein goals on average (foods/meals)? I have high cholesterol and have been trying to avoid eggs. I'm at a point where I want to change my eating habits and am trying to see what others do to tweak towards a lifestyle change.

Dietary cholesterol doesn't affect blood cholesterol much, for most people. Reaching a healthy weight, and limiting saturated fats tend to be more important, among other things. (I used to have high cholesterol. Since weight loss, I don't.)

Here's (photo below) a fairly reasonable day of eating from when I was losing weight, which was back in 2015. Again, I'm not saying you should eat like this, because this is me, and you're you. Among other differences, I'm vegetarian. That doesn't matter, there's nothing special about vegetarianism for weight loss (in fact, it could make weight loss/nutrition harder). I was vegetarian when I got fat/obese, and stayed that way for decades. It's a tangent.

I think my goal was around 1200 calories at the time (too low, BTW, corrected soon after), but I had logged calories from weight training and rowing that day so my calorie goal was higher. (I didn't particularly add new exercises while losing weight. I was already active while obese, kept doing much the same stuff.)

In simple English, this was breakfast of peanut butter on a large cracker-like thing, with milk on the side; oatmeal with the add-ins listed for lunch; and what looks like a salad or maybe scrambled eggs for dinner. (I know you want to reduce eggs. I don't eat that many eggs, but happened to eat some that day.) I can't tell you when I ate those things under snacks, because that was too long ago to remember. I ended up with somewhat higher fat, somewhat lower fiber than I'd prefer, on that particular day.

xd86ee4a23qe.png

If you want to see what I eat routinely, send me a friend request: My food diary is open to friends, and I still log most days. Keep in mind that I'm now eating at maintenance calories, which are substantially higher. I've also increased my average exercise some, now - not for weight/calorie reasons, but for fun, pretty much.