Phentermine and Topomax

Options
Has anyone tried these together as a cheaper alternative to Qsymia? And does
It really help you lose weight ?

Replies

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    In a world of quick fixes and temporary bandaids for weight loss, they can put you on a pill. They'll see you every three months for the rest of your life. Or...we can give you all of the tools for weight loss and we may see you for the rest of your life.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    In a world of quick fixes and temporary bandaids for weight loss, they can put you on a pill. They'll see you every three months for the rest of your life. Or...we can give you all of the tools for weight loss and we may see you for the rest of your life.

One of the problems to drug therapy as a solution to obesity is that "they" *cannot* see you every three months for the rest of your life. The nature of current drugs is such that they can only be used as short term tools.

The question then becomes whether these short term tools are useful enough in a particular case to counterbalance the dangers they bring to the table.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

One of the problems to drug therapy as a solution to obesity is that "they" *cannot* see you every three months for the rest of your life. The nature of current drugs is such that they can only be used as short term tools.

The question then becomes whether these short term tools are useful enough in a particular case to counterbalance the dangers they bring to the table.

Agreed, but some are using it long term.

Kristina H. Lewis, Heidi Fischer, Jamy Ard, Lee Barton, Daniel H. Bessesen, Matthew F. Daley, Jay Desai, Stephanie L. Fitzpatrick, Michael Horberg, Corinna Koebnick, Caryn Oshiro, Ayae Yamamoto, Deborah R. Young, David E. Arterburn. Safety and Effectiveness of Longer‐Term Phentermine Use: Clinical Outcomes from an Electronic Health Record Cohort. Obesity, 2019; 27 (4): 591 DOI: 10.1002/oby.22430

Withdrawal? You bet. @PAV8888

"Lewis and her team analyzed data from the electronic health records of 13,972 adults who were prescribed phentermine for short-term use versus longer-term use of a year or more. The researchers compared weight loss and changes in blood pressure for up to two years, and the risk of heart attack, stroke or death for up to three years, according to a patient's duration of medication use.

The study found that people who stayed on phentermine longer experienced greater weight loss than those who took the drug for three months or less, and longer-term use was not associated with increases in blood pressure or increased risk of heart attack, stroke or death.

"In general, the longer patients were on the medicine the more weight loss they had," Lewis said. "Not surprisingly, when patients stopped taking the medicine weight regain was common."
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    Well what you posted, if cross validated and considered to be the "truth", argues that there were "only" 41 incidents of cardiovascular disease or death (0.3%) and no significant differences in terms of cardiovascular disease or death between using for three months or two or three years.... so, on the basis of that article, why would you NOT keep on using for three years?

This was 41 in 13,000+. MFP has a few million. So we can easily off a small town!🤷🏻‍♂️
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,531 Member
    Options
    It's a suppressant. But it DOESN'T teach you how NOT to overeat. Once you're off of it, habitual behavior of overeating returns. You need to retrain yourself on eating and create a new habit. That's how lean people stay lean.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,560 Member
    Options
    I used to take Topomax for migraines. I would advise not to try this at all. You might lose weight but it isn't in any way a healthy way of doing so.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is all bad. It is very similar to meth. All of the stimulant drugs can cause heart damage. I haven’t heard of Topamax being prescribed for the main purpose of weight loss. Maybe that’s a new thing. It is typically used for migraines and other things.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Phentermine is all bad. It is very similar to meth. All of the stimulant drugs can cause heart damage. I haven’t heard of Topamax being prescribed for the main purpose of weight loss. Maybe that’s a new thing. It is typically used for migraines and other things.

Topamax is used to counteract weight gain that happens with various psych meds. That’s what it was originally prescribed to me for. Migraines getting better was the bonus that kept me on it for as long as I was. It’s a rough one though—the side effects are pretty pervasive and stayed with me the whole time I took it.
  • KL1887
    KL1887 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I’m on topomax (it’s known as topirimate here), I use it for migraines and cluster headaches. The side effects of this medication are ridiculous and I wouldn’t advise people to take it unless absolutely necessary.
  • nooshi713
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

Topamax is used to counteract weight gain that happens with various psych meds. That’s what it was originally prescribed to me for. Migraines getting better was the bonus that kept me on it for as long as I was. It’s a rough one though—the side effects are pretty pervasive and stayed with me the whole time I took it.

What side effects have you experienced from Topamax?
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

I’ve been off of it for several years, but the two biggest side effects were near-constant tingling in my hands and feet—like the way it feels when your foot falls asleep, but all the time. Cognitive symptoms were pretty bad too. I’d just blank out for several minutes at a time. It was like I was just gone for a bit, stuck in place and completely spaced out. Not distracted or daydreaming or anything, just….blank. Didn’t matter if I was doing something or just hanging out, when it happened, it happened. Fogginess, inability to find words happened pretty consistently too. Beyond the physical side effects, I believe I also found out that it interacts with hormonal birth control, making it ineffective. I decided that I’d rather have a headache than a baby, so I weaned off of it and luckily haven’t had too many problems with migraines since.

People that take it commonly refer to it as Dope-amax, because the side effects are so pervasive.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I was put on Topomax for chronic vesibular migraine. The migraines were easier to live with, the Topomax helped me lose weight, but it also almost made me lost my job. Dreadful side effects.
  • nooshi713
    Options

Wow, scary. I have suffered from migraines for years and doctors have offered it to me before. Never took it. I’m a PA myself but don’t typically prescribe this so am not the most familiar with it. Every medication insert tends to have a long list of potential side effects so it is hard to know what to expect. Thanks for your responses.

I’ve been off of it for several years, but the two biggest side effects were near-constant tingling in my hands and feet—like the way it feels when your foot falls asleep, but all the time. Cognitive symptoms were pretty bad too. I’d just blank out for several minutes at a time. It was like I was just gone for a bit, stuck in place and completely spaced out. Not distracted or daydreaming or anything, just….blank. Didn’t matter if I was doing something or just hanging out, when it happened, it happened. Fogginess, inability to find words happened pretty consistently too. Beyond the physical side effects, I believe I also found out that it interacts with hormonal birth control, making it ineffective. I decided that I’d rather have a headache than a baby, so I weaned off of it and luckily haven’t had too many problems with migraines since.

People that take it commonly refer to it as Dope-amax, because the side effects are so pervasive.
    I was put on Topomax for chronic vesibular migraine. The migraines were easier to live with, the Topomax helped me lose weight, but it also almost made me lost my job. Dreadful side effects.