Women in Menopause tips and support for these changing times

Options
2»

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Thank you friends! All of this information is very helpful!

I am happy you felt free to speak about your plant based diet. Studies do show that is a very healthy way to live! I try to do meatless Mondays; the guy who cuts my hair says it can even take a year to change from carnivore to vegetarian or vegan. He suggests making small changes like one meal a day plant based and things like that.

I find that when I am stressed, my hot flashes increase. I start sweating like crazy! Sometimes, I do a five minute meditation in the morning before getting out of bed to set a positive intention.

Thanks again for all your posts! I am learning a lot from you!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I find I get hot flashes when I eat a lot of delicious bready carbs (dinner rolls and pasta, for example) so I can’t over-indulge in those, lest I pay the price. Sometimes I get full-on PMS, increased hunger, tiredness, and then…. Where the hell is my period????? It’s no longer predictable and I’m afraid to wear light colored pants! So that’s a real pain. My mom was finally finished at age 57, so I’ve got at least 4 more years of this!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and have been in perimenopause for about 5-7 years now. I have had horrid hot flashes and night sweats and had trouble sleeping. I am currently taking some supplements that greatly reduce these symptoms but find that I have to switch every 4-6 months because my body becomes accustomed to the formulation. It is what it is ... I have tried to not get frustrated with it.

I am not a good candidate to take low dose BC or even HRT due to pre-existing autoimmune issues. I would not take them anyway because at my age, they have risks including heart attack and stroke. Yeah, no thanks! I rather deal with the symptoms.

By far, the biggest issue has been my weight. The CICO method is not working for me so I have been playing with macros but I still have not found the "sweet spot" so to speak. I am not doing strict keto but have followed a lot of the principles. Right now, my macros are 35% protein, 35% fat and 30% carbs ... I initially lost 20 pounds late last year but I guess that I became less diligent about weighing food and reading food labels and gained 15 back. I have started again. I am discovering that this time though, and after recovering from COVID, I have a sensitivity to the sugar substitutes so that means I can't make keto desserts or eat keto bread. I can still have straight up monk fruit and stevia in drinks but not when it is mixed with Erythritol ... in the meantime, I will still work hard with my meal planning and just keep moving to burn calories! I have a feeling that before the year is out, I will rejoin my local gym and get a few training sessions with someone who is well versed in menopausal women.

• Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    TBH, when I quit drinking alcohol, my hot flashes pretty much went away, and I lose weight much more easily. Generally sleep much better as well. I’ll be 52 in a couple months. Stupid period still comes right on time though 😡😂.
  • Bluebirdday72
    Bluebirdday72 Posts: 11 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    50 here and have been in perimenopause for at least two years. My cycle is still totally regular, but for the last two years all of my period seems to come out in one day. I started staining the bed again! Haven’t done that since I was a teen.

The main symptom I have been having for the past nine months is servere insomnia. I have been trying every supplement under the Sun. I have moderate luck with Valerian and Skullcap herbs, and melatonin, but have recently added some amino acids to see if that helps. Oh and Accupuncture.

I found a good herbal supplement that I feel keeps my moods even and really helps with the night sweats. It is called Women’s Balance by Gaia. I take one at night, and I very rarely get night sweats. When I go off it they come back.

I recently started taking a powder supplement/drink at night too called PURE Just relax. It has helpful relaxing amino acids and Insitol, which is supposed to be hormone balancing. I do feel more energetic since taking it, maybe because my sleep is a bit better. Not perfect, but better.

I get plenty of exercise (1 1/2 hours a day in average) and follow all the common sleep hygiene advice. Still only get two or three solid nights rest (6-7 hours) a week, then some really bad nights each week (3-6 hours). The few days before my period, forget it, I may as well just stay up all night and not even try and sleep. I do use Emerita Progesterone cream per my doctor’s instructions but don’t notice a difference with my sleep or heavy periods.

Still trying to lose 30 pounds. When I consistently track, I usually do lose weight but it is slow going.