How do I stop binging after fasting?

90% of the time, I binge after fasting. It’s really making me feel discouraged and disgusting. I need some advice, please.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,808 Member
    edited September 2022
    A few things. If your fasting because it's become popular for weight loss and now your giving it a go and you don't really understand the nuance of fasting then your probably back eating the types of food that have brought you to this point.

In the early days ( a decade ago) most people that found fasting were generally the demographic that ended up trying a lower carb or ketogenic diet, and within that realm intermittent fasting was quite common and talked about. Now that it's extremely popular everyone is giving it a go and when they fail they generally find someone or something else to blame and especially if it goes against their ideology, which is human nature for the most part and they blame fasting or the concept.

Intermittent fasting is mostly about hormones, biology and hormonal regulation but if we continue to eat the foods that deregulated our hormones to begin with then it's going to be a fail, and why it's important that we do research and hopefully get a better understanding. imo.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,808 Member
    Stop fasting. Definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result.

You could replace the word "fasting" with any popular weight loss program and be 95% accurate that your definition would apply.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Stop fasting. Definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result.

This 💯 Fasting is not some miracle weight loss cure.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited September 2022
    Another vote for not fasting.

Last year, I lost almost 40 pounds while eating from 11 AM to 11 PM. I refer to this as IF 12:12 :lol:

I support fasting for people for whom it is a good fit. It does not sound like you fall in to this category.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,120 Member
    That's easy. Quit fasting. It obviously doesn't work for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2022
    A few things. If your fasting because it's become popular for weight loss and now your giving it a go and you don't really understand the nuance of fasting then your probably back eating the types of food that have brought you to this point.

In the early days ( a decade ago) most people that found fasting were generally the demographic that ended up trying a lower carb or ketogenic diet, and within that realm intermittent fasting was quite common and talked about. Now that it's extremely popular everyone is giving it a go and when they fail they generally find someone or something else to blame and especially if it goes against their ideology, which is human nature for the most part and they blame fasting or the concept.

Intermittent fasting is mostly about hormones, biology and hormonal regulation but if we continue to eat the foods that deregulated our hormones to begin with then it's going to be a fail, and why it's important that we do research and hopefully get a better understanding. imo.

Umm what does that even mean?

OP, if something is a trigger, eliminate the trigger.

• jenrocks5
    jenrocks5 Posts: 5 Member
    I fasted for over 3 years and only saw results with long fasts (20+ hours) which was hard to do most of the time. I also got into eating more un healthy foods (less fruits and veggies and more processed junk) and eating WAY more than I needed and wanted to. I decided to quit and focus more on CICO and bringing back more veggies and fruits. IF works for a lot of people, but not everyone. It's okay to stop when it's not working for you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,925 Member

You could replace the word "fasting" with any popular weight loss program and be 95% accurate that your definition would apply.

Well yes, of course.

And same advice would apply - if IF, not eating after 6, eating ice cream, having tomato's for lunch, any xyz, etc etc triggered binging - Stop doing xyz.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Fasting ain't for you if this is an issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Nicoles0305
    Nicoles0305 Posts: 313 Member
    I’ve been following IF for nine years now. I’ve had to try every variation to find what works best for me. One of the biggest lessons I learned along the way is that too much fasting leads me to bingeing. I cannot do OMAD or extended fasting for this reason. A nice and easy 18:6- 16:8 schedule, however, works extremely well for me.

Consider that, if you really want to stick with IF, you may have to try another approach. Luckily, IF can be basically whatever you want it to be. The typical ones are the 16:8, 18:6, 19:5, etc. but I’ve done everything- 17:7, 20:4, etc. Find what works for you and run with it.
  • proworker88
    proworker88 Posts: 3 Member
    In my experience, fasting leads to binge eating. Sometimes I fast when I hit a plateau during weight loss. Honestly, if you are active and are in a calorie deficit (consistently) you will lose weight. Think of it this way. I could "fast" and only have 2 meals a day. Or I could have all 3 of my meals and stay active to where my breakfast meal is burned off by the end of the day. So it's like having only 2 meals a day anyway. So why fast? Not knocking it. It's not practical in my experience and everyone is going to have different experiences with fasting. Good luck!

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Doctor, it hurts when I twist my leg this way and jump up and down.
    Doctor: then stop doing that!

But seriously, yeah if fasting makes you binge, then DON'T FAST. It's clearly not working for you.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,291 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Another vote for not fasting.

Last year, I lost almost 40 pounds while eating from 11 AM to 11 PM. I refer to this as IF 12:12 :lol:

I support fasting for people for whom it is a good fit. It does not sound like you fall in to this category.

Ha-ha-ha .. 12:12 is actually a very good fasting window. It means you have let your body have a chance to empty your stomach and given it a rest before stuffing it full again.

• azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    I tried fasting for a day. I can see benefits to mind and spiritual connections, if someone is into that stuff. But nope never doing it.