"Friend" Said "You'll never lose weight!" I've lost 119 LBS! HOWโ“โ“ The 5% Challenge ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ

Options
Dianedoessmiles1
Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,125 Member
When we make our changes it's amazing how many support us, but it's also SHOCKING the ones we'd THINK would, who do NOT do so!! I HAD such a friend. We'd been friends since the 7th grade, we are in our 60s now. When I told her 12 years ago she LITERALLY LAUGHED AND LAUGHED!! I'll tell ya that HURT SO BADLY, but it also MOTIVATED Me to prove her wrong!!

She did NOT leave it at that ,,, she also would buy me Reeses and make my favorite yummies. She'd bring them to me when others were around so I could not tell her off in the way I wanted to. WELL AGAIN I used this as a motivator, because dang that HURT SO BADLY!! Fast forward to 2 years ago when this came up and she said "NOW I AM THE ONLY REALLY FAT ONE!!" BINGO!! Than I realized it was NOT really ABOUT ME!! It brought out her own insecurities. That made it a little bit easier. Until I said I wanted to be at 155 before I determine if that's enough (I started at 288) again she LAUGHED!! I'll tell I have some control that night for I wanted to PUNCH HER!! But, LOL I do not think I'd look good in stripes and in jail. She can be glad I thought of that first!!

Many of us have someone(s) who may not cheer us on (often our closest associates, family, friends) I NEEDED SUPPORT to get through this!! Below please tell me if you've experienced this. IT STILL HURTS in her anger, I STILL use those words, that evil laughter, to SPUR ME ON!!

Where did I find my courage and support? A good part of it came from finding the 5% Challenge (At first on Sparkpeople which closed in 7/22 so we looked and looked (I am one of 5 leaders) for a site that we could transfer over to without having to change the 5% Challenge to much and MYFITNESSPAL WON OUR HEARTS!!! VERY MUCH SO!! YEAH!! SO here we are!!

Here's the description of the 2022 Fall 5% Challenge By @Kaliswalker Join this supportive team and let's have fun as we lose 5% of our weight, make new friends and improve our health! Race to Fascinating Places for 8 Weeks. JOIN us to write your own success story! Open enrolment, join any time.

We do work on healthy habits, this week (Week 1) we are working on tracking our food (We can use MFP, or ANY site we desire, even paper and pen!) and to know our BMR (Link is in the challenge post under week 1) and of course exercise AT YOUR current level please, slowly work up if that's your desire. BEST OF ALL THE SUPPORT is tremendous!! That's my "secret" which is NO secret, we need support. Each team is approximately 30 members so we get to know each other better. If time is an issue, that's okay too! If you desire to post your exercise and the healthy habits points (LTGL=Living The Good Life) and weigh in once a week, that's fine too.

Here's the link to this AMAZING Challenge which is now happily being accepted by many long time MFP members also!!Oh when you hit JOIN please post under here for a "seat on the airplane" (This will all make sense as you do it,,, for each minute we exercise we "move the plane 1 mile" watching all 8 team planes "land" (success!) ๐ŸŸขPost Only Here for a Team Seat Request!๐ŸŸขNew members will be added throughout the challenge

LINK TO THE 2022 FALL 5% CHALLENGE
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143596-2022-fall-5-challenge-community-team-plz-join-us

Replies

• JustJ2014
    JustJ2014 Posts: 5,386 Member
    Options
    You have done an amazing job of not only losing your excess weight but motivating others along the way!! Thank you for being YOU!! ๐Ÿค— ๐Ÿฅฐ
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Diane, this is so hard to read, that a friend would go to such levels to denigrate and sabotage your efforts. You hit the nail on the head when you said that it was her own insecurities. Hopefully someday she'll be able to use your success as inspiration for her own health journey.

I can attest to how wonderful the 5% challenges are. I was in a number of them on Sparkpeople and also here on MFP. The leaders in these seasonal challenges are incredibly motivational, the members are so supportive and caring, and the weekly challenges help to reinforce healthy habits. While I'm taking a break from the challenge for the fall, I expect to be back in the spring.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    @JustJ2014 you do amazing also!! TY TY TY for your support on both the 5% And Spark Friends!
    @SparkSpringtime69 ,, Its so strange how she doesn't think it's hurtful to me. We are no longer BFFs no one needs to have anyone in their lives who treats us badly. I rarely see her and when I do it's in a social setting. She's not a bad person, she's just not supportive. Not only of me, but others also. She's hurting I have no doubt, and I feel so badly for her, but we can't cure/help anyone who won't help themselves. I had told her that if she's taking care of herself I'll cheer her on. I know it's from the sidelines, I can't/won't hurt myself in the process. We'll HAPPILY welcome you back!! Please contact Ceri, or myself for an invite/date.
  • Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,801 Member
    Options
    You are a remarkable inspiration to us all and the 5% Challenges have helped many not only to lose weight, but maintain and stay accountable after reaching goal. I for one, would have regained all the weight I had lost, 60+lbs, if I wasn't doing the 5% Challenges.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    You are a remarkable inspiration to us all and the 5% Challenges have helped many not only to lose weight, but maintain and stay accountable after reaching goal. I for one, would have regained all the weight I had lost, 60+lbs, if I wasn't doing the 5% Challenges.

TY TY TY Cat!! We are so happy you are with us!! I have NO DOUBT i'd of given up at some point,, hitting a plateau is so hard, and where most become so discouraged and figure this journey is not working for them. THANKS to the 5% the friendships we form ,, we keep on going. It'd be GREAT If you did a post with our before and after pic included. It's a AMAZING how fantastic you've done also!! Please include a link to the 5% for us.

REMEMBER ALL once you join PLEASE Post under the feed: ๐ŸŸขPost Only Here for a Team Seat Request!๐ŸŸขNew members will be added throughout the challenge
  • DNjoys
    DNjoys Posts: 7,346 Member
    Options
    Diane, I've watched you battle and overcome many obstacles and curveballs life has thrown at you. You are an inspiration! I find the 5% Challenges invaluable in helping me not to give up, or keep putting it off till tomorrow (which never comes). I like that it is a short term commitment. I can do it for 8 weeks, take a few weeks off (but still with support) then come back and do it again. We've just started a new 8 weeks and today was my last day for any off plan foods. I've figured out a solution to what was tripping me up and am now in it to make serious progress between now and Thanksgiving. I'm a leader on one of the teams and we love to see new members. It's still very early days and we'd welcome anyone who wants to join our current 5% Challenge. I love that everyone is welcome - whether you can exercise the full 2 hour limit per day, or struggle to do a little physical therapy or chair exercises; whether you have a lot to lose, or are in maintenance and want to stay there. We all contribute what we can from where ever we're at.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    @Dnjoys, OH GF I've watched you climbed mountains that no ever should!! But, you did and you've come back so very strong!! We are thrilled to have you as a leader. I am so happy to have you not only as a leader, but also a friend. TY TY TY TY for doing the In Between Challenge on the 5% with me and a few others!! REMARKABLE is how that went!!! You do an amazing job also as a leader!! YO your team gives ours and Fit Force some serious competition, though it's all in good fun, and to see our members not only lose the weight, but watch their confidence go up (as ours has also done) to feel comfy with who they are, at the time they are now in. WTG DEE!! TY TY TY!!