Sourdough advice!

Options
2»

Replies

• enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    I make about 4 boules of sourdough bread every couple of weeks or so (usually 2 plain and 2 cranberry-walnut) using the Tartine Bakery formula and method. Even after 2+ years of making sourdough, it's taken me this long to realize that when I had slack dough, it usually came from over-proofing. I used to let my dough rise after shaping for a couple of hours before even putting it in the refrigerator for the second rise. Lately, just after shaping, I put the bannetons and whatever other vessel I'm using to shape in the refrigerator right away. It's much easier to score the dough when it's cold. I do use a lame from Amazon, but basically it's a stick that you attach a razor blade to it.

My formula is 45% AP flour, 45% Bread flour and 10% Whole Wheat flour, 20% (100% hydration) pre-ferment, 75% water and 2% salt. The bread flour I find also gives the bread some good strength and always get some pretty good rise out of it. I tried using all AP + WW, to save some money on flour, but sadly the bread flour really is needed (at least for me) to truly get good rise.

I think that the larger proportion of Whole Wheat flour would necessitate changing the hydration level and overall makes a softer dough.

I do use a dutch oven to get the effect of a steam oven, but have also done the roasting pan with ice cubes underneath my baking stone when I do ciabatta. For the ice cube method, you only need it for the first 15 minutes, then I take it out of the oven and drop the temp down for the rest of the bake. All your oven spring comes in the first 15-20 minutes regardless if it is in a dutch oven or using the steam method.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Have you tried - if you're interested in trying - adding some amount of vital wheat gluten at the same time as increasing the whole wheat flour?

Truly a lightbulb moment here! I bought Vital Wheat Gluten from an online retailer (WholeFoodsOnline I think) to make Seitan and discovered I don’t really like the texture (too meaty and fibrous) so I have the remainder languishing in the cupboard. I don’t know if it would work to up the gluten content for the lower gluten flours to help in bread making but I’m definitely going to do a bit of research and experiment with it! 😊

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    Options
    I use liquid whey leftover from making skyr or yogurt in leiu of water when making a no-knead loaf.

The last batch if skyr is pretty tart because I forgot and left it separating in the pot longer than normal.

But the tart and sour whey made the best loaf yet. For a no-knead, it has a really good flavor. They’re usually pretty bland. Very sour-dough’Ish.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Loads of great ideas, here! I am another who cooks boules in a preheated dutch oven, which does the steaming for me. But, I'm planning on moving on to other shapes, so these other steaming methods will be helpful. @enlightenme3 - cranberry walnut sound amaaaaazing, can you share how much you add?
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    beabria wrote: »
    Loads of great ideas, here! I am another who cooks boules in a preheated dutch oven, which does the steaming for me. But, I'm planning on moving on to other shapes, so these other steaming methods will be helpful. @enlightenme3 - cranberry walnut sound amaaaaazing, can you share how much you add?

I add 200 grams each of chopped walnuts and craisins - adding right before the second round of stretch and folds. It takes a few rounds for it to all get incorporated, but it does eventually.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I add 200 grams each of chopped walnuts and craisins - adding right before the second round of stretch and folds. It takes a few rounds for it to all get incorporated, but it does eventually.
    Thanks! I'll give this a try with my next batch!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Have you tried - if you're interested in trying - adding some amount of vital wheat gluten at the same time as increasing the whole wheat flour?

Truly a lightbulb moment here! I bought Vital Wheat Gluten from an online retailer (WholeFoodsOnline I think) to make Seitan and discovered I don’t really like the texture (too meaty and fibrous) so I have the remainder languishing in the cupboard. I don’t know if it would work to up the gluten content for the lower gluten flours to help in bread making but I’m definitely going to do a bit of research and experiment with it! 😊

I too have lots of a bag of Vital Wheat Gluten leftover from making seitan. I believe I added 1 t VWG per 1 C of all purpose flour to create a substitute for bread flour.

https://www.savorysimple.net/how-to-make-cake-flour/#:~:text=Bread flour ingredients: Vital wheat,What is this?&text=You can add it to,essentially creating homemade bread flour.

I think I got it for much less at the supermarket, but here it is online:

https://smile.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Gluten-22-ounce/dp/B000QSL51E/
  • kshama2001
    Options
    If you have a big cast iron enameled dutch oven or something similar that is the best way to get a crusty loaf heat the dutch oven empty for an hour or so, When you are ready to bake quickly drop the loaf into the dutch oven (using a towel to lift it out of the banneton helps and put on the lid. The bread will make its own steam in the small container of the dutch oven as it bakes and the crust will get crisp. Take the lid off for the last 10 min if it isn’t brown enough. You can also just use a hot pizza stone and set the bread on it and then cover it with a cloche - a large pot or dutch oven turned upside down. I have also used a quart container of ice (just throw the ice in the bottom of the oven just as you put the bread in and it will melt and create steam, but I find that isn’t intense enough as the closed super hot baking compartment approach.

For scoring, use a razor or a lame. A knife doesn’t make thin enough cuts in my experience, And move quickly, firmly and decisively, Cut only once, No retracing.
    good luck!

I love the Cook's Illustrated Almost No Knead Bread, which uses a Dutch oven. That recipe is behind a paywall. This is almost the same, but uses a cloche, so the shape is different, but the technique is very similar.

https://breadtopia.com/cooks-illustrated-almost-no-knead/
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I’m just getting into making sourdough (made regular bread lots of times but new to sourdough). I need to create steam in my oven but I have a regular fan assisted electric oven. Lots of methods online, but would be good to hear first hand from anyone successful how you do it. Also struggling to score the bread as my starter (Bert) appears to make naturally wet loaves. They’re tasty and rise really well, but difficult to score as the dough attacks the knife. Give me your hints please!

I use the self steaming Dutch oven method above but would certainly try the pan of water method other posters mentioned.

Since I bake in the winter and prefer the temperature in my house much lower than "normal," I proof in the oven, where I make it warmer and moister by adding boiling water to a 8x8 pan and adding it to the (cold) oven when I stick my loaf in to proof.

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/baking-101-what-is-proofing-learn-how-to-proof-breads-and-other-baked-goods

Proofing Glossary: 11 Baking Terms You Should Know

9. A proofer (aka proofing oven, proofing cabinet, dough proofer, proofing drawer, or proof box) is a warm area (70-115°F) designed to maximize proofing by keeping dough warm and humid. You can DIY a proofing box by placing a loaf pan at the bottom of the oven and pouring 3 cups boiling water into the pan. Place the bread on the rack above, and keep the oven door closed. Do not turn on or heat the oven at all—the hot water will keep the closed oven warm and moist.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    This was a dangerous thread for me to read as when the weather gets cold here in Massachusetts, it feels like baking season and I have problems moderating home made baked goods.

Just consider the batch of gingersnaps I made yesterday. I was rushing to get out of the house and foolishly stored 24 of them in a tin in my room instead of someplace less accessible. I'm not even going to admit how many are left today... :lol: