Weight loss during breast cancer treatment

Options
Hi friends!! I’m trying to start back on this motivation train after a whirlwind of a year. I was diagnosed with Stage 2 ER/PR + HER2 - at 33 (Feb 22). Needless to say I used every excuse to eat. I found many!! Still needing exchange surgery and 6 weeks of radiation I’m not completely done with all this crap yet. I’m very very tired of looking this weight (216lbs). I’m sure it’s not good for my health either. Looking for friends who are going through something similar and how did you do after the menopause part??

Replies

• joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago at age 38 (unfortunately still not cancer free) but after my first main surgery and radiation I too said enough and told myself it’s time to lose this weight (I was far heavier then you) and managed to lose 80lbs. Add me as a friend or message me. I would also love someone to connect with as I try to lose more weight (I gained some back this past year).
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, when I was diagnosed my oncologist said most women gain at least 20 lbs. I was shocked because I thought the “bright side” of cancer would be radical weight loss. I actually ended up losing about 40 lbs during the treatments and then balooning back and gaining to my heaviest weight ever after it was done due to a number of additional medical issues, depression, and medication (plus chemo induced menopause which I used as an excuse as if I needed any more excuses). I have finally (5 yrs after) lost all the weight and then some. So the good news is that you absolutely can lose weight no matter how bad it gets, the bad news is, if you let yourself, there are so many circumstances that can conspire to make it hard in the short term during and right after treatment. Don’t underestimate the support fatigue of everyone around you who has been getting you through cancer treatments . . . Feeling like I had to pretend to be “all better” the moment the treatments ended, and stop showing concerns about my health so as not to be a burden or crimp the lifestyles of those around me any further was a huge factor for me that I have never actually confessed to my friends and family.
    But you can do it! I have just finished losing 75 lbs and did so without great deprivations or crazy exercise. Just becoming super aware of CICO.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hang in there: With patience and commitment, you can do this!

Why do I think that? I'm a ways out now: I was diagnosed at 44 with stage III BC, 5 tumors in left breast, one in right, but only 1 positive lymph node; ER/PR+, not tested for HER2. Had one modified radical and one simple mastectomy, no reconstruction, 6 months of chemo, 6 weeks radiation, 2.5 years Tamoxifen, 5 years Arimidex.

My doctors told me not to try to lose weight during treatment. Right afterward, I didn't try, but did increase my activity level materially: I felt I needed to, if I ever wanted to feel energetic, strong, and even happy ever again. Seemingly, the activity increase was enough to keep me approximately weight stable - though obese - for a subsequent 15ish years.

That all started 22+ years ago, and I'm still NED at age 66, and still reasonably athletic.

In 2015, I finally accepted that fitness alone wasn't enough to make me healthy, and committed to lose weight. Within a year, purely by calorie counting, I was at a healthy weight, and have stayed in the healthy range for going on 7 years since. I lost only 50-some pounds, but that was nearly a third of my body weight.

The menopause part of this, for me, has been very much less challenging than the cancer and its treatment. The Tamoxifen and Arimidex caused some extra-special menopause-type symptoms, but nothing as challenging as earlier phases of treatment, for me. I strongly suspect that being active was a positive influence on that.

Though we're at different phases now, I wanted to comment on your thread, encourage you to pursue your goals, and let you know that when you do, there can be excellent outcomes ahead.

I'm cheering for you!