Pumpkin Oatmeal

Options
OatmealBowl
OatmealBowl Posts: 82 Member
Fall is here! And all the cans of pumpkin were gone! **shrieks**
So I used pumpkin pie puree, but I note that if you do have a can of pumpkin puree (unseasoned)
just add some pumpkin pie spice to this baby. Yum! :heart:

You can see all the pretty pics to this baby, here: http://www.oatmealinmybowl.com/2011/09/21/pumpkin-oatmeal/

Pumpkin Oatmeal fit for a Pumpkin King

Ingredients

1/2 can pumpkin pie puree *
1 cups water
1 cups unsweetened almond milk, or water
1 tablespoons raisins (golden or regular)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal (not the instant kind)
1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Honey or maple sugar (optional)
Heavy cream (optional)

Instructions

In medium saucepan over high heat, combine the pumpkin puree, water, milk, raisins, and salt. Bring to a boil.
Add the oatmeal. Turn the heat down and cook according to your oatmeal instructions; mine usually takes about 5 minutes. Stir often.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, toast the pepitas until they're fragrant and a gentle golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Once the oatmeal is cooked (each grain should be tender), serve with honey or maple sugar on the side, pepitas to sprinkle on top, and cream.
*If you use a can of pumpkin puree, add 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice to mix.

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I have a version of this as well, I use old fashioned oats, a half can of pumpkin puree, cayenne pepper, salt, honey, and top with sliced almonds. I eyeball it...whatever I fell like that day. YUM!
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I give a lot of my foods that pumpkin taste with just the pumpkin pie spice---love that stuff in my shakes, cookies, etc.
  • murphymae2
    murphymae2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds and looks good!
  • cmath81
    cmath81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    looks like the best pumpkin oatmeal yet. . . . .can't wait to try! thanks for posting!
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MB_Boston
    MB_Boston Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I truly can not wait to try this & can't believe I didn't think of it on my own. THANK YOU!
  • xhaller
    Options
    Are pumpkin seeds hard to find? I'd love to try this, so I will have to look for them!
  • OatmealBowl
    Options
    Oh, cayenne...that sounds like a yummy additive. :)

I left mine vegan without adding the cream and honey. I bet a bit of maple syrup would be good to it.

Thank you all for your great replies! I am using the left over pumpkin pie puree to make pumpkin muffins. Found a recipe, two ingredients, Spiced cake mix and pumpkin puree. Yum.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Not usually-- try Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or just your grocery store. Sometimes they are called pepitas.
  • OatmealBowl
    Options
    If you have a Fresh & Easy in your area...they are loaded with a variety of nuts, too! At a great price.
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    I had a recipe for something like this awhile ago, but it wasn't very good. Not sure what was different about it, but it was a bit lacking. This looks pretty good, though, so I'll give it a go.
  • Constance260
    Options
    I wonder if a Mexican grocery store or health food store would carry Pepitas??
  • Felesina1
    Options
    Have you tried this as overnight oatmeal versus warm/cooked oatmeal?
  • OatmealBowl
    Options
    I have not tried this as an overnight oatmeal. But have thought about it. ;)
    Will let you the results if I do make it as an OO.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I will be making this for breakfast tomorrow
  • Effy826
    Effy826 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump